What's new

Your SE Path

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I was scouring the local flea market for vintage Gillettes and found a guy selling a pile of GEMs for a buck a piece. Took them all. The rest was history. After sampling them all, I now buy any SE I find in the wild at a reasonable price. I still think the featherweight from that first score is my favorite. Light, nimble, efficient and smooth.

I was scouring the local flea market for vintage Gillettes and found a guy selling a pile of GEMs for a buck a piece. Took them all. The rest was history. After sampling them all, I now buy any SE I find in the wild at a reasonable price. I still think the featherweight from that first score is my favorite. Light, nimble, efficient and smooth.
Cool!!

If I still had my Mongoose or ATT SE, I would definitely try them. Unfortunately, I found that the blades are just too wide for me, I had trouble in tight areas and found that my injectors worked just as well.

Try the injector size in the link I posted below!

Where do you get the Injector prolines ?

They don't come with a key, so you have to load them into a cartridge with a key and then into the razor. It's worth it.

https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/ha-life/item/twoinone0549/

Pick small packet shipping, it's cheap and doesn't take that long.

The GEM type have me wanting to try a Feather AC. Any advice as to blade and holder appreciated. Use advice also would be nice to know.
Be careful, as this can be a slippery slope.

My journey will illustrate the point.

I started with DEs in 2009. I bought a couple of SEs a year or two later, but had no idea how to use them; disliked them immediately, and sold them. I went all in on DEs.

In July of 2018 I was on a brief vacation in New Jersey. On the way home I stopped at an antique store. I had been reading threads on the SE forum and rabidus's enthusiasm made me decide to pick up an MMOC I found at said store. Using the technique he described, I got a wonderful shave. This led me to several more GEM razors and the purchase of a 100-pack of blades.

Here's where it takes a turn. Answering questions on the forum about the proper way to wield an MMOC led to my typing, "You have to use it like you would use a straight razor," or words to that effect, on multiple threads. Which got me to thinking.....what the heck do I know about straight razors? I had never used one.

I had a curiosity about the Feather SS, as you do. I made a thread on the forum about it. A member reached me back-channel and offered to send me his kamisori-style SS so I could try it out! Amazingly generous. I had my first attempt at a Feather SS shave on December 30th of last year.

By early February, I had my first straight razor. Now I have 4 of them (sigh). I recently completed my 201st open-blade shave, and I'm about to go shave with a straight razor again.

So, all I'm saying is be careful what you wish for. It might lead to another rabbit hole that could be kind of hard to escape.

Be careful, as this can be a slippery slope.

My journey will illustrate the point.

I started with DEs in 2009. I bought a couple of SEs a year or two later, but had no idea how to use them; disliked them immediately, and sold them. I went all in on DEs.

In July of 2018 I was on a brief vacation in New Jersey. On the way home I stopped at an antique store. I had been reading threads on the SE forum and rabidus's enthusiasm made me decide to pick up an MMOC I found at said store. Using the technique he described, I got a wonderful shave. This led me to several more GEM razors and the purchase of a 100-pack of blades.

Here's where it takes a turn. Answering questions on the forum about the proper way to wield an MMOC led to my typing, "You have to use it like you would use a straight razor," or words to that effect, on multiple threads. Which got me to thinking.....what the heck do I know about straight razors? I had never used one.

I had a curiosity about the Feather SS, as you do. I made a thread on the forum about it. A member reached me back-channel and offered to send me his kamisori-style SS so I could try it out! Amazingly generous. I had my first attempt at a Feather SS shave on December 30th of last year.

By early February, I had my first straight razor. Now I have 4 of them (sigh). I recently completed my 201st open-blade shave, and I'm about to go shave with a straight razor again.

So, all I'm saying is be careful what you wish for. It might lead to another rabbit hole that could be kind of hard to escape.
Yes, the rabbit hole is always a danger....lol!! However, since I have no interest in sharpening a blade, the Feather DX or SS makes more sense for me.

@rabidus
I tried ordering from Japan
The emails they sent me to confirm the order were in Japanese or Korean. Couldn’t read any of it. How do you get an English email to confirm order/shipping?

@rabidus
I tried ordering from Japan
The emails they sent me to confirm the order were in Japanese or Korean. Couldn’t read any of it. How do you get an English email to confirm order/shipping?
There should have been some English in there, but another shipped email or payment email is coming if you selected PayPal.

I placed an order today...

Hi,

I got the itch for SE when I decided I wanted to collect and use the razors that I remember my Grandfathers used. One was a GEM user, the other used Schick Injectors.

I don't have the best memory of the GEMS, as he kept them in the medicine cabinet. But the G-Bar and Featherweight seem to match my memories. The Injectors I do remember well, an L and a Adjustable where always on the bathroom sink countertop. So, I have the L and will get around to finding a nice Adjustable soon enough.

It only took one shave to understand why both of my Grandfathers were fans of SE razors. So much easier to use than DE in my book. Always nice smooth shaves with no hassle or effort. I have been kind of wondering just how much influence the Schick Injector had on plastic disposables that are so common these days.

Hi,

I got the itch for SE when I decided I wanted to collect and use the razors that I remember my Grandfathers used. One was a GEM user, the other used Schick Injectors.

I don't have the best memory of the GEMS, as he kept them in the medicine cabinet. But the G-Bar and Featherweight seem to match my memories. The Injectors I do remember well, an L and a Adjustable where always on the bathroom sink countertop. So, I have the L and will get around to finding a nice Adjustable soon enough.

It only took one shave to understand why both of my Grandfathers were fans of SE razors. So much easier to use than DE in my book. Always nice smooth shaves with no hassle or effort. I have been kind of wondering just how much influence the Schick Injector had on plastic disposables that are so common these days.
Retrieving my grandfathers memory is what caused me to seek a Schick Krona and experience vintage shaving . Thank you for sharing your story.

My path started last week or so when i got a notification that the PAA inject was back and available. I figured why not, i'd been looking for a long time at them, but i had no idea what one. The reviews here were good so i grabbed one and some personna blades. First blade was bad and it was not enjoyable. Second blade was good, and it was better, but i still have some learning to do. I picked up an E2 based on everyone raving about them. My typical DEs are the R41, Wunderbar, F plate Karve, etc. They leave me smooth all day. The PAA has stubble by 5 or 6 pm or so. Could be technique, could be the razor. Only time will tell. I THINK, if i don't like it my wife will as it has a long handle, resembles her regular razors and has no blade tabs like the DE's i gave her did. She currently ha my Fendrihan on a long Lord handle. At any rate, once I get the E in I will know for sure. I am positive she will like the injector tho if i don't wind up using it.

My path started last week or so when i got a notification that the PAA inject was back and available. I figured why not, i'd been looking for a long time at them, but i had no idea what one. The reviews here were good so i grabbed one and some personna blades. First blade was bad and it was not enjoyable. Second blade was good, and it was better, but i still have some learning to do. I picked up an E2 based on everyone raving about them. My typical DEs are the R41, Wunderbar, F plate Karve, etc. They leave me smooth all day. The PAA has stubble by 5 or 6 pm or so. Could be technique, could be the razor. Only time will tell. I THINK, if i don't like it my wife will as it has a long handle, resembles her regular razors and has no blade tabs like the DE's i gave her did. She currently ha my Fendrihan on a long Lord handle. At any rate, once I get the E in I will know for sure. I am positive she will like the injector tho if i don't wind up using it.
My first E 2 was a ‘39 and had been bent a tiny bit so that it didn’t shave correctly. I used the second one to dial I the right angle. I love mine for WTG and ATG including under my nose. They are said to be aggressive. All I know is they work well and feel smooth.

My first E 2 was a ‘39 and had been bent a tiny bit so that it didn’t shave correctly. I used the second one to dial I the right angle. I love mine for WTG and ATG including under my nose. They are said to be aggressive. All I know is they work well and feel smooth.
This is what I am hoping. IMHO it's only "aggressive" if you don't use it properly. I cannot do more than 3 passes ever or i get razor burn. Consequently i have to use very efficient razors. The L isn't there yet for me. Just too mild requiring too many passes and causing burn. Hopefully the Proline blades make a difference. If not there is the E2 on it's way.

This is what I am hoping. IMHO it's only "aggressive" if you don't use it properly. I cannot do more than 3 passes ever or i get razor burn. Consequently i have to use very efficient razors. The L isn't there yet for me. Just too mild requiring too many passes and causing burn. Hopefully the Proline blades make a difference. If not there is the E2 on it's way.
I hope you have a great E experience. I just use chicks in all my Schicks

Top Bottom