What's new

Starbucks layoffs - beginning of the end?

Probably so.
I think they've lately taken on the image of excess and exorbitant luxury. Well, they've always had this image to some extant, but people laughed it off and kept on drinking $5 coffee.
Now that quite a few people are hurting, even people whose financial situation hasn't changed are cutting back and becoming more frugal. We'll lose a lot of business that are viewed as providing an unnecessary product at a premium price.
Bingo
Charbucks....see ya...:biggrin:
yup

As a fellow Hoosier AND Starbucks user, I too am lamenting the Starbucks downturn. My tastes have always enjoyed Starbucks as a good "go to" cup of coffee. When I lived out West, we had a mom & pop shop that imported all kinds of coffees from around the world...it was AMAZING stuff. Starbucks died out in my regimen out there. Here in DC, there is a starbucks on every corner, and it has again returned to the daily ritual.

I agree with what someone else said about their saturation of the market....too many in too many places. It was inevitable that they would let some people go I think.

The only coffee I bought for years was Starbucks French Roast at Costco. It was always good. I don't buy it any more, it seems like their is no quality control, some batches are so bitter and acidic its nasty. I think that overall their quality has gone down. The only time I go to a Starbucks store is when I have a gift card.

To Sully,

The grocery store bags of "Starbucks Coffee" are roasted, packaged, and distributed by Kraft, so don't hold those as a standard of what Starbucks (the company, not the brand) is doing.

To the OP,

This is most assuredly not the "Beginning of the end," despite the hopes of thousands (more probably, millions) of haters.

http://tx-coffee.com/2009/02/06/random-picture-friday-3/

There's a quick summary of what I think.

The longer version goes in a bit deeper than I care to attempt at 2:30am on a shaving forum.

They're not leaving. Not by a long shot. Let's just keep it at that.

Oh certainly not at this point.

I knew when I went to San Francisco a few years back and could see three stores from one location they were overextended.

And I drove by again this morning, the line was still long.

I have a whole system. If there are more than 3 cars in line, I go in. If there are less than 4 empty spaces in the lot, I don't go in.

They're getting slooooooooowwwww.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I have a whole system. If there are more than 3 cars in line, I go in. If there are less than 4 empty spaces in the lot, I don't go in.

They're getting slooooooooowwwww.

You're not kidding.

I've always maintained that they could double their business if they started an express line for drinks that take less than twenty seconds to prepare or pronounce.

You're not kidding.

I've always maintained that they could double their business if they started an express line for drinks that take less than twenty seconds to prepare or pronounce.

You mean like a double tall venti turbo mocha with a shot of whipped cream and a few shakes of cinnamon on top?

You're not kidding.

i hate waiting for a cup of black coffee because someone needs a super sugar/frothed coffee that no longer tastes like coffee.

The big question is, how is the global economic enema affecting the independent coffee house?

My regular independent haunt here in Oakville, the Green Bean is still busy but running with slighty reduced winter hours.

To Sully,

The grocery store bags of "Starbucks Coffee" are roasted, packaged, and distributed by Kraft, so don't hold those as a standard of what Starbucks (the company, not the brand) is doing.

To the OP,

This is most assuredly not the "Beginning of the end," despite the hopes of thousands (more probably, millions) of haters.

http://tx-coffee.com/2009/02/06/random-picture-friday-3/

There's a quick summary of what I think.

The longer version goes in a bit deeper than I care to attempt at 2:30am on a shaving forum.

Boy, you can learn something new everyday. :smile:

IMO, excellent news. Though I'm not a regular customer (though was previously), it would not be good for them to go away for a variety of reasons.

The big question is, how is the global economic enema affecting the independent coffee house?

My regular independent haunt here in Oakville, the Green Bean is still busy but running with slighty reduced winter hours.

I don't have access to the financials of my local independent :smile:, but based purely on perceived activity, the effects may be negligeable. noticeable.

Loathe them or love them, Starbucks still employs people. When my son was desperate for a job a couple of years ago Starbucks offered him a job that provided him benefits and income. Hardworking people now rely on these jobs to provide benefits and income for families who in some cases have lost a significant portion of their lively-hood. It's easy to hate them when they are a faceless entity, but attach a family story and it adds a different twist. I am not a customer(as I don't drink coffee) but,I hope they can withstand the current financial situation.

harrumph! Starbucks has a kiosk at my work - had a nice 12 ounce cup with a shot of expresso in it this morning...quite addictive! and $2.00 even... hmmmm.

Starbucks offered a pretty amazing list of benefits to employees, including healthcare. Those benefits aren't free, and I could never figure out how the necessary money could be generated by serving coffee. Apparently, it wasn't.

Still, I hope our local franchise stays in business. They serve coffee in real mugs, and it's so much better when you don't get the aroma and taste of cardboard mixed in with your coffee. For the brew-your-own types, Peet's is just wonderful. Try the New Guinea and Major Dickason's.

Top Bottom