What's new

Synthetic vs. Boar vs. Badger?

Hey all,

From what I’ve seen on these fora, different people have different preferences in brushes. For example, I had thought badger would be unequivocally preferred for its softness, but I’ve seen many here (and elsewhere) who seem to prefer boar precisely because of its stiffness.

So, what are the reasons for using one over the other? Is it mostly price, or does each have objectively positive and negative qualities? Or is it all just personal preference?

Why do you prefer one over the other?

Thanks,

Greg

Only synthetics for me. Reasons? They lather well, they're cheap and have lots of colourful handle choices, you don't have to soak them, and you have a clear conscience for respecting wildlife. Not a lot more to say from my end.

I've been wondering about this myself. I have many expensive badger hair brushes by Simpsons. Recently I bought some Semogue boar bristle brushes and have been using them exclusively for about two weeks. Despite what I've always heard about the necessity of a break in period, these boar brushes lather fantastically. I'd say they probably pickup and retain more soap than badger hair. Also, they don't seem scritchy or whatever on my face, I just feel they work the lather into my beard very well. So now I've ordered some Yaqi synthetic brushes to experience what many shavers seem to prefer. I have been wanting one for travel, so I've ordered three different synthetic brushes so try out. It might seem really extravagant to have recently purchased three boars, and now three badgers but when you consider the price of a Simpsons Chubby they are relatively inexpensive. But so far I really like the boar brushes!

Which is better, beef, lamb, pork, chicken? Well, all taste great if prepared well.

Brushes, regardless of material, if well constructed, work fine. Boar, once broken in, can be soft with some scrub. They are a treat. I like Semogue. Badger, and silvertip in particular, can be delightful. Some prefer pure or best, though. Badger holds heat nicely. Synthetic brushes have become much better of late. The Muhle and Edwin Jagger STF ones are the best, IMO. Yaqi is a sweet bargain option. Synthetics are great for travel. And some like the horse hair brushes.

You need one of each, according to the B & B code. Maybe more.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I used a boar brush at home as my only brush, and when that expired I automatically got another boar. They work well with hard soaps (which is what I predominantly use) and with my face. If it works, I see no reason to change it. I'm no collector or enthusiast when it comes to brushes.

For travel, I use a synthetic, as it dries very quickly. Never tried badger or horse. One in the bathroom, and one in the washbag. That'll do for me. I do have a third brush (boar) which I got in a gift set, but that sits in a drawer as emergency back up in case one of the others conks out on me.

Which is better, beef, lamb, pork, chicken? Well, all taste great if prepared well.

Brushes, regardless of material, if well constructed, work fine. Boar, once broken in, can be soft with some scrub. They are a treat. I like Semogue. Badger, and silvertip in particular, can be delightful. Some prefer pure or best, though. Badger holds heat nicely. Synthetic brushes have become much better of late. The Muhle and Edwin Jagger STF ones are the best, IMO. Yaqi is a sweet bargain option. Synthetics are great for travel. And some like the horse hair brushes.

I like that last line. Man after my own heart. Thanks for the recommendations.

You left out another alternative, the horse hair brush. I have a couple of Vie Long brushes in rotation with boar, badger, and synthetic brushes. I have a Omega professional boar which is a inexpensive brush that has soft tips once broken-in. It also has great backbone and lathers well. I use it primarily with hard soaps. I have a couple of Semogue boar brushes, but they just have not worked well for me. I am not knocking Semogue as a brand as I have a Semogue Owners Club two-band badger that is a great brush.

Agreed.

I’ve got a four badgers (of different grades), two boars (different grades), a mixed badger&boar, a horse, and three synthetics. They all behave differently and all get the job done. I prefer natural hairs for feel, lathering, application, and look. Won’t buy another synthetic. Just my preference.

You should get yourself one of each and then get more of the kind you like. When you run out of space to store them, get more space.

Ha. I seem to have found my razor, a Schone, and for the moment at least a blade, Polsilver. Four soaps are in the rotation: Haslinger, MWF, Cade, Harris.

Brushes? I am as fickle as a débutante, as faithful as a sailor on shore leave.

Mostly boar and horse hair brushes for me. Once broken in the boar are nice and soft, yet still have backbone.

If in a hurry I use a badger, but find they tend to hold on to the lather too much.

Synthetic only for travel, as they dry quicker.

I like the boar I have been using quite a bit. I recently was given a badger, which I have only tried once, but really like it too. My wife has a plissoft synthetic, since she shaves her legs in the shower. I tried it before it was passed to her and it wasn't bad, but I prefer a quality badger or boar. Only time will tell, as the badger needs to break in before a final judgment, but I won't be surprised if I like it the best.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

boars 4 life. :c2:

After I switched from synthetic to boars, I've never looked back. :c5:

Right now, I've acquired 5 omega boars. Love them all. :kyle1:

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Only synthetics for me. Reasons? They lather well, they're cheap and have lots of colourful handle choices, you don't have to soak them, and you have a clear conscience for respecting wildlife. Not a lot more to say from my end.
+1. Well said.

Used boars for 18 months, tried badger, now it is definitely synthetic from here on out, for all the reasons mentioned. Better performance, lower cost, great longevity.

I’d think badger lovers would be more inclined toward synthetic types. Similar feel of hair. Boar is different. I found and posted just why bristles are a good choice for a shave brush. It made a believer out of me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom