What's new

Soap Sample Passaround Box

So, you know when you went to look at the brand new 4kUltra whatever TV but it looked no different then your normal HDTV?? That is about how it is getting for me with these top tier soaps. They all seems great, but they don't seem "better" then the top tier soaps of about a year back (Sudsy Soapery, Soap Commander, etc, etc)...

Basically, my reviews would all read "these are really good and shave me real nice". I am going to enjoy the box, and if anything stands out I will let you all know, but short of that I will pass it on after trying at least one of each brand.

Thanks for allowing me the time to try them all.

So, you know when you went to look at the brand new 4kUltra whatever TV but it looked no different then your normal HDTV?? That is about how it is getting for me with these top tier soaps. They all seems great, but they don't seem "better" then the top tier soaps of about a year back (Sudsy Soapery, Soap Commander, etc, etc)...

Basically, my reviews would all read "these are really good and shave me real nice". I am going to enjoy the box, and if anything stands out I will let you all know, but short of that I will pass it on after trying at least one of each brand.

Thanks for allowing me the time to try them all.

I'd put Sudsy Soapery in my top tier but not so much Soap Commander. For me where some of the the newer tier one higher end soaps really shine is with repeated use and the effect that they have on your skin. Obviously you can't do this with the passaround but to test for yourself maybe pick up a tub of Tallow & Steel, use it for two weeks straight, followed by the Tallow & Steel splash or an aftershave balm of your choice, and then report back on how your face feels. I suspect that after doing this you'd see a definite change for the better.

@dfoulk Sorry I haven't been following along as detailed as I should have been. And I am not even sure what is in the boxes anymore. But have you tried Declaration Grooming's Icarus Base soaps? I have a the Vide Poche that was a collaboration between them and Chatillon Lux. It is seriously my favorite soap to date. It is tops! I know the scent might not be for everyone...but that base is fantastic.

@dfoulk Sorry I haven't been following along as detailed as I should have been. And I am not even sure what is in the boxes anymore. But have you tried Declaration Grooming's Icarus Base soaps? I have a the Vide Poche that was a collaboration between them and Chatillon Lux. It is seriously my favorite soap to date. It is tops! I know the scent might not be for everyone...but that base is fantastic.

I tried a base from them that was new a while back. It was released in a sandlewood scent. I suspect it's the Icarus base when it first came out.

First review:

Long Rifle Bay Rhum

So I love Bay Rum soaps, and this one struck me with the odd naming. I have mentioned before I am struggling with this box because all of the soap I have lathered or shaved with so far is very good. It makes it harder to review. This soap is in that mix. I enjoyed the shave with it, very slick, touch up without any dryness, good cushion, and I didn't use anything after the shave. Overall a solid tier 1 soap. If I had any complaints it would be the scent on all the long riffle soap that I smelled was light for my nose. I like my soaps to be stronger in that way, and while this was pleasant, and a good mix (I have had bay rums where they overdo one ingredient, this is NOT the case here), it was just not very strong.

Overall a solid Tier 1 soap, but I would put it low in my tier due to the scent not blowing me away.

Today's shave was: Wholly Kaw Fougere Bouquet

I picked it because it had the most pleasent scent of the options in the Whole Kaw bag in my opinion. I have been asked to not make such a big deal about the scent and discuss more the shave performance so I will do that. I have to say, with all the hype I expected this soap to be top top amazing. I found it to be good, for sure top tier, but I feel like I have used better soaps. It took me a while to get it to lather, I went with David's approach of almost no water and got a nice, almost slime-like consistency. It was a smooth shave, with a good slickness. My issue was touch ups seemed a bit rough, and I needed after shave as I had a slight burn from the shave, which I do not expect when using a top tier soap. Don't get me wrong, it performed well, I just would not go out of my way to get Donkey Milk soap. Maybe it just doesn't jive with my skin.

Today's shave was: Wholly Kaw Fougere Bouquet

I picked it because it had the most pleasent scent of the options in the Whole Kaw bag in my opinion. I have been asked to not make such a big deal about the scent and discuss more the shave performance so I will do that. I have to say, with all the hype I expected this soap to be top top amazing. I found it to be good, for sure top tier, but I feel like I have used better soaps. It took me a while to get it to lather, I went with David's approach of almost no water and got a nice, almost slime-like consistency. It was a smooth shave, with a good slickness. My issue was touch ups seemed a bit rough, and I needed after shave as I had a slight burn from the shave, which I do not expect when using a top tier soap. Don't get me wrong, it performed well, I just would not go out of my way to get Donkey Milk soap. Maybe it just doesn't jive with my skin.
According to the notes in the passaround worksheet, the Fougere Bouquet is the only WK that uses the older non-Donkey Milk formula. If it fits in to your schedule, it might be worth using another of the WK soaps so that you can evaluate the difference. My experience is that there is a noticeable difference between the Donkey Milk and non-Donkey Milk bases.

Bob

Where a lot of the soaps that I'd rank high, a tier1 soap to me would have to have some incredible post shave. I suspect that making an excellent soap is easy but making something that can rejuvinate your skin to equate that of a newborn is a lot more difficult. In using some soaps for a couple weeks straight I can watch my shin change for the better.

I know that you're not going to discover this from this passaround but it's something to keep in mind. In my opinion it's what separates the grooming dept and Tallow & Steel's from the rest of the pack.

Today's shave was Rock Rose Cypress Lime

Great scent, but I had a hard time getting the lather thick. I started off really dry, then added and added as I could not get it to coat my face. At about the 5 minute mark I gave up and decided maybe that was just the way the soap was supposed to be. It shaved me well but I would not call this a top tier soap on my skin. I actually got 3 weepers with it, and the after feel was a bit hot. The shave slickness was there, as was touch up slickness, but it lacked cushion. Not one I would be wanting to buy, but I know many of you really like this brand, so again, your mileage may vary, we all have different skin.

Today's shave was Tallow and Steel Maya

To be honest none of the scents in this bag would be in my den, but I know I had to try this brand. I was not disappointed, it shaves top notch, very silky smooth, nice cushion, great touch up ability as well. I really like that it lathered up super easy, I seem to have been fighting a lot of the soaps in this box, but T&S reminded me that I do know how to lather a soap! Again, great shave, and I am told it would only get better if I used it daily. If I could find a scent I want from them, I am for sure going to get a tub. I am thinking Sicily is more my taste, I love the italian shave soap scents.

Sicily is a nice citrus scent that should appeal to most people. I'd say the safest bet if you're unsure about the bolder scents.

Sicily is a nice citrus scent that should appeal to most people. I'd say the safest bet if you're unsure about the bolder scents.

Have you tried Madagascar @dfoulk? I’m curious about that one and the hasn’t been a lot of discussion about that scent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today's shave: Grooming Dept Tallow&Duck Fat Aether

Another top notch soap from this box. I got a good lather with it, and it was super slick and had a LOT of cushion. Touch ups were very good as well. This is one of those I don't think anyone would be disappointed in, and I am sure at some point this will be in my den (or at least one of their duck fat and tallow soaps). Thanks again for allowing us to try all these great soaps.

Have you tried Madagascar @dfoulk? I’m curious about that one and the hasn’t been a lot of discussion about that scent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW - I sold my tub after trying it a handful of times. I found it to be quite intense. The base is nice though, without a doubt.

FWIW - I sold my tub after trying it a handful of times. I found it to be quite intense. The base is nice though, without a doubt.
Yes - I really like the base a lot, but have yet to find a scent that I love. There are a few that are fine but that don't excite me very much. I like florals but was afraid that the Madagascar might be overwhelming with the ylang-ylang.

Top Bottom