What's new

THEHTGAM/PPF/PH0ENIX/D0UGLAS/H0DGES/FRANCES Thread

Did you try to add even more water to the lather?

I know that many soaps can handle different amount of water to reveal their slickness and Cavendish is one of them.

Now I also know that many guys, because of the bad fame of the owner, simply write something bad for the soap. The soap on its own performs great for me though.

I also think that the owner should be more careful in the past because he lost some good amount of customers.

Thanks @RandySp - I will try that the next time I use it. If that doesn't work for me, I'm ready to move on from it.

I am not posting things about the soap because of the owner, I am posting because it hasn't been working to my satisfaction and was actually hoping someone would shed some light on something I may be doing wrong!

I used Cavenish the other day and had a nice shave, it does take some water to get slick.
I have 4 PAA soaps, one of which is the Crown King formula, I think it has more butters
and such for after shave face feel but I can't say they aren't good soaps. And they offer plenty
of scents. Maybe someone can pipe in regarding the new formula which is supposed to be superior
to the old.

Thanks @RandySp - I will try that the next time I use it. If that doesn't work for me, I'm ready to move on from it.

I am not posting things about the soap because of the owner, I am posting because it hasn't been working to my satisfaction and was actually hoping someone would shed some light on something I may be doing wrong!

Yeah, I know! I wasnt talking about you specifically.

Try starting with more of a wet brush, load for 30-40 seconds, keep adding water when building lather and shave. The lather should be soft on the face & slick as ice.

If you have been successful, have you bloomed the soap and/or allowed it to keep a little moisture in the soap, or do you consistently start with it bone dry in the morning.

i have the PAA Cad, and have to say that its an amazing soap once enough water is added, this brings the slickness.. as for the smell? one of the best 'barbershop' scents i have personally smelled, very similar to B&M seville

I do have the CK-6 formula (Doppelganger orange label) and it is a much better soap.

You do not need to load as much with the CK-6 and the soap does not require blooming. Synthetic brushes requires the smaller amount of soap while you need a little more with natural brushes but still less than with the previous formula.

The soap is also thirstier than the previous version. The new formula also has a better tolerance to hydration, you can dial it in a fairly wide range of hydration. The water is easily worked in the lather.

The lather is not as voluminous as with the previous formula. I will remain fairly compact but still offers some volume without flying everywhere (unless you overload the brush). The lather is really slick and protective, It gave me probably the best comfort level against the grain with my merkur Future set at 6. I actually was surprised how in some place on the neck, I couldn't feel the razor.

PAA proved with this soap you don't need tallow. My only beef against this soap is the price. I understand the price of oils and butters went up but I am a little worry about the price scaring potential customers. As for the new B&M Excelsior, I wish the artisans would maybe do 2 oz pucks at a cheaper price. Beside that, the soap is a premium soap IMHO and totally worth it if in your budget

Marc

After four shaves with the new nickel PAA DOC I achieved BBS comfortable shave, using an Astra blade and a very flat shaving angle.

I ordered the RR SLOC head equivalent from AliExpress and hope to get it soon. I recently got notice that it's in the U.S. so I hope it doesn't linger in customs for too long. I'm looking forward to giving it a go and comparing it to my memories of the PAA DOC.

Gus, I've had RAD kicking in over the SS Ascension for a while now, and with reviews like this (especially about its smoothness and efficiency) it doesn't help! I'm doomed to acquire it, I just know it! Do you know if/when they will have this in stock? Please say you haven't heard the SS Ascension like yours go the way of the Dodo?

Aluminum Ascension is back in the fold for those that are interested. Just received an email notification.

I am interested to hear your review when you receive it. Do you still have the PAA DOC to compare?

I don't have the PAA DOC any longer. I couldn't get a decent shave out of it so I sold it. Prior to that I sold my Gillette Tech because it was too mild but I could still get a better shave off of it than with the PAA DOC. For me, the PAA DOC was the least effective razor I've ever used. I loved the look but didn't like the performance. I'll report back when I receive and get a chance to shave with the SLOC/AliExpress head.

Strangely enough, I find most of the PAA scents to be "too sweet". Their "Twee" scent is no different: Very, very sweet. Not at all my thing. I guess that's just how my "scent tastes" are. I like their CaD; very, very classic manly smell. Women love it. But it's exactly the same as Fine American Blend, which gets the same scent reaction from me and from women as Cad.

I also own PAAs Oud Spice, which is weird for me. I like it in the bottle a lot. But then on my skin, as it dries down, it turns very, very spicy with notes of cinnamon or something else "sharp", which I don't really like. So I have a fairly premium product sitting in a bottle which I'll probably never finish.

Their discontinued scent "Lime Teatree Ginger" is FANTASTIC. Nice lime scent balanced really well by the ginger, which just tones the lime down and makes it more of a "soft lime". Apparently not popular though, as they discontinued it.

The other 15 or so scents of theirs I have tried (in 1mL sample tubes) are all overly sweet for me.

Sorry for long response. Just thought it might help explain my perspective a bit.

Brian.

Sorry, Kevin, I have not. I agree with Brian that Doug’s scents are a bit sweet, but that bothers me less than him. I think the Atomic Age Bay Rum and the Cold Spices are probably the only ones I will continue with into the future (that Bay Rum is amazing) but I do have to say the AS formula in general is great: great skin feel, long-lasting scents.

I’m still absolutely loving the Starling!

How are you guys finding the differences in performance between the OC Emerald plate and the Purple plate with the guard bar?
For me the Purple plate actually seems slightly more efficient and has a bigger range of effective angles.
The Emerald plate feels smoother but seems to require a consistently shallower angle.

With the choice of the two baseplates, the all aluminium construction and the striking aesthetics the Starling is just such a good good razor!

863D691A-ED91-485E-9798-4EF4F6F0929C.jpeg

Top Bottom