What's new

Comical exchange at “Art of Shaving” store

The one thing AOS has that I can’t find anywhere else is their Bourbon scented products. I’ve tried other bourbon brands but much prefer the AOS EDT.

As others have said, welcome to the forum.

That is pretty funny. I'm also a woman who just recently started wet shaving. I asked my mom about it, and it was not a big deal to her, since she said that's what everyone, men and women, did prior to the 70s, if they didn't use electric shavers.

I've also known several women barbers (one shop in my neighborhood is owned by a woman), and I saw a woman barber shave a man's face with a straight razor. She had both a barber's license and a stylist's license. In Ohio to get a barber's license one must be able to shave with a straight razor.

We don't have AOS stores here, but I wouldn't be surprised if barbers visited them just to look at their wares, especially if they offer discounted prices to professional barbers.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

That is pretty funny. I'm also a woman who just recently started wet shaving. I asked my mom about it, and it was not a big deal to her, since she said that's what everyone, men and women, did prior to the 70s, if they didn't use electric shavers.

I've also known several women barbers (one shop in my neighborhood is owned by a woman), and I saw a woman barber shave a man's face with a straight razor. She had both a barber's license and a stylist's license. In Ohio to get a barber's license one must be able to shave with a straight razor.

We don't have AOS stores here, but I wouldn't be surprised if barbers visited them just to look at their wares, especially if they offer discounted prices to professional barbers.

Oh, how I wish there were such a barbershop as you describe in my neighborhood!

I rather doubt that many barbers would go to an AOS shop... from what I've seen, their stuff is WAYYYY overpriced, and not anything like professional-grade.

My only AOS store experience was two Christmas shopping seasons ago. My commuting train station is right across the street from a downtown vertical shopping mall. I dropped in to see what it was like.

I immediately found the AOS, went in, and saw a middle-aged woman speaking to the salesman, explaining that her husband wanted to try out an "old fashioned razor, like his dad used." There were numerous zamak razors he was showing her, without any input as to which might fit the husband best. The dialog was all about price. I strolled over, and volunteered my help.

I explained to both of them what I knew about the various razors (EJ, Merkur, Muhle, etc.) which, admittedly was not much, but they both appreciated that I knew much more than the sales guy. (To the salesman's credit, he thanked me for my help.) She bought the razor I recommended, grasped my hand, and thanked me for my help. One of my many moments of enjoyment with this little hobby.

My only AOS store experience was two Christmas shopping seasons ago. My commuting train station is right across the street from a downtown vertical shopping mall. I dropped in to see what it was like.

I immediately found the AOS, went in, and saw a middle-aged woman speaking to the salesman, explaining that her husband wanted to try out an "old fashioned razor, like his dad used." There were numerous zamak razors he was showing her, without any input as to which might fit the husband best. The dialog was all about price. I strolled over, and volunteered my help.

I explained to both of them what I knew about the various razors (EJ, Merkur, Muhle, etc.) which, admittedly was not much, but they both appreciated that I knew much more than the sales guy. (To the salesman's credit, he thanked me for my help.) She bought the razor I recommended, grasped my hand, and thanked me for my help. One of my many moments of enjoyment with this little hobby.
Which razor that you recommended did the woman buy for her husband?

Which razor that you recommended did the woman buy for her husband?

You might think it odd, but I can't even remember. I believe it was the Merkur 34C, based on the fact that the 34C was the first DE razor I used. I did warn her that if he enjoyed the experience, it could become expensive. She laughed and said he could use a hobby in this price range.

AoS being always a handy flogging horse .. let's see, in 2009 or so, Aos was a shelf at the cigar store .. literally that's where I bought my first brush,

A couple years later, they have their own store at the mall. I'm not a mall type, but I did go in, once. Salesfolk weren't other than other retailers, meaning they didn't know squat.

Today they still dog me with emails, I thought the new scent sounded nice, only to find that "my" brick and mortar had ceased operations

They have great products in software, hardware not at all. I will still buy software, but think that they are shrinking their footprint

When I visited Indianapolis in September of 2017, went into an AoS store in one of the local malls and bought their sample size “starter kit” as I’d never used their stuff and wanted to try them out. When I moved to Indy 7 months later the store had closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom