What's new

Best shaver

If we're talking current production I must say Böker. A bit pricier and a bit better. This is my subjective opinion.

If price is not a concern, I would suggest you look at a few other manufacturers as well. I prefer Boker to Dovo, but you can do even better with Ralf Aust, Heribert Wacker, and Brian Brown, etc. . If you have money to burn, there are quite a few excellent custom razors available, but they won't necessarily shave any better than the others mentioned.

I’d recommend buy whatever new pretty razor makes you smile as you hold it. The reason to buy a new razor is to be a patron of an otherwise dying industry, and appreciate that there are still old masters hard at work everyday crafting tools by hand and eye that appear to be perfect.

The Boker will likely shave a smidge better, but neither will beat a handful of vintages at half the price or less. If you’re buying new, consider your desires as a patron of the arts.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I do love my Bismarcks, both original and Dovo Bismarcks. I like the Prima Klang. But apart from a very few notable exceptions I would agree that the new Bokers have a slight edge over Dovo razors, especially in the lower price tiers. And I will agree with other posters, that you can do better than Boker, too, if you are truly seeking out a superior razor. A vintage Henckel, maybe, if you want German. Wacker? Never had one but I wouldn't mind a bit, I am sure. Everyone loves a Wacker, so if you want a new razor, consider one of them over Dovo or Boker. Japanese Western style razors are great shavers and sometimes pop up for pretty decent prices on fleabay.

Everyone loves a Wacker

Mmhmmm....

But that whole post is right, if you’re after German steel plenty of oldies but goodies. Many people go crazy over Pumas but I’ve never shaved with one. Alot of serious connoisseurs seem to own a Henckels Friodur or vintage Henckels 14.

Some of the very best shavers aren’t names that fly around on the boards either. If someone stole my Filarmonica 14, I’d shrug it off and pocket insurance money. If someone stole my Tanifujis, or all my vintage American blades I might actually cry for a bit.

If someone stole my Tanifujis, or all my vintage American blades I might actually cry for a bit.
I'm with you on the Tanifuji.

I have a couple of Bismarcks, Dovo and pre Dovo. Two Fili's, 14 & 13 plus a small selection of Sheffields and Solingen's.
Two months ago I bought an old Tanifuji going cheap and just can't put it down. Took a great edge that seems to be lasting. I'd swear it's getting better everytime I strop it, shaves so smooth and effortless.
Japanese razors are definately worth exploring.

All these razors are equally capable of delivering a great shave. Don't sweat it. Ask 100 guys for the "best shava" and you will get 100 different answers. The one you like is probably going to be that one. I've shaved many many different razors. Blind test honed the same way? You would NEVER be able to tell the difference. Many barbers razors on eBay. A slew of different makers. Most made in Germany as they produced at the time a large majority of these types of tools. If straight shaving came back today in barber shops like the old days I can guarantee an overwhelming majority of the barbers would use a gold dollar.

I’d bet you’d see very few barbers using gold dollars unless they liked honing in front of customers 3x a day...

Skilled Professionals working with their hands tend to find the most efficient tools for the job. Do you see plenty of Harbor freight tools on job sites? Sure- in rough framing where things are likely to be stolen or dropped from 30ft before they have a chance to wear out. When the cabinet maker shows up to finish out the kitchen, built ins, crown molding, and custom doors... the harbor freight crap is nowhere in sight. You might even catch a glimpse of the rare Mafell or Hilti in the wild! Same is true of auto mechanics. Plenty of garages have harbor freight tool chests, and honestly their 72tooth ratchets and certain chrome sockets aren’t the worst. I’m not dropping my nice truck off at a garage though unless I see some Snap-on kicking around.

A straight razor shave would always be a boutique, time consuming process. Not something rushed or fulfilled with bargain equipment to eek out a profit margin.

If you’re honing a razor daily like “the method” all razors are the same. If you’re doing things the old fashioned way, honing on rocks at intervals and watching an edge peak and then decline over the course of many many shaves... there’s a great difference between different steels and razors. Could I tell the difference between two of my razors on a first shave if I only felt the edge on my face? Not likely. Could I feel a difference between them during honing and over the course of multiple shaves as they decline? Bet I could.

Last edited:
I've gotten close to 100 shaves with nothing but clean linen and leather on a GD 66 on one hone on a stone. I don't use the method. This edge retention "thing" hasn't showed up for me. Meaning I don't see any meaningful difference in the longevity with any of my razors. And I own 8 or 9 vintages and new razors for every one gold dollar I have. I have to believe my own eyes.

Interesting discussion. When I am working on a tractor or doing some plumbing I am able to use the tools that belonged to my grandfather. I liked Plumb, Crescent, John Primble, and Ridgid. He taught me to get good tools because good tools last, not that cheap tools don't work.

The drama usually begins when a member suggests that unless there is pedigree the dog won't hunt.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I've gotten close to 100 shaves with nothing but clean linen and leather on a GD 66 on one hone on a stone. I don't use the method. This edge retention "thing" hasn't showed up for me. Meaning I don't see any meaningful difference in the longevity with any of my razors. And I own 8 or 9 vintages and new razors for every one gold dollar I have. I have to believe my own eyes.

I have to agree with you on the edgeholding of the GD. It really is no different than the average production razor in that regard. The trick is getting it properly honed in the first place. Well, of course that is also the trick with a new Dovo Best, for that matter. I don't use The Method because it is a GD. I use The Method simply because I crave a higher level of sharpness and I do not want to ever pick up a razor, take a few swipes, and go "hmmmm... edge might be going a bit off after so many shaves...). But I do my vintages and my Bismarcks the same way. The steel is not so different, and there are no significant or discernable differences in hardness unless you just get an "off" razor. The only reasons for a barber to not use a GD are the sometimes troublesome initial setup and bevel, and the (let's just be honest and say "UGLY") appearance. In fact, given a well set up GD66, I would rather a barber with not a lot of straight shaving experience shave me with a GD66 than a Henckels 401 any day because there will be less bloodshed.

Hmmm ok I just haven’t gotten a gold dollar in many years because I was so turned off by the first few... it sounds like the ideal form or QC still aren’t there with the GD, but maybe i need to get a newer sample to play with. The gold dollars I’ve gone through ALL had crappy edge retention but to varying degrees, and honestly they just never seemed to take a REALLY keen edge on natural stones. They were the only razors I’ve ever disposed of in the trash, and I used to even strop DE blades for an extra shave or two. I hang onto a horribly broken unusable Filly 14, but tossed the GDs. This must’ve been late 2013 ish, so maybe ancient history now.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Hmmm ok I just haven’t gotten a gold dollar in many years because I was so turned off by the first few... it sounds like the ideal form or QC still aren’t there with the GD, but maybe i need to get a newer sample to play with. The gold dollars I’ve gone through ALL had crappy edge retention but to varying degrees, and honestly they just never seemed to take a REALLY keen edge on natural stones. They were the only razors I’ve ever disposed of in the trash, and I used to even strop DE blades for an extra shave or two. I hang onto a horribly broken unusable Filly 14, but tossed the GDs. This must’ve been late 2013 ish, so maybe ancient history now.

The grinding sucks. It is horrible. The steel is decent, though. Too bad you didn't get in on the recent passaround. A couple of heavily modified (i.e. unrecognizable) Gold Dollar #66 razors and a .1u diamond/balsa strop. A few guys got their first experience with the balsa strop and also with the optimized GD66.

I will be honest. I don't care for a stock GD66. I find a tuned up 66 takes a much better edge, for my style of shaving, than a stock 66. I don't care for the fat bevel angle of the stock razor. But I am kind of spoiled, and some guys are totally fine with the edge you can put on a stock GD66. So YMMV. If you don't need to take the edge that far, then the bevel angle is not a dealbreaker.

Yeah, you may want to revisit the GD. You can also pick up one of the new "W" series GD razors, that has a thinner spine and takes a more brilliantly sharp edge given the right technique, but the steel is the same. You can also pick up a model 1996 that has the original stock bevel angle, more or less, but is in a much more hone-ready condition. Possibly your honing skills have improved in the meanwhile, too. Anyway, these new improved Gold Dollars are still competitively priced, still the same steel, but closer to what most shavers expect in a new straight razor. Or you could go a little crazy, buy a 10 box of GD66, and try your hand at modding them. Getting rid of the stabilizer, thinning the razor and especially the spine, straightening and aligning the edge, make for quite a good shaver. You can go one further, and improve the appearance of this ugly duckling razor. Check out the annual GD Modification Competition. Some pretty sweet looking razors.

"Best Shaver"? A GD66? Nah. Not in my opinion, unless heavily modded. But still very practical and effective, with an incredible bang for the buck factor, and it is cheap enough to risk a few to the dremel and sander if you want to mod them.

This is one of my Gold Dollar 66 that I modded last year, and I will go with Slash McCoy they are fantastic razors once you sort them out. its been over 7 months since it was last on the hone and its still treetops hairs, I will go as far as say I would put it along side of my dubl ducks with eyes closed you would not know the difference....

20180630_124222.jpg 20180630_125135.jpg

Fit and finish , gold wash, bone, ivory scales etc have nothing to do.with shave quality. These are nice things to have if you want them. The best made razors imo are Japanese westerns. Their grinds are very accurate and thin. But again! Nothing to do with shave quality! IME Sheffield wedges are not ground well by modern standards as 30-40% of them are warped. BUT that doesn't stop anyone from getting a great shave from one. Use what you like. If there was an exceptional razor out there we would all know what it was by now. The holy Grail razor. Keep searching! Lol.

Fit and finish , gold wash, bone, ivory scales etc have nothing to do.with shave quality. These are nice things to have if you want them. The best made razors imo are Japanese westerns. Their grinds are very accurate and thin. But again! Nothing to do with shave quality! IME Sheffield wedges are not ground well by modern standards as 30-40% of them are warped. BUT that doesn't stop anyone from getting a great shave from one. Use what you like. If there was an exceptional razor out there we would all know what it was by now. The holy Grail razor. Keep searching! Lol.

That’s probably the best post in this thread.

It’s interesting we all leaned towards Boker for the OPs question though, and i wonder if we all had similar reasons or if we all think Boker is slightly superior in different ways?

Last edited:
This is one of my Gold Dollar 66 that I modded last year, and I will go with Slash McCoy they are fantastic razors once you sort them out. its been over 7 months since it was last on the hone and its still treetops hairs, I will go as far as say I would put it along side of my dubl ducks with eyes closed you would not know the difference....

I’ve actually never shaved with a dubl duck, which i know is sort of blasphemy since a lot of people use that as a benchmark. If I remember right around 2013 was when those prices started really going up. Even Bob In TN tried to sell me on one for $200some back then as the “best shavers I have on hand right now”.

I’ll have to revisit one of the updates GD models before I talk any more trash, thanks for the recommendations guys.

Top Bottom