What's new

3 minute rule

gillette, schick, bic, edge are all saying that even guys who shave in the shower are supposed to put on shave gel/foam and let it sit for at least three minutes, what can someone do in the shower in the mean time they wait for these 3 minutes? does proraso, tabac, and mitchell have the same 3 minute rule?

Shave after the shower . Best prep is a good old shower , then shave soon as you dry off. Throw on the cream and shave , what could be easier. Shave in the shower a waste of water . What’s the advantage of shaving in the shower ?

That claim has been made for years. They claim that letting the lather sit on your beard helps to soften it. IMO, thats one of the advantages of face lathering. While you are building the lather, it softens your beard.
I know that if I still used canned foam/gel or some kind of latherless cream/gel, thers no way Im going to rub it into my beard and then wait 3 minutes before I shave.

This is a first for me. I have never heard of this rule before. I certainly do not let the lather sit for three minutes on my face. I start shaving immediately after I finish lathering my face and I am happy with the lather.

If I remember correctly the 1976 study shows that proper hydration of the hair is what makes an impact on force to cut. The same study shows that the lather itself contributes little or none to the reduction of the force to cut.
I might be wrong.

This is a first for me. I have never heard of this rule before. I certainly do not let the lather sit for three minutes on my face. I start shaving immediately after I finish lathering my face and I am happy with the lather.
I started do this , letting lather sit on my head while I shave the beard, and the quality of my head shave improved by an order of magnitude or two. It's science Jack.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Interesting read:

Another interesting read: The male beard hair and facial skin – challenges for shaving

And more: Male skin and ingredients relevant to male skin care

Well, first thing I do with face still wet is apply a pre-shave oil. I give that time to work by loading in a new blade and rubbing the alum block on my armpits as a deodorant. Then I apply a cream with my hands, then shave.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have heard of these studies. I couldn’t be bothered. If I left the lather on for 3 minutes it would probably dry out and be horrible to shave with. But... if you do it and it works for you then stick with it. It is all about what can give YOU the best shave.

What works for me is to give my whiskers a lengthy splash of hot water from the sink. Then a thorough face lathering. I shave the toughest parts of the beard last so that the lather sits there the longest.... softens the hair even more.

gillette, schick, bic, edge are all saying that even guys who shave in the shower are supposed to put on shave gel/foam and let it sit for at least three minutes, what can someone do in the shower in the mean time they wait for these 3 minutes? does proraso, tabac, and mitchell have the same 3 minute rule?
When I use to regularly shower shave I would face lather and then wash my body. That gave the beard an extra minute of soaking or even a few minutes if I wanted to pause and enjoy the hot water massage on my back. Then re-lather and shave. I found that was the best way to get a decent shave with minimal time spent getting ready in the AM.

I could understand the need for allowing the foam or gel to remain on the face for three minutes if you were shaving without showering. However, if you shower first and use soap or shampoo to clean your beard, your beard should already be properly hydrated. Perhaps they are suggesting you not wash your beard first and use THEIR product to clean your beard.

Mwah I rarely shave outside of the steam sauna and I make sure to use pre shave soap so that 3 min mark is easily done. What I do notice that too long or hot will soften skin more and easily nicks

Top Bottom