What's new

Above the Tie - Above the Crowd

We're all waiting to hear your impressions when it arrives. In my case once I got my ATT (Jan 2015) I've lost all interest in any other razors. Other than experimenting with the various base plates and open vs solid bar, I've used the ATT exclusively for over two years.

Well, my package arrived a while ago and I've put in about 20 shaves with the R1 and Atlas handle. I alternated between Astra SPs, GSBs, and Voskhods. The Voskhod's were the worst performing blade of the bunch (not horrible, just not as good as the other two), the GSBs were the best, and the Astra's were just slightly below the GSBs. I plan on trying some of my other favourite blades in this head as well.

The Razor is absolutely beautiful. It is a well crafted piece of kit and really blows anything I have used out of the water. Needless to say, it has become my favourite razor. The machining is near flawless but I noticed there is a bit of movement in the head. While this isn't a deal breaker for me, it stops me from saying the craftsmanship is perfect. While there is a bit of play in the head blade alignment has not been an issue with the R1. The shaves I have had with this razor are outstanding and it really is a beauty to look at. Like I said, this is currently my favourite razor and its construction means that I will be enjoying it for years to come.

For the next few weeks I will be attaching the Colossus handle to the R1 and giving the Atlas a breather. I will then be moving on to a new head with the Atlas and then rotating to the Colossus once again. I will do this until I have tried out my M1, H1, S1, and S2, so this may take a while to get through the full rotation. After I have made my way through, I will post a thorough review of all the handles and heads.

And......... after all that is done I have a Timeless .68 scalloped head with dimpled handle that I will get to. Can't wait.

Well, thanks for the interest and have a great day.

Last edited:
Well, my package arrived a while ago and I've put in about 20 shaves with the R1 and Atlas handle. I alternated between Astra SPs, GSBs, and Voskhods. The Voskhod's were the worst performing blade of the bunch (not horrible, just not as good as the other two), the GSBs were the best, and the Astra's were just slightly below the GSBs. I plan on trying some of my other favourite blades in this head as well.

The Razor is absolutely beautiful. It is a well crafted piece of kit and really blows anything I have used out of the water. Needless to say, it has become my favourite razor. The machining is near flawless but I noticed there is a bit of movement in the head. While this isn't a deal breaker for me, it stops me from saying the craftsmanship is perfect. While there is a bit of play in the head blade alignment has not been an issue with the R1. The shaves I have had with this razor are outstanding and it really is a beauty to look at. Like I said, this is currently my favourite razor and it's construction means that I will be enjoying it for years to come.

For the next few weeks I will be attaching the Colossus handle to the R1 and giving the Atlas a breather. I will then be moving on to a new head with the Atlas and then rotating to the Colossus once again. I will do this until I have tried out my M1, H1, S1, and S2, so this may take a while to get through the full rotation. After I have made my way through, I will post a thorough review of all the handles and heads.

And......... after all that is done I have a Timeless .68 scalloped head with dimpled handle that I will get to. Can't wait.

Well, thanks for the interest and have a great day.
I'm not sure I understand your movement issue. Does the cap move around on the plate once everything is tightened down? Are you not able to tighten the handle (stripped threads)? I have never seen this on an ATT and I have held a few. I have the R2 head and I get my best shaves with it. I also use a .95 Timeless, and while that razor is more beautiful to look at, I think I get a little bit closer shave with the R2. The interesting thing is that, while the R is ATT's mid option, I feel that I need to be more mindful of my technique with it than I do with the Timeless' more aggressive head. I can feel the blade a lot more with the ATT. It is nothing uncomfortable. It just speaks to me more, like a quality sports car or bike. One of my other razors is an Ikon B1 Standard. That one is way more aggressive feeling than the ATT or Timeless and does not shave any closer. I also use an Oristo, a mild and comfortable feeling razor that can give almost as close of a shave as the Timeless and ATT.

Back to your movement issue. If you bought your razors new from ATT or a well-known vendor you should contact Stan at ATT. He is a stand-up guy who I'm sure will take care of any defective parts promptly.

I'm not sure I understand your movement issue. Does the cap move around on the plate once everything is tightened down? Are you not able to tighten the handle (stripped threads)? I have never seen this on an ATT and I have held a few. I have the R2 head and I get my best shaves with it. I also use a .95 Timeless, and while that razor is more beautiful to look at, I think I get a little bit closer shave with the R2. The interesting thing is that, while the R is ATT's mid option, I feel that I need to be more mindful of my technique with it than I do with the Timeless' more aggressive head. I can feel the blade a lot more with the ATT. It is nothing uncomfortable. It just speaks to me more, like a quality sports car or bike. One of my other razors is an Ikon B1 Standard. That one is way more aggressive feeling than the ATT or Timeless and does not shave any closer. I also use an Oristo, a mild and comfortable feeling razor that can give almost as close of a shave as the Timeless and ATT.

Back to your movement issue. If you bought your razors new from ATT or a well-known vendor you should contact Stan at ATT. He is a stand-up guy who I'm sure will take care of any defective parts promptly.

I apologize. I should have been more clear. There is slight movement between the cap and the base plate before the handle is attached. Not between the head and the handle.
This might be the norm but not what I was expecting. I was expecting extra tight tolerances that would make movement between the cap and the base plate almost impossible. Not a huge deal but something I couldn't help but notice.

I apologize. I should have been more clear. There is slight movement between the cap and the base plate before the handle is attached. Not between the head and the handle.
This might be the norm but not what I was expecting. I was expecting extra tight tolerances that would make movement between the cap and the base plate almost impossible. Not a huge deal but something I couldn't help but notice.

I have the tiniest bit of movement in my ATT head as you describe, if I were to guess at a quantification, I'd say about 0.1 or 0.2mm. I'm going to guess this is probably pretty normal for these razors...

I have the tiniest bit of movement in my ATT head as you describe, if I were to guess at a quantification, I'd say about 0.1 or 0.2mm. I'm going to guess this is probably pretty normal for these razors...
Interesting. Mine does that, too. I had never noticed before. Out of the four razors I mentioned above (Ikon, Oristo, Timeless, ATT) only the ATT does that. It is really a tiny amount of movement, I can feel it more than see it, and it disappears as soon as the handle is screwed on and meets the base plate. I don't even need it to be tight. Once the handle is on everything is nice, secure, and lined up, including the blade. I never have to adjust the blade. You just need to make sure those little pins are through the holes when you put it together, because they come through the blade at the edge of the holes, where there is very little room between two points, more in the slot. I had a Merkur and a Muhle that had play in the heads, but much worse. You had to make sure the blade was straight as you tightened the handle. The Merkur was the worse of the two, but those were also fine when tight. It seems like the ATT's play is due to the shape of the pins and holes, like the pins seat when they are all the way into the holes, but not before, and everything lines up nice when tight. I would guess that the pins have a slight cone-like shape; a little larger at the base.

Interesting. Mine does that, too. I had never noticed before. Out of the four razors I mentioned above (Ikon, Oristo, Timeless, ATT) only the ATT does that. It is really a tiny amount of movement, I can feel it more than see it, and it disappears as soon as the handle is screwed on and meets the base plate. I don't even need it to be tight. Once the handle is on everything is nice, secure, and lined up, including the blade. I never have to adjust the blade. You just need to make sure those little pins are through the holes when you put it together, because they come through the blade at the edge of the holes, where there is very little room between two points, more in the slot. I had a Merkur and a Muhle that had play in the heads, but much worse. You had to make sure the blade was straight as you tightened the handle. The Merkur was the worse of the two, but those were also fine when tight. It seems like the ATT's play is due to the shape of the pins and holes, like the pins seat when they are all the way into the holes, but not before, and everything lines up nice when tight. I would guess that the pins have a slight cone-like shape; a little larger at the base.

Yeah, there's something about the geometry of the design that trues up with tightening for sure. I actually really like the head design of the ATT and the way the cap mates up with the base plate and secures the blade. Probably my favorite design of a modern three piece. Other things about ATT I'm less of a fan, but head design of the razor is fantastic IMO.

Last edited:

I guess it's a normal thing with these razors. Like I said, it s not a deal breaker as there aren't any alignment issues. Just something I didn't expect.

Congrats on the ATT and glad to hear you're enjoying it. I've used my ATT daily for 2.5 yrs now and haven't even considered anything else. I just alternate between the H1 and H2 heads and the Atlas or Kronos handles periodically.

Stan, slow down or your head going to explode! We want you to be around for a long time.

LOL. Here lately there were a few times i thought my head was about to explode. Anyway, another update. Our Windsor SS razors are scheduled to arrive on Monday via UPS around 3pm EST. We will get to work to push those out ASAP. the Copper Windsor will follow in a few days. Exciting times around here at ATT central.

Hello Stan! I recently picked up the ATT-S1. Loving this razor so much. The Atlas handle is also amazingly grippy and heavy. Thanks for the awesome work!
Another Satisfied customer!

Well, I put the S1 on the Colossus and loaded a GSB. Lathered up some Tallow + Steel Maya and had the best shave of my life, no joke. Smooth, comfortable, and almost effortless. This razor cut through my hair like butter. If I didn't hear the hair being mowed I wouldn't have believed I was even cutting it. Truly a great experience. You hit this one out of the park Stan.

Kudos to Stan!
I have tried to use an M2, R1, R2, and H1 to no avail. I was tearing my face up.
Advice on the forums was all over the map. Some say steep. Some say shallow.
Get the proper angle. Use a certain blade. Use any blade.
Last night I emailed Stan about my frustrations. I figured that when all else fails, ask the man who designed it.
He answered very quickly. He asked if I was holding it with three fingers and thought I was applying too much pressure. I have posted before about my concerns with the definition of pressure. Obviously I was using too much.
Yes, proper grip has been addressed in the forums but like everything else, there were many variations.
I watched hours of videos and read many WIKI entries about grip.
Today I used the R1 with an Astra blade. I used a "three finger grip" throughout the shave. This time I really used very little pressure.
The result was one of the best shaves I have ever had!! Smooth and irritation free.
I have now placed an order for the SS Windsor. If Stan says it is their smoothest shaver that is good enough for me.
I look forward to the arrival of the Windsor. Of course I am also looking forward to tomorrow's shave with the R1.
Thanks Stan!

Stan's razors are among the best. I've used the M2, R2, H2, S2 and SE2. (Notice the open comb preference?) The H2 and SE2 are among my two favorite razors, and I've probably got 60-70.

Stan's razors are among the best. I've used the M2, R2, H2, S2 and SE2. (Notice the open comb preference?) The H2 and SE2 are among my two favorite razors, and I've probably got 60-70.
The open comb hint wasn't hard to miss. Once I get the R1 and the new Windsor down I at least know who to come to for advice. I have the M2, R2, H2 and S2 to play with in the future.

The open comb hint wasn't hard to miss. Once I get the R1 and the new Windsor down I at least know who to come to for advice. I have the M2, R2, H2 and S2 to play with in the future.

I suspect I would like the SB ATTs as well. I'm just an OC guy. Yes, to my face, a good shave is more about pressure than angle, although I seem to get better shaves with a shallow angle, on balance. Pressure is my issue. When I go from a very forgiving razor (e.g., Timeless .95 OC or Rockwell 6S with the #6 plate) to a challenging razor (e.g., Blackbird OC or Ikon Tech), I have to re-train myself. Which might take a couple of shaves and a bit of blood.

Wow I haven't been on the forum much lately and here's talk of a new model?? The Windsor is beautiful - wow! I really like that high polish.

Great to see more amazing products rolling off the ATT production line Stan!

Top Bottom