What's new

Soap Sample Passaround Box

I received box 4 yesterday and I must say it is a bit overwhelming! There is so much good stuff in there that I feel like it will be hard to really narrow it down. I couldn't even get through sniffing the whole box just to figure out what I wanted to try before my nose got overloaded and everything smelled the same. I have tried 2 soaps from the box already (I received the Lisa's Premium samples early).
Setup for the following shaves

Rockwell 6s
Gillette Nacet Blade
28mm Paladin Dark Holler Brush
Captains Heavy Copper Bowl

Lisa's Premium Smoked Black tea had a great scent which drew me to try it, but like I said in an earlier post this soap really gives me trouble getting a good lather (I think I'm adding too much water from the start). Regardless the second time I used this soap I managed to get it lathered . The result for me was a soap that seemed too runny which in turn did not provide enough protection. I think this soap would be better if I could get it dialed in a little better.

Last night I tried Long Rifle Soap Co's Hunting Lodge. Another amazing scent that opened up even more once lathered. I was easily able to whip up a nice dense lather that provided great slickness and protection. The shave was great and I had pretty much no burn from the Alum block. The post feel shave was really really good and I did not need AS. This morning I woke up and my face feels great. This one might be going on the short list, but I like a couple of the Long Rifle Scent profiles and will struggle to get it narrowed down to just one scent.

Hopefully I will finalize my choices with the box tonight as well as get another shave in.

Ok, so next round we're going to add a box 5 that'll consist of eight tubs of Grooming Dept soap in several of the newer scents. Lathering from a sample has proven difficult for some people so in this box you'll be able to lather using the full tubs. This box will likely be something that members can choose by itself or include as a box five. This will be nice as these soaps have been difficult to get to say the least. They opened up the site with a restock this morning and everything sold out in 16 minutes.

As usual it has been a bit hectic in my household but I've tried 2 additional soaps.
The first was Crown & Crane: Tobacco Leaf & Amber This was another nice smelling soap with excellent performance. I was easily able to get a good rich lather that provided a great shave with minimal post shave burn from the Alum block.
The second soap I tried was Razormaster: Daichi I believe this is my favorite smelling soap in the entire box (very difficult choice) and the performance was on par with all these other great soaps. This is one I could get based on scent alone but luckily the performance was excellent as well.

With November starting this week I will be growing my annual winter beard meaning my shaving goes waaayyyyy down. Because of this I have selected several soaps that I have taken small samples and put in sandwich bags. That way I can sample them as time permits and not be a hold up to the box ... meaning it is going on its merry way tomorrow! @M14Shooter I will let you know as soon as I get tracking.

Ok, so next round we're going to add a box 5 that'll consist of eight tubs of Grooming Dept soap in several of the newer scents. Lathering from a sample has proven difficult for some people so in this box you'll be able to lather using the full tubs. This box will likely be something that members can choose by itself or include as a box five. This will be nice as these soaps have been difficult to get to say the least. They opened up the site with a restock this morning and everything sold out in 16 minutes.

That's pretty darn fast...

dfoulk
Updated status list

Current Status of Passaround Boxes:

1. cvargo (Box 4 Only) - Done
2. tclobaugh (Box 4 Only) - Done
3. stook2001 - Done
3. BigSpivito - Done
5. dangerousdon (Box 4 Only) - Done
6. bobmsp (Box 4 Only) - Done
7. NickMach007 - Done
8. Baylorgator - Done
9. Grundi - Done
10. SoullessSingularity - done
11. tehnothing - done
12. Merkuryrising - skipped
13. NurseDave - done
14. jsouthard825 (Box 4 Only)
15. oteixeira (Box 4 Only)
16. NyquistRate (Box 4 Only)
17. Shave Jacket (Box 3 and 4 Only)
18. M14Shooter - On its way (arriving 10/31/2018)
19. Blaidth
21. dfoulk in possession of Box 1, 2 & 3 for refill.

From box 4
Grooming Department Mallard Kulfi
I like the very spicy bouquet with hint of chocolate.
Lathers very easy in very little time.It a little thirsty soap and likes water.
Great cushion and slickness. The cushion felt softer than his other bases.Just felt different. Performance was top notch with great post shave feel to my skin.Very good soap but I think I slightly prefer his beef tallow base with a slightly firmer cushion .

From Box 4 Grooming Dept Absinthe and Leather
Loved the scent .Very powerful and lasting .Absinthe is the prominent scent with leather in the background.
It is a Lather monster .It explodes with Lather in no time .Great Cushion and very slick . Lovely post shave feel .Top Tier Soap .Very pleased .Favorite Grooming Dept Soap so far .

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
morning dfoulk been a long time since I was in this pass around, can't believe you now have 5 boxes going ! I was wondering when the next sign up might be and if there is one box with your top picks I've become quite spoiled . Cheers

morning dfoulk been a long time since I was in this pass around, can't believe you now have 5 boxes going ! I was wondering when the next sign up might be and if there is one box with your top picks I've become quite spoiled . Cheers

After the last two people get through box 4 it will return to me. Shortly after that I'll post the signup list and the boxes will be moving again. Hopefully very soon.

1230180904.jpg
Look what showed up yesterday.
Overwhelmed by the box. This one just caught my eye. With a name like Saloon, I thought it might have a liquor scent. But i mainly get a nice manly barber shop smell along with maybe a little licorice? Maybe my scent organ is off. Decent lather, and great residual sickness.
Looking forward to trying my way through this box.

I'll be adding some more soaps for the next round. I'm doing a much smaller sample passaround on another forum and several more vendors have generously volunteered to participate in both passarounds.

Joining us for the next round are:
The Holy Black
Black Tie Razor Company
Siliski Soaps
Oleo Soapworks

If you guys have any more vendors that you'd like me to reach out to please let me know. Currently we have most of the big names represented as well as several smaller makers from all over the world. I'm constantly looking for new names to add that can compete with the very best soaps that I've found. For me it's about finding something as good as or better than my very best. I'd love to find some unknown soap maker making some really exceptional soaps and help them get noticed.

Top Bottom