What's new

My Quest for Functional Strength, Improved Flexability and Weight Loss

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'm in my early 60's, would like to lose 40 lbs., gain some functional strength and improved flexibility. I have NEVER been very flexible, even when I was a trim 30 y.o. and it has only got worse with age. I have to work through some chronic issues with my lower back and shoulders. A buddy of mine at work is about the same age and also needs to shed about 40 lbs., so we have a weight loss challenge just starting up, to run through the end of the year. Loser buys the winner a $50-60 bottle of Scotch or Bourbon of the winner's choice. I'd be surprised if either of us lose all 40 lbs. in that time period, so the task is to see who will be the most under 220 lbs. I of course intend to carry on beyond the end of the year with a weight loss and exercise program.
My focus is to modify my diet, but not follow a particular diet, build some muscle to aid in burning fat and improve my flexibility through exercise and appropriate stretches. Most of my physical activity will be guided by clubbell circular strength training and body weight work outs, with a lot of walking when it cools down in the coming months. I can't really run because of issues with my lower back. I used to do a fair amount of cycling, but that to has become problematic with neck, back and shoulder issues. I do hope that cycling is something I can eventually get back into.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Just saw this post ... I had just mentioned the Superjoints DVD in your other thread, so won't repeat that advice here. But kudos on taking the steps to get back in shape.

I have NEVER been very flexible, even when I was a trim 30 y.o. and it has only got worse with age.

Sounds like me! Never Mr. Flexibility.

I heard somewhere that some people actually have less flexibility potential in their skeletons. (I think it was in reference to something someone called "the celtic hip" where people from Scotland/Ireland typically can't do the splits because their hip sockets are too deep. Or something like that.) The point being, you can work on your ligaments and tendons and muscles ... but the bones may (will) set the finite limits of what you can achieve.

so we have a weight loss challenge just starting up, to run through the end of the year.

My focus is to modify my diet, but not follow a particular diet

check out the "ketogenic" thread here in the clubhouse (if you haven't already). A lot of guys here have had weight loss success with that dietary approach. Even if you only do it long enough to win the bottle of Scotch, and then dial it back to a generally low-carb lifestyle that's still cool.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I must definitely have the Celtic hip, as my ancestry is primarily Irish/Scottish and English.
I did peruse the ketogenic diet thread. Not sure that I'm sold on it and I want to build muscle so I would probably be eating more protein than it calls for.

My two cents:

1. Calculate your TDEE and drop your caloric intake about ten or fifteen percent below that number. You can calculate this online if haven't already.

2. Buy a food scale and portion your meals to your daily caloric intake while on your diet. There are tons of calorie counters out there. I like and use My Fitness Pal.

3. Calculate your macros. My Fitness Pal can do this too. Since you sound like you are wanting to do a traditional bodybuilding type of diet, look at something like 50% carbs, 25% fat, 25% protein.

4. If you have healthy kidneys, protein is your friend. It will build muscle and keep you full. Don't go crazy, but make sure you focus on clean protein every day (fish, poultry, that sort of thing).

5. Eat clean. Fresh lean meats, lots of veggies, clean carbs (rice, sweet potatoes). Avoid fried crap, processed crap, sugary snacks, soda (even diet soda), empty calorie foods. Get most of your daily fat intake from olive oil.

6. Walk at a brisk pace so that your heart rate gets up. Do this as often as you can at first (daily if possible), for at least thirty minutes or whatever you can do. Work your way up to an hour per session if possible. An easy and very rough way to estimate if your heart rate is up - while walking, if you can easily say the first lines of the Emancipation Proclamation smoothly and with one breath, you need to pick up the pace.

7. When you feel ready to incorporate some weight lifting into your routine, don't hesitate to hire a trainer for a few hourly sessions, to help you develop a routine that can be followed regularly. They will be happy to do this, and it will be the best investment you can make.

You don't have to do keto to lose weight. Something along the lines of the above will make the pounds and fat melt off, and you will feel better than you've felt in years.

But before you do anything, I suggest to get a checkup and labs done at your M.D. to make sure you are good to go.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@auk1124 , thanks for all the tips. I've already begun to "eat clean" and I'm working on portion control. Probably won't count calories, weigh food portions or do a bunch of calculations, but I know that works for others. My basic plan is to eat better, eat less, move more! I can drop weight when I put my mind to it, done it before, just have to stick with it for longer than I've done before. I need to force myself to drink more water, drink less coffee and far less alcohol. I'm not a big soft drink person, usually ice tea or Perrier, or just plain water.
The only issue I have with walking is the heat and humidity of August in S.E. Louisiana. I will be hitting the bike/walking path soon though. My weight training will be with Clubbells and body weight exercises. Both of which I've started to do, slowly easing into it. I know of no local training source for Clubbells, so I'll have to rely on my books and videos for that. I won't be going to any gym for traditional weight training, or I would get instruction. I pretty much have all of the resources for training at home. I really wish there was a local trainer for what I want to do. I've been an RN for 32 years, get regular check ups and labs at least every 6 months. So from a knowledge standpoint, I'm pretty much on top of my health. I just need to do what I know I need to do. Thanks for the encouragement!

Last edited:
Excellent goals!

I have a ‘simple’ approach that works for me:
1. Watch what you eat.
2. Weights 2/3 days per week (focusing on different body areas)
3. Walking/aerobics 2/3 days per week.
During the last 10 years my weight has been stable (+/- 5 pounds) and my strength has increased.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Making a little bit of progress, down only about 6 lbs., but getting a slight bit of improved muscle definition. Continue to rehab my shoulders, was able to do a few standard push-ups without too much discomfort, but will stick to "girl" push-ups for the most part. At my age there is a fine line between meaningful exercise and aggravating chronic injuries.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Got out on the bike today for the first time in over a year. Just a short 45 min. ride. My bike still needs some tweaking to make it more comfortable for longer rides. I ordered a stem extension which I hope to install this weekend. Although my back didn't bother me on this short ride, my neck did, need a more upright position, hence the stem extension. I may have to change out my saddle, but that can wait until after I get the handle bar height where it needs to be and see how that feels on a longer ride.

Lots of good advice, and sounds like you’re making progress. Auk1124 sounds like he does weight reduction counseling for a living! Excellent resource.

Some weight loss studies show that for weight loss, the following are helpful:

1. High protein breakfast
2. Aerobic exercise 500 minutes a week
3. 2-3 30 minute weight resistance exercise sessions per week
4. As listed above, avoid sugar sweetened beverages. This includes sugar substitutes which may alter the way your gut processes food and extracts calories.
5. Watch your calories. People who count calories lose weight. MyFitnessPal is also my favorite app for this
6. While most folks focus on the three main meals, incorporating a mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack may level out your insulin levels and help you with your goal.

Making long term changes to your diet that you can continue at the end of your year will help you maintain the gains you’ve accomplished.

Best of luck! And be looking at which bottle he’s gonna have to cough up!!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
High protein breakfast, no problem. I raise chickens so I have an ample supply of organic eggs.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
6. While most folks focus on the three main meals, incorporating a mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack may level out your insulin levels and help you with your goal.

I remember when this advice was all the rage ... now the research shows that intermittent fasting is actually better than "always having just eaten". It's fascinating how our knowledge evolves.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I remember when this advice was all the rage ... now the research shows that intermittent fasting is actually better than "always having just eaten". It's fascinating how our knowledge evolves.
I've always taken healthy snacks to work, nuts, fruit, yogurt, etc. My work days are long, 12+ hr shifts and a long commute, don't get to eat dinner till late at night and breakfast is at O'dark 30. I probably eat too many "healthy calories". I just ordered Dr Fung's book "The Obesity Code" as recommended by a cardiologist I work with. We'll see what happens.

I've always taken healthy snacks to work, nuts, fruit, yogurt, etc. My work days are long, 12+ hr shifts and a long commute, don't get to eat dinner till late at night and breakfast is at O'dark 30. I probably eat too many "healthy calories". I just ordered Dr Fung's book "The Obesity Code" as recommended by a cardiologist I work with. We'll see what happens.

You can absolutely, positively control your weight and gain muscle with six small meals a day. You don't have to do keto or intermittent fasting if you don't want to. Those are all the rage these days but there are other ways to get to the same place.

I've lost an unbelievable amount of weight and have kept it off for over a year, while adding muscle. I just noticed tonight that I've developed nice separation in my quads and hamstrings. I've never done a day of fasting or keto, and my biggest meal of the day is at 10:30 right before bed.

If you find that fasting and keto works for you, go for it. But exercise, portion control, and calorie counting will get you there too. You just have to commit to do it. There ain't no shortcuts or magic tricks. I suspect that keto and fasting require the same level of commitment and discipline as any other avenue to weight loss.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
You just have to commit to do it. There ain't no shortcuts or magic tricks.

Absolutely!

This is the key. Discipline.

I suspect that keto and fasting require the same level of commitment and discipline as any other avenue to weight loss.

Having tried keto as well as other methods, I can say there IS a difference. When doing keto, the overarching theme is "fanatical avoidance of carbs" ... but you eat enough (of the "right" foods) that you are not "hungry hungry" all the time or almost ever. On the other hand, most other diet methods focus "fanatical avoidance of eating enough" and there's a lot more time spent "being hungry". So, IMHO, different types of deprivation and different sensations that need to be dealt with by the discipline one needs to have. (And yes, there's some of "the other" in each ... keto dieters need to eat sensible amounts rather than over-eating; "other" dieters need to seek out "good" foods and avoid "junk" ... but IMHO these are secondary emphases.)

Weight Watchers and Yoga. I went from 305# to 194# and have stayed below 200# for over 20 years.

Congratulations! Tremendous results. I've never done Weight Watchers but I understand it is basically a portion control program. Congrats for keeping the weight off for so long! That is an outstanding result right there.

here are my $0.02 and I think most have touched base on the topic.
I have been doing keto and intermittent fasting for a few month. I am in my 40's and my wife and friends - same age bracket - that have done it lost 7-10 lbs in the first week (water weight) and 1-2 lbs per week since.
I encourage you to find Dr. Berg and Dr. Fong on you tube as they talk about IF and Keto.
You can do one without the other by the way.
- eating 6-7 small meals a day spikes your insulin level. That is OK as long as you are not insulin insensitive.
the insulin in your system can easily convert to fat if you are insensitive or ingesting too many carbs, even healthy ones in the form of fruits and nuts. unfortunately due to our typical western diet, as we age we become insulin insensitive due to the influx in insulin all of our life. Diabetes runs in my family so I am already pre-disposed to it.
- With KETO you are truly never hungry. once you are fat adapted, if you did not ingest enough food for the day, your body will burn body fat for energy = weight loss. When you are on a typical low calories diet when your body runs out of insulin, you crash and crave food, Thus fall off the plan. I can go hours without eating and never feel lethargic.
Since you have chicken, keto can be very easy, even IF. I eat 4 eggs in the AM with avocado and bacon or pork belly. That is about half of my calories intake. lunch is usually 4-5 cups of salad mix. 4-6 ounces or protein, 2 ounces of nuts, olives and salami (sometimes for fat content). I do drink coffee with butter in it (grass fed). total is about 2k in calories
- I tried other diets (low carbs, cycling, low calories etc). They all work to a certain point, but always felt hungry. not with KETO.
- if you plan your day, you can easily hit you caloric intake, your fat intake and not be hungry. is it rough at the beginning, I won't lie, but gets very easy in a couple of weeks
as always, always check with your DR before starting on anything
for flexibility, I do yoga. and yes yoga is hard and sucks at the beginning.

good luck

Last edited:

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
My wife has a bodyblade and loves it as it is perfect for core.
on older formula I recall is 220 minus your age, then 85% of that number is target heart rate for burning fat. Try it for a few seconds. Each day work the time in the zone.
Add weight/strength training.
Manage caloric intake/salt intake/fat intake intelligently.
Get great sleep.
Stay hydrated.
The # of pounds is one minor goal for me; the major goal is overall fitness and how do my pants fit.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
So I just finished reading the Obesity Code and I'm starting my first fast today. I weighed 208.2 lbs. after my "morning constitutional", so I'm down another 2 lbs., for a total of 8, just by watching what I eat. I last ate at about 6 PM last night and will shoot for about that same time frame tonight. I'm having some black coffee with a pad of butter in it this AM. I need to order some MTC oil and pick up some cream at the store. Not sure what I will do mid-day yet. I will try to stick with coffee, tea and water till dinner, but I may have to cheat a bit and have some V-8 juice if I can't hang (I know, V-8 is not ideal, but it's what I have on hand). On my non-fasting days, I will do time restricted eating , which will be a major change for me as I work long shifts and get home late. I'm not sure if I'll try fasting while working vs fasting on non work days. It may be easiest to fast at work and schedule my one meal at lunch when working.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
A few ounces of beef broth and a cup of strong green tea for lunch. Need to take in more water though.

Top Bottom