What's new

Do Voskhod blades get any better?

At the beginning I tried them in a Futur and Slant and they were OK maybe used 2-3 blades and 2-3 shaves....they felt smooth and sharp. I ordered 200, and they were delayed and I had to leave so got 100.... MAN do I regret this. The 100 I have sampled 5 different blades -- all horrible....rough and NOT sharp. So when I came back and got the other 200 i have opened and tried one blade of each of them....in the same Merkur 39 and both are worthless....
So I now have apron 300 useless blades......maybe I can use them in a shavette for minimal work around facial hair.
Why not sell them to someone who’ll like em. Or Piff them if it’s easier.

Why not sell them to someone who’ll like em. Or Piff them if it’s easier.
Well--- I do not want to deal with the headache of shipping and then God forbid dealing with someone unhappy....not worth the headache.... If I had someone in my circle that would use them....I would have given them....

Voskhod didnt rate well with me as I go through my sampler pack...left my face somewhat feeling scraped. It didn't make my list.

Voskhod is my go-to blade. They work best for me in more aggressive razors like the Maggard V3A, much more efficient than the V3. I have considered trying an open comb for a little more oomph but my V3A puts the blade dead-center no matter how sloppy I load it, the V3 was horrible in this regard. I ain’t fixing what’s not broken.

My face cannot handle the sharper blades like Rapira SS, Personna Blue, and anything Gillette. I make the most subtle of wrong moves with those, some worse than others, and there’s irritation and weepers. With the Voskhod I experience minor tugging in my chin area where the hairs are toughest but I rarely get any irritation and never cuts, I do not tolerate any blood or weepers, I’m here for a DFS, not a sport. Also, the Voskhod allows me to dig-in in the tough areas without cutting or irritating, none of the other blades give me this flexibility.

There are occasional outliers that veer into the less-sharp area of the distribution but are still acceptable. I’ll occasionally get a dangerously sharp one but that is very rare.

Do they get better? For me they take a couple of strokes and shave the same way for 3 shaves, which is when I toss it.

Last edited:
The problem with Voskhod is that the factory has poor QC. You may get one batch that shaves superb and the next like a wood rasp.

The problem with Voskhod is that the factory has poor QC. You may get one batch that shaves superb and the next like a wood rasp.
This.
The bunch of Voskhods I had exhibited a different grind on each edge under a 16x loupe. The blades were consistently bad throughout multiple tucks. Obviously poor quality control when an unacceptable product run was allowed to be sent out into the market. I threw away the whole bunch. I have lots of preferred blades that don't involve luck in getting a good batch.

I have a tuck of them, and seeing this thread prompted me to try one today in my Mamba.
Shave was so smooth, I wondered if there was a blade in the razor. I'll use this for a few more days, maybe in a different razor, but I have my main couple of brands that I'll use. Don't see me buying a hundred of them anytime soon.

Last Saturday I thought to myself, "What the heck." And loaded a new Voskhod into my GC .84 for a post-shower shave.

Mind you, this was after a hot shower and Shave Secret as a pre-shave, followed by Proraso Green.

I shaved my right cheek...then thought, "Why are you putting yourself through this ordeal?" Because you are frugal? Chintzy, even? I removed the Voskhod, put in a Nacet, and proceeded to have a better shave.

I feel like Voskhods are just .00001 of an inch of blade angle from being great. Currently, they are not great.

I will try again at some point -- I have one Voskhod left. Hope it is a good one! Maybe it will be better paired with a closed comb or a more aggressive razor?

I think this might be the case. I’ve only used one but it was in my Merkur Futur on some pretty aggressive settings and I got 3 silky smooth shaves. The fourth really dropped off but I’m going to definitely get some more.

I got some out of deep storage and chucked one up in my favorite pre war Tech for last nights shave. Some vintage Williams, Simpsons Pure Badger, and Aqua Velva.... Cadillac shave.
I'll give it a few more shaves to see how it goes.

GSBs on the first shave are unmatched for me. Extremely smooth. I knew from the first pass of the first shave, this was worthy of a 100 pack. Which is weird since they have the same coating as the Voskhods.
I consider Voskhod's sort of the "value menu" version of the GSB. They aren't super sharp but if they are sharp enough to meet your needs, they provide a very smooth shaving experience.

They are priced 1/3 less than the GSB. That does make them one of the smoothest blades for under $10. However, since they are not as sharp as the GSB's and only last half as long, they are not really that great of an overall value, everything considered.

I like them as is. Decent blade and sharpness with a good lather they work great. Only blades I don't like are derby and wilkins sword well there are a couple other cheapies that I've received with orders but don't remember their name

I bought some a few months ago and, like pretty much every razor blade I've tried, they work great for a few shaves (which is all I expect from any blade - 3 to 5 shaves and I'm satisfied). I've learned to pay no attention to most reviews of any products here (or any forum for that matter). Try stuff for yourself and see if you like it whether shaving products, guitars, guns, etc.

I like them as is. Decent blade and sharpness with a good lather they work great. Only blades I don't like are derby and wilkins sword well there are a couple other cheapies that I've received with orders but don't remember their name
I also do not Like Dorco blades any of them

I’ve only used one blade so far. The blade I used must have been one of the good ones, it performed well for 3 shaves particularly the first 2. Then completely died on the start of the 4th, had to switch it out. Never saw a blade decrease in sharpness so much and so sudden.

Have heard they make a lot of dud blades so I wouldn’t risk buying them in bulk.

I’ve only used one blade so far. The blade I used must have been one of the good ones, it performed well for 3 shaves particularly the first 2. Then completely died on the start of the 4th, had to switch it out. Never saw a blade decrease in sharpness so much and so sudden.

Have heard they make a lot of dud blades so I wouldn’t risk buying them in bulk.
I think it's more internet gossip than fact. They run $8.85 shipped per hundred on Amazon. Not much of a risk. I have not run into a "dud" blade yet. I expect 3-5 shaves from a blade and toss it. If you got three shaves for 8.5 cents, that's not really too bad, is it?

Top Bottom