What's new

Above the Tie - Above the Crowd

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
FWIW, I never had any problem using the Schick Proline blades in my SE1/SE2. I wonder if it is an anomaly in the blades that you have? It seems odd that they fit mine and not yours. Have you done a visual comparison between your schick proline blades and another SE blade to see if there is any difference in the slots?
Just to add to that. I just finished an AC comparison series and one of the blades used with all four types of razors was the Schick ProLine blade. It fit and worked in the Hawk V1 & V2, the brass Colonial General and the ATT SE1.

Blades fitting tight in the first production run of the ATT SE1 was a known problem. It worked ok with Feather blades for me so I was fine with it. It wasn't until I tried to put a Schick Proline into it that I had a problem. Their blades must on the tight side.

Hey Stan, when can we see those stainless badger brushes, it's almost 2018! ;) ;)

Not sure about stainless brushes but with 2018 just around the corner I have been thinking of a few additions to our aluminum razor line.
We could add open comb plates for the Clayspo line and perhaps a slant head. For our SE line we could add an AL SE2 plate as well.
What do you think? I would like to have your thoughts on these possible additions.
Thanks for your comments in advance.

Not sure about stainless brushes but with 2018 just around the corner I have been thinking of a few additions to our aluminum razor line.
We could add open comb plates for the Clayspo line and perhaps a slant head. For our SE line we could add an AL SE2 plate as well.
What do you think? I would like to have your thoughts on these possible additions.

Great idea, Stan! I would LOVE to see an OC, Slant and and/or OC Slant in the Calypso line!! :thumbup:

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.

I and my banker are very strongly opposed to the idea. It would be foolish in the extreme for you to add any new products and in fact you should immediately discontinue those products you have introduced and that I have so far resisted buying.

My banker says do it NOW!

Open comb Calypso for sure.

After buying the Windsor R Recently and falling in love with it (also have the entire main line from ATT), my biggest wish would be to extend the Windsor line with Open combs of all heads, especially an R2 Windsor Head. I would buy that right away.

After buying the Windsor R Recently and falling in love with it (also have the entire main line from ATT), my biggest wish would be to extend the Windsor line with Open combs of all heads, especially an R2 Windsor Head. I would buy that right away.
R2 ATT is awesome. An R2 Windsor is a great idea.

This is probably a really foppish request, but do you think, Stan, you will ever have travel cases in black? All of my leather items, luggage, accessories are black so it would be nice to have a matching razor case.

First, thanks for making such a fine shaving instrument. I have the Windsor SS with an R-plate thus far, and tho a bit aggressive, still very effective with a great soap and preshave.

We talked about an exchange for an M-plate, which I will still order, but I decided to keep the R too.

Next up, the copper!

Some have said it's coated to prevent a patina. That so?

If not, recommendations on products to keep it so beautiful would be appreciated...

I know it would be pricey, but how about one in solid nickel?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello Razordude,
Thanks for the kind words. It is my pleasure to be able to supply nice shaving gear to others who share my passion for traditional shaving.
As for the Copper Windsor, it is coated with a marine grade clear coat so tarnishing will not be a problem. If you want a nickle plated Windsor you could send one of our stainless Windsors out to be plated in nickel. I am sure Chris, Matt at Razor Emporium or others would be glade to do it. I would kinda like to see one myself. Matt at Razor Emporium had spoken to me about him carrying some ATT razors which he would provide various plating for those wishing to do so for an additional fee.
Stan

Hi Stan,

My favorite razor that I have from you by far, is the S1. Paired with the proline blades, it is spectacular. This morning, I had my 10th shave on a ProLine blade. 3 passes to BBS. I simply couldn't ask for more.

I'm curious about the Windsor. I have the R1 and I'm curious what the real difference is between the R1 and the Windsor of the same efficiency?

Another question I have, if you wouldn't mind. I have been trying to polish the top cap of my S1 after each shave by rubbing it on a towel. I use a little bit of strength and use back and forth and side-to-side motions to try to polish it. Will that, in your opinion, overtime make a difference?

I asked, because when I started with the S1 I didn't like it because there was such a drag on my face. Now, I don't feel it as much. And it's actually quite nice. I'm not sure if that's because I'm simply getting used to it or also that the polishing may be helping. Just curious about your thoughts.

The nicest razors I have ever purchased have been from you. And for that, I'm grateful.

May you, your family, and your team have a very prosperous and healthy 2018.

Hello Razordude,
Thanks for the kind words. It is my pleasure to be able to supply nice shaving gear to others who share my passion for traditional shaving.
As for the Copper Windsor, it is coated with a marine grade clear coat so tarnishing will not be a problem. If you want a nickle plated Windsor you could send one of our stainless Windsors out to be plated in nickel. I am sure Chris, Matt at Razor Emporium or others would be glade to do it. I would kinda like to see one myself. Matt at Razor Emporium had spoken to me about him carrying some ATT razors which he would provide various plating for those wishing to do so for an additional fee.
Stan

Thank you for the reply, Stan.

Shaved off three days scruff this morning with the Windsor and a third use of a Personna lab blue.

El Vado Tahitian Lime soap on top of a great shower, Cremo face wash (excellent and inexpensive), Mickey Lee's peppermint preshave cream (awesome and well made stuff; terrific skin feel too!).

3-pass with a bit o' buff.

Wow!

Look like a kid before I had whiskas to even shave!

That high polish, on top of the nicely-rounded plate edge of the Windsor, really slides well over a prepared beard. Sweet razor with the right blade (Israeli red Personna's are terrific for me).

Look for another order soon.

Then...I'm done for awhile.

Really.

I mean it ;)

Hi Stan,

My favorite razor that I have from you by far, is the S1. Paired with the proline blades, it is spectacular. This morning, I had my 10th shave on a ProLine blade. 3 passes to BBS. I simply couldn't ask for more.

I'm curious about the Windsor. I have the R1 and I'm curious what the real difference is between the R1 and the Windsor of the same efficiency?

Another question I have, if you wouldn't mind. I have been trying to polish the top cap of my S1 after each shave by rubbing it on a towel. I use a little bit of strength and use back and forth and side-to-side motions to try to polish it. Will that, in your opinion, overtime make a difference?

I asked, because when I started with the S1 I didn't like it because there was such a drag on my face. Now, I don't feel it as much. And it's actually quite nice. I'm not sure if that's because I'm simply getting used to it or also that the polishing may be helping. Just curious about your thoughts.

The nicest razors I have ever purchased have been from you. And for that, I'm grateful.

May you, your family, and your team have a very prosperous and healthy 2018.

Hello,
The Windsor head is designed with less blade exposure (not to be confused with blade gap). With the cap creeping down farther on the blade the result is a stiffer blade (less flex while shaving). On my face this creates a different shave experience. It reminds me of using a single edge razor.
I am not sure rubbing the cap with a towel will help much. However a cloth wheel and jewelers rouge will do the trick.

Hey guys. Normally I am a vintage shaver, but have recently been exploring modern razors. I have a R1 Kronos on the way and am very excited for my first AT&T razor.

Hello,
Hope no one minds if I chime in. Since you have a strong back ground with vintage razors I would like to point out that your R1 ATT razor will have an aggression level along the level of a Fat Boy of Slim set on 3 or 4.

Hello,
Hope no one minds if I chime in. Since you have a strong back ground with vintage razors I would like to point out that your R1 ATT razor will have an aggression level along the level of a Fat Boy of Slim set on 3 or 4.

Perfect, that's my usual settings on the Fatboy.

My Kronos R1 arrived today. Glad to be apart of the ATT club! I will paste my first impressions below:

I had my first shave with an Above The Tie razor today, and thought I would offer my first impressions. I have listed my rotation to give you an idea of razors I like:

Modern:
Rockwell 6S, Rex Ambassador.

Vintage: Gillette NEW RFB, Aristocrat Jr 49'(#21 head), Gillette Popular(#15 aristocrat head), Fatboy, 46' Aristocrat, 1934 Aristocrat.

The ATT razor feels very solid and has a nice weight to it. Threads feel wonderful, and I love the handle. The knurling is very grippy, and the length is similar to my 6s, which is one of my favorite handles.

The R1 has been highly recommended over the years, so I decided on getting that first. The R1 plate has a little more blade feel than I usually prefer, but the shave was excellent. I had to go a little slower, but the end result was a 3 pass BBS. It felt slightly agressive, but it shaved with nearly zero irritation.

I tried it with a Yellow 7oclock, wonder if a Nacet or GSB would smooth it out a little.

Overall really happy with it and it will have it's place in the rotation. This was my last purchase before the 2019 sabbatical, and I look forward to mastering the R1 plate.
received_342245319930048.jpeg

Top Bottom