What's new

Bought My First MdC

MDC is excellent value over a year:
I'm a daily shaver and using MDC almost exclusively for the last 12 months. I load using a 30mm synth brush for a 3 pass shave. In fact I've used other soaps for about 3 weeks in total over the last 12 months.
I have just bought another jar from their website, and having looked at my order history - my last purchase was January 13 months ago. The current near empty tub has the jar base now about visible but still enough product round the sides for another month (or two?) methinks.
Pretty impressive if you ask me.

Ditto for the value of MDC. On a per shave basis, it is probably considerably cheaper than lower price brands. I have had the original scent, Fougere, citrus, rose, and vetiver. For me personally, the vetiver was the best performer. The lather seemed richer in my hard water and it gave me smoother shaves than the other scents.

I have to say up front that I am an MdC fan. I absolutely love the stuff.

As a caveat though, I don't have any problems with dry skin. Also, I seem to be an outlier in that I 3017'ed a 200 g tub in about three months. I was loading the (big) brush for 10 seconds but doing four passes every day at the time.

I love the simplicity and the perfection of the soap. The scents are absolutely awesome. It is very linear in that it the more water I add, the slicker it gets. It leaves no residue on my face post-shave. It just explodes when lathering it, which is great for lazy people like myself.

I'm currently 3017'ing a tub of SV Tundra Artica. This stuff is pretty awesome too, but I get the impression that the added moisturizers negatively impact lathering. Perhaps the triple milling also does as well, but that effect dies off after using it for several weeks straight and hydrating the puck. As a result, I find SV slightly harder to lather than MdC. Also, for a few minutes during the post-shave, my face can feel sticky so SV is leaving something behind (or I'm not washing my face well enough after the shave). This tends to be a problem if I wipe my face with a towel that has some lint on it.

Anyway, I very much look forward to buying some more tubs of MdC after I finish up my current collection of soaps...

As a caveat though, I don't have any problems with dry skin. Also, I seem to be an outlier in that I 3017'ed a 200 g tub in about three months. I was loading the (big) brush for 10 seconds but doing four passes every day at the time.

I love the simplicity and the perfection of the soap. The scents are absolutely awesome. It is very linear in that it the more water I add, the slicker it gets. It leaves no residue on my face post-shave. It just explodes when lathering it, which is great for lazy people like myself.

I'm currently 3017'ing a tub of SV Tundra Artica. This stuff is pretty awesome too, but I get the impression that the added moisturizers negatively impact lathering. Perhaps the triple milling also does as well, but that effect dies off after using it for several weeks straight and hydrating the puck. As a result, I find SV slightly harder to lather than MdC. Also, for a few minutes during the post-shave, my face can feel sticky so SV is leaving something behind (or I'm not washing my face well enough after the shave). This tends to be a problem if I wipe my face with a towel that has some lint on it.

Anyway, I very much look forward to buying some more tubs of MdC after I finish up my current collection of soaps...

Looks like you are in a tough place: cought between two of the slickest soaps on the planet!! :a29:

MdC or SV are both truly great soaps. I'd like to put Tabac, MWF, lI Coloniali and Haslinger in the same league. Anyone of these are good enough to be The One And Only soap for the rest of my life. I'm glad that I've had the opportunity to shave with all of them.

I just notices that the shipping is basically the same for the sample envelopes making the cost about $30 for a sample. It's probably more cost effective to buy the small jar.

Shipping is crazy for buying one item. It actually becomes more reasonable if you order more. If you can place a bigger order, shipping is not that bad.

I currently have MdC Original and Rose. Rose is my favorite soap, and I habitually take huffs from both jars when I'm in need of a good pick me up. Next order (which will probably be in 2020, unless Pasteur's has these in stock) will be Vetiver, Fougère, some bath soaps and EdTs. Maybe Argumes, if only to make the most of the shipping cost!

I exclusively shave my face with MdC and SV. Must I choose which soap is better? My SV simply requires a wetter brush to start and more loading time.

I have the fougere and the agrumes.

The agrumes is a nice lemon scent and doesn't have the typical benzoin smell that most mdc has.

Does the rose have the benzoin scent?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I always order MdC two jars at a time. The last order was $98 including shipping (and they sent a nice sample of bar soap). That was a while back as a jar lasts me a little over a year and I've been rotating in a bit of WK, so it's considerably longer than that.

I have the fougere and the agrumes.

The agrumes is a nice lemon scent and doesn't have the typical benzoin smell that most mdc has.

Does the rose have the benzoin scent?

Maybe slightly... The only time I was less than thrilled with MdC's benzoin was with a sample bar of benzoin soap, which ended up growing on me.

Excellent post and comparison. I really enjoy both MdC and SV. I'm Italian and also do not have naturally dry skin, so MdC is an outstanding performer for me. I have 200 soaps in collection and these two are right up there. One thing I really enjoy about MdC is its simple, high quality, ingredients. Their manufacturing process is so unique and produces a very pure product. The soap lathers easily, is very slick and protective, and rinses very clean leaving me feeling very refreshed. Sometimes I think that I prefer a pure soap without a lot of "conditioners" just like I prefer separate products for shampooing and conditioning hair. One reason MdC lasts so long is that it is pure soap. When a ton of butters or oils are added, you have less soap. Other times I really enjoy the conditioners that leave the skin feeling improved, especially in the colder months. That's where SV really shines. You can't go wrong with either MdC or SV. Both are in my rotation continuously.

I always order MdC two jars at a time. The last order was $98 including shipping (and they sent a nice sample of bar soap). That was a while back as a jar lasts me a little over a year and I've been rotating in a bit of WK, so it's considerably longer than that.

By far the best way to order! And my soap was packaged quite nicely and the bar soap samples are a nice surprise.

I was considering one of their travel size jars (50gr size). Anyone buy one of these before? Can you load the brush easily in the container?

Placed an order for more A&E NYC soap and AS and as a wimm I asked Leon @ Pastures Pharmacy and he had MdC Rose. YES! It's on the way.

Top Bottom