What's new

Any outdoor + motorcycle fan here?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Have you ridden any of the new fuel injected inline 4s? I had a 2009 R6 for awhile, and the top end on that bike was flat out violent.

I heard that from a friend that rides a Suzuki Bandit. It has the 'busa engine without the race bike looks. He went to the Bandit from an old Yamaha RD500 and says the new bikes are insane.

I'd love to get on a BMW S1000RR but I know its not a wise idea lol.

True dat! It's almost impossible to blow up an inline 4, I've tried! Also, once you understand carburetors and how they work, you can really snag up "headaches" from guys and have them running in minutes for cheap. Have you ridden any of the new fuel injected inline 4s? I had a 2009 R6 for awhile, and the top end on that bike was flat out violent. It pulled like a freight train and was all electronic chip controlled, fly by wire throttle, wideband 02... I had a nice race header, 4 into 1 with a shorty muffler, a Power Commander V that utilized the downstream 02 sensor as a wideband controller that adjusted fuel and ignition timing on the fly. It was neat bike, once my daughter was born, I sold it and got that old Hornet 600 which is a slug compared to the R6. Honda is way more comfortable though.

I have, last inline 4 I rode was a S1000rr. It's scary how confident those (new) bikes make you feel. A true, false sense of security. Way too easy to ride beyond your capabilities. I could never own one.

I have, last inline 4 I rode was a S1000rr. It's scary how confident those (new) bikes make you feel. A true, false sense of security. Way too easy to ride beyond your capabilities. I could never own one.

Look up "NESBA Track Days". Did a couple of those at the Millville NJ's Thunderbolt and Lightning Courses. A little pricey, about 300 bucks a race. You have classroom setting all day learning track lines and proper body positioning, what NOT to do, etc. After you do that, they take you out in skill level based groups determined by your (duh) understanding and comfort level. There is Advanced Group, Intermediate and Novice. I thought I was garbage, turned out I fell right into intermediate group and was keeping lines on some of the scaredy cats on the 1ks. You learn quick that a good 600 rider can smoke a liter bike. I couldn't really afford it anymore after the big 3. Wife, house kids.

Now I ride old and cheap dirt bikes, stay within 3-5 miles of my property at all times and take things slower. I'd like to live longer because I've gotten bit a few times and at my age, 35; i can't afford to get smacked by a Mack truck at 150mph cutting cars or doing highway wheelies😜😆
I heard that from a friend that rides a Suzuki Bandit. It has the 'busa engine without the race bike looks. He went to the Bandit from an old Yamaha RD500 and says the new bikes are insane.

I'd love to get on a BMW S1000RR but I know its not a wise idea lol.

Great taste man! We have a deAler down the road and I sweat those bikes. Talk about a technological marvel of a beast.

2017 CRF250L.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
2017 CRF250L.

That would be a fun bike.

The friend that rides the Bandit, has a friend that has a Husky SuperMoto. I thought he said it was a 750, but I can only find the 701.

U4GM2CM7KFFRZJ2DO4EFE43KFU.jpg

Thats the bike that got me thinking about a CR500.

The CR500 is a ***** cat compared to the bike the guy I rode with had when I had my CR250. He rode a 1982 KTM 495. That thing was a monster.

bikepics-1232856-full.jpg

I just found this.

He didnt have a chance, and that Yamaha was a fast bike too.

What's funny is most people who owned those 500 smokers were too afraid to ever get them into the powerband. I work part time for a friend as a helper in his bike shop, whenever we get an older well cared for bike that was bought at an auction like that, they always get good compression and are super clean, but are always gummed up. Half the trouble in the cycle world are the damned fuel and PCV systems or lack thereof lol on some of the Harley's.
That would be a fun bike.

The friend that rides the Bandit, has a friend that has a Husky SuperMoto. I thought he said it was a 750, but I can only find the 701.

View attachment 1056867

Thats the bike that got me thinking about a CR500.

The CR500 is a ***** cat compared to the bike the guy I rode with had when I had my CR250. He rode a 1982 KTM 495. That thing was a monster.

View attachment 1056873
Love me KTMs and Huskies, especially the new ones. I hear parts are very scarce for those old 80s ones. I've come across a few in the wild that were rough but probably worth the rebuild. Just couldn't find parts on demand. I'd love a new KTM 300XC or a Gas Gas 300. My current ride get a little hairy and tiring fast with an MX suspension and powerband in the rocky single track. Lots of clutch work and tire spin all the time lol. Suspension rattles your teeth. I'm 145 lbs, we got light springs in the forks, tried playing with the fluid levels to get it softer, but it's still stiff compared to how a newer Showa or WP fork rides. (like a Caddy)

I'd like a CR or KX 500 just for the cool and pucker factor. I've got 900 acres of coal roads behind my house for it. 😁

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I was about 190lbs when I was riding all the time. I'm 215 now so not that far from it. A 500cc 2 stroke pulls hard enough for me and the 1986 CR500 didnt have such a light switch powerband so its a bit easier to ride than the older 480 or even the early CR500's. Well, on dirt anyway lol.

That sudden spike in power is what made the Gamma such a difficult bike to ride. In gears 1-3 it was virtually impossible to keep the front end on the road and even in 4th I just had to wiggle back a bit, roll into it quickly and the front end would just climb. All throttle, no clutch.

Awesome fun, but very tiring. On a track, well even cornering on the road, that sudden burst of power at 8000 would kick the back out like you were on ice if you got on it just a tiny bit too hard or too soon. Its a very fine line between in control and oh ****! lol.

Theres nothing quite like it. They needed to be ridden hard too. They love living at red line!

Here's my Triumph shortly before I sold it.

bike.jpg

A good friend of mine has four. A 1968, two 1969's and a 70 hardtail chopper he built and took 1st prize at the bike show after he built it.

He also has two Harleys. A 1992 Heritage Nostalgia and a 2005 Super Glide with a lot of work done to the engine. Both of those bikes have been crashed from other drivers pulling out in from of him. His 92 6 years ago and that claim was just settled last month. He wasnt seriously hurt but the other driver pulled out in front of him turning left and he hit them head on at 40mph. He had enough time to stand on the floorboards and jump over the car and landed on his back but nothing was broken, except the front end of the bike. That driver had no license and no insurance. He bought the bike back from his insurance company and rebuilt it with a new frame.

The same thing happened the summer before last on his 2005.

In the picture below, he was traveling from the right at 25mph through a construction zone. A truck turned in front of him, safely, but then the car behind that truck, followed the truck around the corner and right into him without looking for oncoming traffic.

Capture+_2016-06-11-19-54-10.jpg

He's laying on the ground in front of the car. He was unconscious for 15 minutes and doesnt remember hitting the car. His whole left side was broken above his pelvis. 11 ribs in 29 places, left shoulder, left shoulder blade, left arm and left side collar bone. I went to see him in the hospital a week after it happened. He's still recovering when I was over to see him yesterday. 25 miles an hour.

Thats why I dont ride anymore.

I understand the risks (especially riding in NYC) but couldn't see life without riding. It's such a great way to unwind even in traffic. There is no experience like it imho.

I used to commute daily, but it ended when I was run off the road last year. My head bounced pretty hard on the ground, a few scrapes, but nothing broken, other than the bike. I finally got it back in service this summer, but no longer use it for commuting. Sad, though, as the Vulcan is a pleasure to ride. The roads around me simply have gotten busier and crazier.
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I rode a Nomad for several years. Put ALOT of miles on that bike, both commuting and traveling. Great bike. Comfortable ride. Drug the floor boards and pipes nearly off that thing LOL. That bike and I rode the dragons tail more than once. Have owned too many to list, but currently 2009 CVO Road Glide and the wife follows along on a 2001 Sportster. In the wind, we find solace

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I understand the risks (especially riding in NYC) but couldn't see life without riding. It's such a great way to unwind even in traffic. There is no experience like it imho.

I agree. Or I would if I could lol. My problem is I was never a 'rider'. I've always been a racer. I cant help myself and I know I'm past my prime for bikes, but I'd take a spin in an Audi R8 lol.

Not that it makes much difference at that speed....

Last edited:
As of now the plan is to take a 3 day course next spring and get a Honda Rebel 500. I think that’s a good starter bike. From there I’ll upgrade to a Harley eventually. Unsure which one.

Can't go wrong with a Honda LOL. You will find yourself wanting an upgrade sooner than you think, regardless of what you get. It is sort of an addiction, lust for power? IDK. But cost more than RAD.

So jealous! My plan as well. The course bit. Almost automatic pass. Then get a Rebel 250. They go nearly 80, I hear, and anything I drive I drive too fast. Hence the mopeds, lol. Harder to kill myself at 28 mph, and I despise helmets.
The rebel has a cultish following. Google it. They ride those things coast to coast and more moles than a lot of us ride our bikes made for touring. They may not win a race, but wind in the face is wind in the face. May have to extend the pegs if you got legs and do not like knees in your arm pits.

I wanna do the Tail of The Dragon. But it's kinda scary due to all the horror stories you read about it! The other riders - wanting to show off - are the real danger ☣!
I am sure it is a YMMV type situation, but when I have ridden it, I never had any trouble. A few sporties being a bit obnoxious but most just enjoying the beautiful ride. LOTS of other beautiful rides in that area. More than I have been able to see......that reminds me, I need to go to schedule a trip back LOL

Top Bottom