What's new

Do you lather in the bowl you keep your soap in?

Since I started wet shaving (about 2 mos.), I have opted to load my shaving soap into my brush and then lather in a separate bowl. I primarily decided to do this since my only soap is a DR Harris (kept in the wood bowl that the soap comes in), and it doesn't leave enough room to properly build lather and retain it. That being said, I just purchased a new lather bowl from Jay's Clay, and as such am wondering if I should keep my soap in that new bowl and lather in there... or if I should just put the new puck in the old wood bowl and use the Jay's bowl to lather. Any advice would be appreciated!

I load my brush from the original soap container and then move to a different lather bowl. I have better experience with dialing in the lather with a lather bowl over face lathering.

You aren't supposed to lather on the soap puck. Only use the soap to load, otherwise you will be continually adding soap to the lather, which will waste your soap and prevent you from getting the optimal soap/water mix.

You aren't supposed to lather on the soap puck. Only use the soap to load, otherwise you will be continually adding soap to the lather, which will waste your soap and prevent you from getting the optimal soap/water mix.

Good point and the reason why I ask is because the maker of my new lather bowl states that there are special grooves to help keep the puck in place.

I load the brush and then use a separate bowl (small stainless mixing bowl from Ikea) to lather. As stated above, if you keep lathering on the puck, you'll just be adding soap that really isn't needed.

Or skip the bowl altogether. Load the soap onto your brush and apply the pasty lather to your face. Simply add water to your brush a little at a time until you have created the perfect lather. In my opinion the bowl just adds an unnecessary step. Once I tried face lathering, I never went back.

Good point and the reason why I ask is because the maker of my new lather bowl states that there are special grooves to help keep the puck in place.

There are two ways to use your new bowl:

1. As a loading bowl, hence the grooves to keep the puck in place. You would load the puck then face lather.

2. Load from the soap container and then lather in the pottery bowl.

I personally load from the soap container and then face lather. It helps me understand when the soap is dialed in just right since it’s on my face. Others feel they can get the best lather in a bowl rather than the face. Either method is absolutely okay and it takes some time to develop what you feel works best for you.

And welcome to B&B! Great to have you here!

I learned to lather on the puck when I first started shaving. I put Williams ($0.10 per puck then, about $0.80 in today's money) in a mug worked up a good lather in the mug with wet brush then finished with face lather, got a perfect lather every time, still lather the same way these days.
I use inexpensive but good soaps like Arko ($19.75 per 12) pressed into bowl and a kilo of Cella ($37.00) 1 stick of Arko lasts me 2 months @ $0.82 per month, a kilo Cella lasts over 2 years @ $1.65 per month.
We all have different ways to get a great lather, it's just a matter of choice.

In my opinion the bowl just adds an unnecessary step. Once I tried face lathering, I never went back.
This, what Rodmonster says

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I lather from the soap bowl. Where there is a shallow container like Tabac, I work up a rather thick paste and face lather. There is enough crap in the bathroom already without adding another bowl.

I’ve been loading from the puck bowl, and then adding water and building lather in my palm. Really helps to show how much water can be added to create an awesome lather!

I load the soap, then I move to another bowl which you can see in my avatar picture: lavender interior, with some ridging, and red matte exterior, which give me a good grip.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I learned to lather on the puck when I first started shaving. I put Williams ($0.10 per puck then, about $0.80 in today's money) in a mug worked up a good lather in the mug with wet brush then finished with face lather

That's what I do too with any puck. I have Cella in a bowl from the vendor so that, being soft is just put on the brush and lathered in a bowl or on face. In the future if I get more, I'll go with the brick and cut some to serve as a puck in a cup.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Soap storage bowls and soap lathering bowls are two different things. Load from one, whip up from the other...

AA

Top Bottom