What's new

Show us your butterscotch brushes!

Wow, I always assumed my butterscotch that dark were much older than 70's... I guess it has more to do with the exact makeup of the plastic and how it was kept?

I've trimmed my collection way, way, way down lately.

Still got some stragglers and keepers.

Unknown Maker w/ mixed hair reknot. No clue who made this handle, but possibly the most comfortable shape I've ever used.

Chubby 2

Kent Barrel

Kent Vase (seen it called their "army" brush)

Simpson AS3 w/ mixed hair reknot

Maderite iirc, with a UHD reknot

Another of the first handle someone reknotted (poorly) with a black badger knot. Keeping it in case I ever want to make another brush/try a new knot.

Second best shaped handle I've ever held. Some German Manufacturer, iirc.

Vintage Beehive shape

Vintage Simpson, I Think it's a giant Emperor.

Last pic:

Simpson
Simpson
Simpson
Unknown
Triumph
Simpson
EverReady 750 w/ mixed hair knot
EverReady 750
Some German maker
Simpson

Wow! Nice collection! :thumbup:

my favorite Butterscotch is the Rover
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Are these brush handles "born" this way, or is this an amazing coloration process that takes place over time? ...and if so, how long will it take before my Simpson brushes get all butterscotchy???

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Are these brush handles "born" this way, or is this an amazing coloration process that takes place over time? ...and if so, how long will it take before my Simpson brushes get all butterscotchy???
All modern shaving brushes will not become butterscotch, sorry. Materials (mainly Catalin, guess to some extend Bakelite as well) used in the past started out as the typical ivory color we all know. But then over time, exposed to light, they turn ore or less into butterscotch colored brushes. I really do not l know how long these materials were used, maybe Simpson can chime in here.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
It is my understanding that vintage butterscotch handles have acquired their colour due to aging and possibly even started life being white in colour. Yhey were made from different materials such as ivory, catalin, and lucite. Modern butterscotch handles are simply coloured that way at the point of manufacture to in some way emulate a vintage brush and do not change over time. So, your modern Simpson brush will not become butterscotch. I could be very wrong here.

Yep,

Butterscotch were white/offwhite/fake ivory colored plastics. They turn orange and then brown naturally over time.

Other colors existed. A lot of the marble everready based brushes are VERY different than originally... most were bright, almost neon colors before, now they are toned down, deeper hues of their original colors.

My two Butterscotch tinies (by Shavemac):

18/47 Silvertip D01
B+FatipOC_2018-09-21.jpg

20/44 Silvertip D01 2-Band
B2+FatipOC_2019-04-05.jpg

Just to be awkward, I currently use the measurements at/from the top of the handle... so the actual knot size is 2mm smaller than shown.

My Shavemac (designed by me) Butterscotch DE razor handle has an M4.5 x 0.75mm thread specifically for my Fatips... but amazingly it fits every other DE razor I have (barring my iKon Tek).

To answer some of the members questions about butterscotching. This Simpson started out ivory and naturally turned the butterscotch color due to age. This is my only one, unfortunately the Simpson sticker didn’t last long after I starting using it after this photo was taken. Might replace the sticker, might not, undecided right now

Larry
2D5B0796-5334-455D-8584-2266E145C9B9.jpeg

My two Butterscotch tinies (by Shavemac):

18/47 Silvertip D01
View attachment 1084876

20/44 Silvertip D01 2-Band
View attachment 1084877

Just to be awkward, I currently use the measurements at/from the top of the handle... so the actual knot size is 2mm smaller than shown.

My Shavemac (designed by me) Butterscotch DE razor handle has an M4.5 x 0.75mm thread specifically for my Fatips... but amazingly it fits every other DE razor I have (barring my iKon Tek).

@Cal , Your tiny butterscotch Shavemac prompted my first butterscotch Shavemac purchase. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Cal
To answer some of the members questions about butterscotching. This Simpson started out ivory and naturally turned the butterscotch color due to age. This is my only one, unfortunately the Simpson sticker didn’t last long after I starting using it after this photo was taken. Might replace the sticker, might not, undecided right now

Larry
View attachment 1084919

Nice brush! :cuppa:

Top Bottom