What's new

Your SE Path

I’ve read more than a few who discovered SE after having experiences with DE type razors. Some perhaps were SE all along.

For me, I only recently started using GEM razors. I’ve enjoyed dialing these creations in for an efficient result. Thanks to the forum I started using Schick Injector Type and love my little E2’s.

What was your path to the SE?

The same . For a decade I ignore the Gem and Feather AC style razors and the shick injectors as the DE razors had so much to offer.

Finally start if this year came around to buying a Gem vintage razor and 10 blades of the PTFE coated, picked up the RR hawk V2 and also a supply V2 and some vintage shick injectors.

Damn first stroke from the Gem razor and I was stoked. The skin feel is so terrific.

I've now a range of vintage Gem razors with some 500 PTFE coated blades, a variety of shick injectors and stash of the Chicks and also the ATT SE1 and SE2 with proline blades which is my best ac style shaver.

The thick SE blades really have something about a smooth blade and the after shave skin feel.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

The same . For a decade I ignore the Gem and Feather AC style razors and the shick injectors as the DE razors had so much to offer.

Finally start if this year came around to buying a Gem vintage razor and 10 blades of the PTFE coated, picked up the RR hawk V2 and also a supply V2 and some vintage shick injectors.

Damn first stroke from the Gem razor and I was stoked. The skin feel is so terrific.

I've now a range of vintage Gem razors with some 500 PTFE coated blades, a variety of shick injectors and stash of the Chicks and also the ATT SE1 and SE2 with proline blades which is my best ac style shaver.

The thick SE blades really have something about a smooth blade and the after shave skin feel.

The GEM type have me wanting to try a Feather AC. Any advice as to blade and holder appreciated. Use advice also would be nice to know.

The GEM type have me wanting to try a Feather AC. Any advice as to blade and holder appreciated. Use advice also would be nice to know.
The hawk V2 is a mild razor but does the job. The ATT S1 is my RAd killer. I have proline blades as well as feather and kai.. all excellent blades.

My first SE was a MMBT. I pretty much picked it up for free at a flea market, came with a Fatboy and a Tech. It really didn't speak to me so I didn't bother to get blades for it. I little later I stumbled onto a 1912, with the art deco chain link handle I really liked the way it looked, so bough it and decided to get some blades. The '12 quickly became a favorite, and I started picking them up whenever I saw one. So surprised at how many variations there were. I think I had around 10 before I found a duplicate. Once I was hooked on the 12's and had the blades I pretty much picked up anything that would take the blades.

Injectors were pretty much the same, I had several that came with other razors I bought before ever bothering to get blades. I wasn't until I stumbled onto D Type that I decided to get some blades and try them out. My favorites are the Es and the Gs, anything after the I has too long of a handle for my taste. It's funny I use injectors much more than Gem Style SE, now almost as much as I used DEs.

I found the RR Hawk V2 to be much too light for me, on a stainless handle though it worked well. I now use the stainless steel Colonial General which I LOVE. Wouldn’t sell it for the world, but unfortunately it’s all sold out for 2-3 months until the next version comes out. I’ve heard similarly great things about the ATT SE 1, or 2 if you prefer something more aggressive.

As for blades, I’m a Schick Proline guy. To me it’s the best blade ever created.

The GEM blade razors are nice but I prefer the disposable barber blade (AC) razors like the old Cobras

proxy.php

I started with DE razors in late 2013, then gravitated towards more rigid DE razor designs, which gave me the best shaves. I perfected BBS results on my face and head. During this time, my first use of the MMOC was not all that good. My first mistake was, I bought actual paint scrapers. Second mistake was using the MMOC at the wrong angle. The later milder GEM razors were my favorites, but not enough to get me to stop using DE razors.

Then there was all the hype about the Artist Club razors. AC razors were a big let down at first, I don't find Feather or Kai blades efficient at all, Kai being the better blade. A member introduced me to the Schick Proline, which were not popular at the time and could be found in Japan, I still get them from there. The Schick Proline pretty much put an end to DE razors for me. As mentioned above, it's the best blade ever made.

After using several Valet razors, I revisited the MMOC and used it flat on my face and that for was kicked open like a drug bust.

The MMOC with a GEM SS PTFE rivals my ATT SE1 with a Schick Proline and are my two favorite razors.

I like the AC blade slightly more because it's wider and has rounded corners, no blade stops necessary.

I like the Schick E2 with a Proline, but they are too narrow, I will use it occasionally though. I may pick up some injector sized Proline blades.

The AC platform went from the worse, to the best, all because of the Schick Proline blade.

I sold and gave away many of my DE razors and still have plenty of DE blades, my wife still uses them but will never come anywhere close to using them up.

I started with DE razors in late 2013, then gravitated towards more rigid DE razor designs, which gave me the best shaves. I perfected BBS results on my face and head. During this time, my first use of the MMOC was not all that good. My first mistake was, I bought actual paint scrapers. Second mistake was using the MMOC at the wrong angle. The later milder GEM razors were my favorites, but not enough to get me to stop using DE razors.

Then there was all the hype about the Artist Club razors. AC razors were a big let down at first, I don't find Feather or Kai blades efficient at all, Kai being the better blade. A member introduced me to the Schick Proline, which were not popular at the time and could be found in Japan, I still get them from there. The Schick Proline pretty much put an end to DE razors for me. As mentioned above, it's the best blade ever made.

After using several Valet razors, I revisited the MMOC and used it flat on my face and that for was kicked open like a drug bust.

The MMOC with a GEM SS PTFE rivals my ATT SE1 with a Schick Proline and are my two favorite razors.

I like the AC blade slightly more because it's wider and has rounded corners, no blade stops necessary.

I like the Schick E2 with a Proline, but they are too narrow, I will use it occasionally though. I may pick up some injector sized Proline blades.

The AC platform went from the worse, to the best, all because of the Schick Proline blade.

I sold and gave away many of my DE razors and still have plenty of DE blades, my wife still uses them but will never come anywhere close to using them up.
Where do you source Schick
Proline blades

I starter like many here with DE (just 3 years ago)and after a while went for the RR Hawk deal finding it okay but nothing to rave about.

Then bought some GEM razors and got some razor burn, so just went back to the display case for over 1.5 years.

Now that I feel that my technique has improved somewhat I ventured again with the GEM's, getting some of my best shaves, specially from the Bullet tip.

Now I have succumbed to the AC razors like the General, Asylum, and also some injectors.

Just got a Schick Hydro Magic paired with a Schick blade and couldn't believe how smooth I was after that 1st shave with it.

Enviado desde mi moto g(6) plus mediante Tapatalk

I tried an aluminum general once with a feather professional ad it didn't end well so I backed off. I have since got some different blades from try-a-blade and intend to visit it again. As a relative newbie to DE shaving, I know blade choice is paramount so I assume it's the same with SE.

I started with a Hawk V1 and had a couple of the worse shaves I've ever had and sold it as quick as I could and then picked up the Aluminum General and it was love at 1st shave. I used that for almost a year and then upgraded to the Stainless General and there just hasn't been any looking back. After trying several different blades in them I have settled on the Proline's as my go-to's and am set for quite a while now. I am awaiting the new V2 Stainless General but not sure how they could improve the shave from the V1 but I'm sure coming from Colonial it will be a winner!!

I started with a Hawk V1 and had a couple of the worse shaves I've ever had and sold it as quick as I could and then picked up the Aluminum General and it was love at 1st shave. I used that for almost a year and then upgraded to the Stainless General and there just hasn't been any looking back. After trying several different blades in them I have settled on the Proline's as my go-to's and am set for quite a while now. I am awaiting the new V2 Stainless General but not sure how they could improve the shave from the V1 but I'm sure coming from Colonial it will be a winner!!

Yea I wonder what the changes will be. Maybe just switching to US manufacturing?

I starter like many here with DE (just 3 years ago)and after a while went for the RR Hawk deal finding it okay but nothing to rave about.

Then bought some GEM razors and got some razor burn, so just went back to the display case for over 1.5 years.

Now that I feel that my technique has improved somewhat I ventured again with the GEM's, getting some of my best shaves, specially from the Bullet tip.

Now I have succumbed to the AC razors like the General, Asylum, and also some injectors.

Just got a Schick Hydro Magic paired with a Schick blade and couldn't believe how smooth I was after that 1st shave with it.

Enviado desde mi moto g(6) plus mediante Tapatalk
Can’t beat a Golden 500 with Hyro Magic

I started with DE razors and then picked up a GEM 1912. I've loved SE razors ever since, including injectors. I have not been impressed by AC razors, I find them harsh and also too wide. I prefer Schick injector blades to any of the Feather or Kai AC blades. I also absolutely love the GEM PTFE blades.

I started with DE razors and then picked up a GEM 1912. I've loved SE razors ever since, including injectors. I have not been impressed by AC razors, I find them harsh and also too wide. I prefer Schick injector blades to any of the Feather or Kai AC blades. I also absolutely love the GEM PTFE blades.

I noticed you didn't mention the Schick Proline P AC blade. Best AC blade by a long shot, sharp and smooth. They also make an injector size Schick Proline B blade.

I started with Gillettes and used those for some time until I bought a GEM 1912. I tried everything I could find that used a SE blade from the Gem Damaskeene, the micromatics, ect.. What I settled on was the Star Kampfe razors that use wedge blades. I learned how to hone and maintain them and have never looked back and use nothing else to this day! By sharpening the blades yourself you can custom control the edge on the blade to suit your skin. If they are too dull they are uncomfortable and I tend to cut myself. If too sharp razor burn will be the result after three passes. So, I keep them sharpened on a coticule somewhere in the middle and do 30 X-strokes on the coticule to keep them in top condition every 8 to 10 shaves. Naturally locating good wedge blades that are not pitted can be problematic but you only need one good one and that will last for a lifetime if it is well cared for. Hint: do not leave any carbon steel blades in your bathroom because the humidity will cause rusting!!!

I noticed you didn't mention the Schick Proline P AC blade. Best AC blade by a long shot, sharp and smooth. They also make an injector size Schick Proline B blade.
If I still had my Mongoose or ATT SE, I would definitely try them. Unfortunately, I found that the blades are just too wide for me, I had trouble in tight areas and found that my injectors worked just as well.

Top Bottom