What's new

Do Voskhod blades get any better?

I just acquired a '62 Gillette Slim Adjustable yesterday and used it this morning with a Voskhod blade. I got one of my best ever shaves with it. My neck area that I usually have trouble getting BBS was the area I was most impressed with. 3 passes with no touchups, and it was as good as it gets! YMMV

Problem is they're not as sharp as most blades, so on an aggressive razor, which needs to cut cleanly or feels rough/harsh, I've found they're not particularly well suited, at least for my stiff gray growth.

If you have a light, soft, and easy to cut growth, they may be the best thing since sliced bread, but those with a stiff beard, or coarse graying beard, forget it.

They seem very Derby like; you either like them or don't. I also find them to be (razor specific) one of the smoothest blades I use (ten). I feel the same way about the Derby even though I don't use them on a regular basis.

I've been using one in my Karve w/D-plate for the last 4 days. I have had no issues. I get somewhere between a DFS and BBS each time with no nicks, weepers or irritation.

I will try again at some point -- I have one Voskhod left. Hope it is a good one! Maybe it will be better paired with a closed comb or a more aggressive razor?
I use them often in my Parker Variant at setting 4 and final pass at 5.
They are not sharp but very comfortable in a way that it is only blade where I can 'feel' the PTFE coating works. Think of a Squeegee with very sharp edge that can shave but almost impossible to nick your face.
I have normal skin with medium coarse whiskers and two shaves is tops for me.

Today I'm on day 5.
I still had a close comfortable shave using the same razor/soap/aftershave etc...

What I'm noticing now is that as my stubble is growing in, I'm getting rather itchy (especially under my chin area). I don't typically get that with a razor.

I used to get it all the time when I was using my electric.

Day 6
Okay things are starting to go down hill. I discovered that the blade is getting a bit tuggy and not doing the job it's supposed to. I had to increase my pass count to WTG(2) XTG (2) and ATG (1) and only really got the DFS and just barely at that.

My Proraso Green AS was especially burny too, so I think that is about it for that blade.

FYI I was not using any prep except a hot shower and some goat's milk and lanolin soap.
I was using B&M Reserve Cool soap each day too.
I wanted to make sure I was doing the exact same thing with the exact same gear daily to really accurately test the longevity of the blade.

I don't know if I'd have gained or lost any if I had chosen another soap and razor combo.

I hope what I've done will be of some help to someone. I know that I learned a lot from it.

Voskhod is a "three-and out" blade for me, the third shave being average. The first two are sometimes very good but the blades are variable for me. If I'm in a hurry and can't afford blood then a fresh Voskhod is a good choice.

No, not really..... Too bad I have about 99 of them left. I think I'll hang on to them until my son starts shaving in 15 years..... I'll let him shave with them once, then take them away and say, "just kidding, I wouldn't even scrape gum off the floor with these!" YMMV, but they are not good....

I used them and got a great shave so depending on the razor you use with them your mileage may vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think the razor is the whole story.
It also has a lot to do with shaving style
And technic, think about it , there are only
Two outcomes with a Fether, a close
Shave or a sliced up face , theoretically
Anyone can get a great result with a
Fether but with Voskhods only the most
Solid & refined skills will deliver consistent
Satisfaction

I have officially given up on these blades, there are so many other better choices out there. Will stick to Kai, Silver Blues and Polsilvers for now.

No, not really..... Too bad I have about 99 of them left.

At least mine were only part of a sampler.

Reference to few posts above about less aggressive blades; I have Voshkhod and they seem to work best if the razor head is pretty rigid. I use them in parker variant fine but whenever I try them in an open comb Pearl razor, the blade chatter simply render them just OK DFS and that's not a great shave even after three passes.

Why would we think that a Russian product would be of consistent higher quality than a product made in Germany or here (or India)? Russia has problems more serious than concentrating on producing a high quality razor blade.

Why would we think that a Russian product would be of consistent higher quality than a product made in Germany or here (or India)? Russia has problems more serious than concentrating on producing a high quality razor blade.
Some Russian blades are excellent - Gillette Platinum, Gillette Silver blue, for example. Some German blades are dreadful - Croma Diamant is a case in point.
This is why I prefer to judge blades by brand and specific product rather than by country.

I've not found a German blade that is worth a dam. Germany is resting on its laurels.
MM879

Top Bottom