What's new

Any outdoor + motorcycle fan here?

Just traded my HD UltraGlide Classic for a HD RoadGlide. Unfortunately my riding season has ended for this year. Looking forward to spring.

Just traded my HD UltraGlide Classic for a HD RoadGlide. Unfortunately my riding season has ended for this year. Looking forward to spring.

The road glide is a wonderful bike! Put on the leather, flip on the grip heaters, and give that lady some exercise!

Here's my baby. We have seen most of the country together. Honda Goldwing GL-1800

DSCN1979.JPG

I rode a Yamaha Exciter 250 as a young college student. Years later, with no small children underfoot, I rode a Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 for a few years, then moved to a Honda VTX 1800R for 12-13 years, and then finally to a Yamaha Royal Star Venture 1300. None of them much good off road, but I surely enjoyed traveling the highways and bi-ways! My wife also rode, first a Yamaha Silverado 650, and then a Yamaha Tourer 950. We probably rode together through half of these United States at one time or another. Favorites included riding through Rocky Mountain National Park, a variety of twisties around Johnson City, TN and western NC (Tail of the Dragon, oh my!), the mountains around Boise, ID, mountains around St. George, UT, and a whole bunch of other locations.

My first "ride" was a Honda Aero 50 scooter in the 80s. That thing didn't even hold a full gallon of gas (but could go about 80 miles on a tank), had a top speed of about 48 mph if I was going downhill with a strong wind at my back, and I loved it.

Bikes I've owned include:
Kawasaki Vulcan 500 (great size for learning to ride--for those looking at the Rebel 300/500 I highly recommend starting on something this size). My Vulcan could do a max of about 85 and I rode it on the California freeways. Lucky I didn't die with all the lane sharing I was too young and stupid to think wasn't risky.

Honda Shadow 750
Honda CTX 750

And my current ride, as of a few months ago, is a Can Am Ryker 900. The day I traded in my 2 wheels for 3 I was really worried that I was making a mistake, but I ride the Can Am more often than I did my motorcycles. It feels more like a go kart, but is a blast to ride. I have no regrets and I may trade up to a Spyder in a few years.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Man, I've got a few and love to ride. Sadly, I haven't had much time to recently ... but 50 years of fun and racing!
Not as many as @ajkel64 but close!

1970 Hodaka Ace 100, street legal
1970 CZ 250cc motocrosser, Maico tank, hasn't started in 35 yrs.
1978 SR500 Yamaha, low mile street single, not running atm
1972 BMW R75/5 toaster, solo saddle cafe racer
1989 Kawasaki baby-Ninja 250, commuter
2004 Yamaha R6, loud pipe for thrills to Alice's (bay area hangout)
1952 Zündapp 200cc two-stroke, slowly being restored

Wish I'd never sold: Bultaco Pursang 250cc flat-tracker

05A6026F-B2E5-4BB1-949F-8A8566FA1BD9.jpeg

2019 BMW R1250RT
The most recent addition to my riding stable dating back to 1976. Included would be 6 other BMWs, 5 Harleys, a Yamaha, a Suzuki and too many dirt bikes to list.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
My first bike was a 1976 Suzuki TS75 on my 10th birthday. Then I started racing motocross on a 1983 Honda CR250.

Then it was on to street bikes.

1979 Honda CB750-4
1982 Yamaha XJ650 Seca Turbo
1985 Suzuki RG500 Gamma
1986 Suzuki GSXR750

Of them all, the Gamma was the most fun. The Seca was fun too. The turbo came on pretty hard but it was really hard to ride and stay in the boost.

The roads are to dangerous for me now. Drivers just dont pay enough attention. I dont have the reflexes of a 20 year old anymore either but I sure do miss riding, dirt bikes especially.

If I was to get a new bike, it would be the BMW S1000 RR.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Y'all might enjoy perusing this old thread.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Oh yes, I took part is Hare Scrambles/Cross Country racing when I was younger. I spent much of my youth exploring the catskill mountains every summer on a dirt bike, free as a bird. Great times!

I don't ride much anymore, I considered getting back into it but undecided. I love tinkering on old bikes, I have a couple.

My last project... 1972 RT2 360 that I restored. Running and registered
RT2.png

My current project is a 1981 Yamaha IT175. Soon to be finished (Hopefully!). I'll post up a pic when it's back together.

When I moved to San Diego when I was 20, I brought my CB900F SuperSport that I bought right before I left for the west coast. That bike was 80% of my transportation for 10 years, until I moved from Southern Cali.
Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 10.30.04 PM.png

(Pic borrowed from the internet)

Last edited:

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I ride a moped. Yamaha QT-50.

Those are cool!

...Did you know there is a resurgence of smaller motorcycle, such as the Honda Super Cub? I really am ogling that one for city rides, but my wife's gonna kill me if I buy it. One is enough she says!

That Super Cub is a great looking scooter. Honda has done a great job with coming up with some of their modern icons. Like the CB1100 & Super Cub. Did you see there's an electric version of the cub that's coming out?

Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 10.37.45 PM.png

And they've re-launched the Monkey bike too...

Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 10.41.54 PM.png

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Those are cool!

That Super Cub is a great looking scooter. Honda has done a great job with coming up with some of their modern icons. Like the CB1100 & Super Cub. Did you see there's an electric version of the cub that's coming out?

View attachment 1035067

And they've re-launched the Monkey bike too...

View attachment 1035068
Why thank you!

As to the electric one: never knew there was such an animal!

Many moons ago, I rode my QT up town to the hardware store. I never use a helmet, I'm a wild man! Anyhoo, I pull in and turn off my moped. But I thought that it was still running as I could hear a motor running. Nope. I look over to my right just as a giant of a man is parking next to me on a giant Harley. Helmet laws in Michigan back then. He was the stereotypical dude. Spike on his helmet, black leather vest, biceps bigger than my head. I don't believe I have ever been looked at with such disdain. He was so convincing I even felt like something terrible stuck to the bottom of his boot!

I'll tell you another good moped story later. It is a perfect example of what not to do on a moped!

FarmerTan

Why thank you!

As to the electric one: never knew there was such an animal!

Many moons ago, I rode my QT up town to the hardware store. I never use a helmet, I'm a wild man! Anyhoo, I pull in and turn off my moped. But I thought that it was still running as I could hear a motor running. Nope. I look over to my right just as a giant of a man is parking next to me on a giant Harley. Helmet laws in Michigan back then. He was the stereotypical dude. Spike on his helmet, black leather vest, biceps bigger than my head. I don't believe I have ever been looked at with such disdain. He was so convincing I even felt like something terrible stuck to the bottom of his boot!

I'll tell you another good moped story later. It is a perfect example of what not to do on a moped!
PS: I now NEED an electric one. Too cool!

shavefan

I’m not a fan
PS: I now NEED an electric one. Too cool!

The electric bikes are coming on. I watched a video where a guy raced one in a hare scrambles event and took first place in his class against all the modern 2 stroke KTM's and such. I could do an electric, maybe. But the smell of 2 stroke oil/race gas is not something I could do without, I think.

Honda electric prototype MXer
Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 11.18.22 PM.png

FarmerTan

The electric bikes are coming on. I watched a video where a guy raced one in a hare scrambles event and took first place in his class against all the modern 2 stroke KTM's and such. I could do an electric, maybe. But the smell of 2 stroke oil/race gas is not something I could do without, I think.

Honda electric prototype MXerView attachment 1035076
Easy fix for ya: buy an electric and use the mix for aftershave!

I rode a Yamaha Exciter 250 as a young college student. Years later, with no small children underfoot, I rode a Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 for a few years, then moved to a Honda VTX 1800R for 12-13 years, and then finally to a Yamaha Royal Star Venture 1300. None of them much good off road, but I surely enjoyed traveling the highways and bi-ways! My wife also rode, first a Yamaha Silverado 650, and then a Yamaha Tourer 950. We probably rode together through half of these United States at one time or another. Favorites included riding through Rocky Mountain National Park, a variety of twisties around Johnson City, TN and western NC (Tail of the Dragon, oh my!), the mountains around Boise, ID, mountains around St. George, UT, and a whole bunch of other locations.

I wanna do the Tail of The Dragon. But it's kinda scary due to all the horror stories you read about it! The other riders - wanting to show off - are the real danger ☣!

I did not find it too challenging. However, I must add, I started out of the gate strong. A few minutes into the ride I was pulled over by a state trooper who had an acomplice hidden in the trees with a radar gun. I couldn't believe it! They will not have me as a visitor again!

Top Bottom