What's new

Best Finishing Stone and Reliable Source: advice for newbie

Thanks Paul. Great information.

The more I read, the more interested I am in natural stones. The patience, the trial and error, learning the idiosyncrasies of the stone, adjusting honing techniques to become more efficient with a specific target in mind -- sharpness, comfort. The many variables make this interesting and challenging.

Thanks Paul. Great information.

The more I read, the more interested I am in natural stones. The patience, the trial and error, learning the idiosyncrasies of the stone, adjusting honing techniques to become more efficient with a specific target in mind -- sharpness, comfort. The many variables make this interesting and challenging.
Interesting and challenging? For sure. But most hard fine stones can deliver infinitely variable edges with the difference being finishing techniques. Try 10 stones the same way? Get 10 different edges. Try one stone 10 different ways? Get 10 different edges. I've owned 40 plus jnats. And now I use 2 of them.

I'm looking forward to finding a couple of stoned that work for me. I have a lot to learn!

I purchased and received a used Dan's Black Arkansas from a member and a stone off eBay that seller represented as an "Antique Large Yellow Gray Fine Thuringian Water Razor Hone." I have no idea if that's what it is.

I have a Japanese straight razor, a Parker, that was supposed to be shave ready when I bought it, but was a little dull, and a very old French straight razor, an Ad Arbenz, that was completely dull, so I went to work on both razors with the two stones, simply honing with water.

The Ad Arbenz still needs a little work, not quite there yet. But the Parker was great. What I appreciated most is that the blade seemed more comfortable, smoother, not so toothy. But I'll bet I did at least two hundred laps on the Arkansas before I shaved, followed by 100 laps on a strop.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I purchased and received a used Dan's Black Arkansas from a member and a stone off eBay that seller represented as an "Antique Large Yellow Gray Fine Thuringian Water Razor Hone." I have no idea if that's what it is.

I have a Japanese straight razor, a Parker, that was supposed to be shave ready when I bought it, but was a little dull, and a very old French straight razor, an Ad Arbenz, that was completely dull, so I went to work on both razors with the two stones, simply honing with water.

The Ad Arbenz still needs a little work, not quite there yet. But the Parker was great. What I appreciated most is that the blade seemed more comfortable, smoother, not so toothy. But I'll bet I did at least two hundred laps on the Arkansas before I shaved, followed by 100 laps on a strop.

Extra hard arkies do require a lot of laps, especially if they are burnished nice and shiny. They are SLOOOOOOOWWWWW cutters.

Definitely, but they produce edges that are among the best from natural stones when they are done just so.

Moots, I truly hope you didn't get burned on that stone you linked. Dan's stones are beyond reproach, but that seller you linked to is very shady if you ask me. That stone looks pretty clearly to have been cut on a modern tile saw, and he's claiming it's quite old. As far as I'm aware, there are no modern cut Thuringian stones besides those Mueller or whatever - and by reputation those are sub-par for razor use.

You did a good buy on that arkansas, I've been trying to score one for ages! While I love mine, if would like more width for a more stable movement with the razor.

Curiously mine got "faster" once it got real polished, like floated glass. At the same time I don't expect swarf forming. But somehow, even my hamm or sushi knifes edge improves greatly from some finishing laps on a trans.

Paul,
I am already loving that Arkansas. And I don't know why, but I am finding more satisfaction working with a natural stone than my synthetics.

Rob

ekretz,
Thank you for your observations. When something is too good to be true, it's generally not. I'm old enough to know better, but the cost of return postage on the "Thuringian" is a small price to pay for another lesson.

eKretz, I may have gotten burned on that stone, but there is a 30 day return policy. If you don't mind, I will put the link here with pictures. Maybe you and others will know by looking at the pictures. And if it isn't right, I will send the stone back. Thank you.

(You do have to scroll down after you open the link.)

Antique Large Dark Gray Fine Thuringian Water Razor Hone Sharpening Stone - 8" | eBay

Already saw the link when you posted it earlier. You'll need to flatten the stone and try it out to get a real feel for whether it's decent or not. Hopefully that won't negate your return if it should end up being necessary. I would be quite surprised if that actually ends up being a Thuri, but I hope I'm wrong.

You are losing me here fellows. What is a PHIG?

Sometimes you just have to shake your head and laugh at yourself. That's what I'm doing now.

I think you fellows have nailed it. Looks just like it. If I had to guess, the stone I received is about 8,000 grit.

sad reality about naturals is that most of the good stock has been mined and switched hands several times over decades or centuries in some cases... there is rarely a "best and safe" place to buy a guaranteed finisher.
The only way i know how to buy stones that I know will be good is from trusted members of the shaving forums. other than that... it's a crapshoot in my experience.
Good luck!!!

Top Bottom