What's new

First album you ever bought?

It wasn't an album but a 78 rpm record which was the same size as an album, but with one song on each side.
It was Jim Dandy by Laverne Baker in I believe it was 1958.

It wasn't an album but a 78 rpm record which was the same size as an album, but with one song on each side.
It was Jim Dandy by Laverne Baker in I believe it was 1958.
My dad was the record buyer for his frat in college and we had a lot of 78 albums when I was a kid (lots of Stan Kenton, show tunes, etc). They were like a true album with a cover and a lot of pages inside for all the disks.

Not sure if it was my first first, but the first one I recall was Three Dog Night Naturally (1970). Joy to the World, Liar, and One Man Band were the singles from that album. Also probably the biggest hits from it.

I vaguely recall some compilation album with some Beatles tracks on it prior to that.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
4BE8EA17-98DE-4D5C-B8D6-CAE9920F6798.jpeg
Not sure if it was my first first, but the first one I recall was Three Dog Night Naturally (1970). Joy to the World, Liar, and One Man Band were the singles from that album. Also probably the biggest hits from it.

I vaguely recall some compilation album with some Beatles tracks on it prior to that.

My best guess is Def Leppard Pyromania.
I know the first records (45s) I bought: Devil Went Down to Georgia, Heart of Glass, and A Message to Khomeini. I got one of those kinda hard cardboard, suitcase-looking record players for my birthday in '79, and I picked those three records.

I’d be hard pressed to remember what the first album I bought was - but I still have this one. I gave it a good cleaning and threw it on the Turntable. Doesn’t sound bad considering I got it around 1978, I was 13 at the time, LOL - it’s aged a lot better than I have, LOL. It’s amazing - old vinyl sounds so much better than digital to me..

Steve

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
wax cylinders?
Glad to see a 78 here!
Beatles Revolver - I recall for a number of reasons, most important is I did not like the album at the time and thought I could have spent the money on a better album.
The record player was a reddish-brown aluminum hinged top with an awful needle. Probably ruined every album I played on it.
Having said all this I find the journey in music similar to that of shaving. Great thread.

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida (Iron Butterfly)
I had that one. There was a time in the '70s that you couldn't give it away. Everybody had a copy.

My first was The Four Seasons Second Vault of Golden Hits. I was into them for a while in my early teens. Eventually i discovered "progressive" music and the first of those was The Doors, Strange Days or whatever their second album was called.

Had many 45’s, stories and such mostly. My favorite 45 was chuck berry’s my ding a ling. I took it to school to play for show and tell in the first grade, probably not acceptable now a days. My first album, I purchased was KISS Destroyer, I bought it when I was in 4th grade, it was new, but the album came out earlier I’m sure. I still play albums, have vinyl Sunday with my daughters. They love everything from the Beatles to zeppelin.

Otis Blue.

My father was a doctor who basically just played and listened to Bach. When I brought it home he said "that guy is screaming - he must be psychotic. You'd better take it back to the shop". I had a hard time explaining to the store owner that I need to swap it for something else on the grounds that the artist was psychotic......

You may well wonder what kind of childhood I had.

Otis Blue.

My father was a doctor who basically just played and listened to Bach. When I brought it home he said "that guy is screaming - he must be psychotic. You'd better take it back to the shop". I had a hard time explaining to the store owner that I need to swap it for something else on the grounds that the artist was psychotic......

You may well wonder what kind of childhood I had.

A similar one to mine by the sound of it. My first album was Kiss...Love Gun,
you can imagine how that went.

The King's first LP...I still have it.. This was my first purchase, my first owned LP was an 88 cents Ink Spots album my Aunt bought for me in downtown Hollywood in 1957 , I still h
originalcover.jpg
ave it as well..

Bought three together that first time. I was no older than 13.
First Santana album (called Santana),
Hot Rats by Frank Zappa, and
Abbey Road (side two still the best album side ever)​

Didn’t buy 45s until many years later, when I bought Devo’s first 45 from Stiff Records in yellow vinyl, and Little Nell’s Stilettos and Lipstick in red vinyl (B side was Fire).

Wow, Hot Rats, I'm impressed. My first record was the LP School's Out* by Alice Cooper (the group, that is) at the age of ten in 1973. This was followed shortly thereafter by my attempt to buy Frank Zappa's Hot Rats. But my father wouldn't let me as one of the titles was "Willie the Pimp." Had to wait for another six years and my first after-school job for that one. ;-)

*Wish I could say I still had the panties. But I still do love that early Alice Cooper stuff.

Top Bottom