What's new

Do Voskhod blades get any better?

The German Wilkinson Sword blades are the focus of my ire. I really wanted to like the Wilks, but the performance wasn't there. I would rate them slightly better than Derby Extra. Sad, very sad.
MM879

yea, I guess so, couldn't be the blade...
MM879
It could be, but it works well for some people (me included). So that would mean that it isn't "the blade" but some other variable, such as a different face. If a blade doesn't work for me, then I make a note not to buy it again. I don't expect everyone else to do that - why would they if it worked for them?

Short version: YMMV. :001_smile

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Voskhod works pretty well for me, but didnt make my top 5.

The first shave was good, the second slightly harsh. The third shave harsher again but on the 4th shave they smooth right out for me and stayed like that for as long as I used one, 8 shaves I think.

I'm starting to warm up to these. It's the first shave that doesn't work for me, as the coating wears off it gets better. Still prefer my GSBs.

Thats exactly it. Voskhod are pretty popular in Russia and I saw a thread quite a while back where Russian users were talking about slicing a piece of paper with a fresh blade to remove that brittle top coating layer. Once they did that, they had no issues and agreed they were both sharp and smooth.

GSB are the complete opposite for me. The first shave is like shaving with broken glass, the second only marginally better, with the 3rd better again. They might become the worlds smoothest blade by shave 4 but I'll never know. Its the same thing, the top coating on them doesnt agree with my hair type and flakes off. As it wears, they become smoother.

The first shave was good, the second slightly harsh. The third shave harsher again but on the 4th shave they smooth right out for me and stayed like that for as long as I used one, 8 shaves I think.

Thats exactly it. Voskhod are pretty popular in Russia and I saw a thread quite a while back where Russian users were talking about slicing a piece of paper with a fresh blade to remove that brittle top coating layer. Once they did that, they had no issues and agreed they were both sharp and smooth.

GSB are the complete opposite for me. The first shave is like shaving with broken glass, the second only marginally better, with the 3rd better again. They might become the worlds smoothest blade by shave 4 but I'll never know. Its the same thing, the top coating on them doesnt agree with my hair type and flakes off. As it wears, they become smoother.

GSBs on the first shave are unmatched for me. Extremely smooth. I knew from the first pass of the first shave, this was worthy of a 100 pack. Which is weird since they have the same coating as the Voskhods.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
GSBs on the first shave are unmatched for me. Extremely smooth. I knew from the first pass of the first shave, this was worthy of a 100 pack. Which is weird since they have the same coating as the Voskhods.

I have no idea the coatings applied or order of application, but they're distinctly different blades to me.

I know how you feel when you find 'your' blade. I felt the same after my first shave with a Polsilver. I bought 200 before my razor was dry.

I have no idea the coatings applied or order of application, but they're distinctly different blades to me.

I know how you feel when you find 'your' blade. I felt the same after my first shave with a Polsilver. I bought 200 before my razor was dry.

Sounds like we have the same face. GSB is like shaving with glass shards for me. [emoji1744]‍[emoji3603] Voskhod was better. Polsilver excellent! Have you tried the original ones from Poland? I find they are even better!

I'm using a Voskhod blade for the first time out of my sample pack. The first shave was not great to say the least with multiple nicks and irritation on the lower neck. Frankly it was bad enough I almost didn't continue with it. The second shave was actually OK with one small nick. I just finished up with the third shave on this blade and it was a very nice shave with no nicks or irritation and BBS on cheeks and even neck. I'll continue with this blade to see how long at last. Would I buy a 100 pack?...Probably not knowing that I'll tear my face up on the first shave.

+1

Silver Blues are completely different blades to Voskhods for this face. Had an incredible shave with one this morning (fresh from the wrapper) with my Tatara Masamune SB. So smooth I had to check the angle was right. Even better than a Polsilver.

The German Wilkinson Sword blades are the focus of my ire. I really wanted to like the Wilks, but the performance wasn't there. I would rate them slightly better than Derby Extra. Sad, very sad.
MM879

This shows that YMMV...
But if you look at this, it shows that the Wilkies sharpen up after the first use, and get almost exactly sharp as a feather. That is my experience too, they get really sharp and stay sharp for a handful of shaves.

My own experience was like yours, I really hated them and gifted them away except four packs. A year later my technique had greatly improved and I gave them another shot. Now they are one of my favorites, top notch blade imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that Voskhods aren't as good as Gillette Silver Blues or Polsilver Super Iridiums. According to my shave log, I only got 21 shaves from my last Voskhod.

Tried a Voskhod this morning in my Progress. A short shower and some conditioner as prep, and Arko shave stick.

It tugged somewhat and for a 3 pass shave...I've had better. Two nicks. The alum block application was very tingly. Several hours later and I still "feel" the shave. I am curious to see if the second shave on the blade is smoother.

I ended up getting 8 shaves off the one blade which for me isn't bad. I'm typically in the 4-5 range. I probably could have got another 2 shaves easily if not more. Of the seven brands I've tried so far from the sample pack the Voskhods lasted the longest.

I've had good luck with the Voskhod blades. Ran through a hundred in the past year with ease. I have zero issue in using a blade for four or so shaves. They're in my top five, but probably number four or five on that list.

It is funny, but i have about the same opinion about both blades you describe! Only even a better one for Voskhod. On my face, Voskhod just glides like a Formula 1 car and never nicking. I usually throw a blade after 3 shaves, but with the last Voskhod, i was tempted to go to 4th, because it was so smooth.

The GSB, is a much sharper blade, which nicked me since shave 1. If someone has a very dense and tough beard, where other blades start having problems, GSB is the blade to go. However, for my face, it was like trying to kill a fly, using a cannon. Sure, it works and it is a quality blade, but, i don't need so much sharpness to do the job. I prefer a less sharp blade, with lower probability of cutting my face. This is why from the Gillettes, i prefer the 7 o' clock Green, since, i believe that it is the least sharp Gillette and very smooth. But i only bought a tuck of it, because price wise, it's not worth it, compared to some many much cheaper blades.

Top Bottom