What's new

My strange journey

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I will say this at the outset - what a strange journey it has been…

I first joined B&B way back in 2009. Suffice it to say that there was less stuff to buy then, and most of it was of a lower quality.

I wetshaved with DE razors for about 15 years, and my complaint was always that in order to get a smooth, BBS shave, I had to go over the same area again and again from different angles. This resulted in irritation and redness. My beard grows thick in all directions, so to get to BBS I have to shave in multiple passes from different directions, causing red skin, irritation, and pain. After experimentation, I found that more efficient DE razors give me a better shave with less irritation, because I have to make fewer passes.

I gradually switched from an aftershave splash, to a balm, which helped. I also learned the difference between aggressive and efficient. Eventually, I could get a reliable BBS shave, with the caveat that I had to take a break every few days, to let my skin rest. DE shaving just has never been a daily enterprise for me.

Thanks to an unexpected medical issue, I recently found myself on blood thinners, and unable to use a safety razor. I had to see what electric razors had to offer. At the outset I was not that hopeful. I last used an electric razor shortly before I got into wet shaving around 15 years ago, and my experience then was that it just could not hope to compete with a safety razor. Not close, uncomfortable, unrewarding. That being said, doctor’s orders are doctor’s orders, so I started reading everything possible to figure out the best electric option for me. And I am glad I did, because the technology that goes into electric razors has improved by leaps and bounds.

When I was forced to develop my skill using electric razors, I found that there is a learning period, just like with safety razors, where your shave is improving marginally each day as you learn new things and add them to your toolbox. By A-B testing my approach, I was able to get a quicker, closer, less irritated shave, using an electric, than I could with even the most efficient safety razor. Heresy, I know, but heresy that gets me a better shave.

All told it took about a couple months to get used to the quirks of electric shaving. I spent a long time on shavercheck.com learning technique, and how not to break the bank. (That is a great resource that you absolutely should take advantage of.) The costs of starting are practically de minimis - I only bought lubricating oil, cleaning solution, and Lectric Shave to go with the razor.

I initially bought a Braun Series Series 9 Sport. My results weren’t that great. I couldn’t get very close shaves, and it just wasn’t at all enjoyable. I tried it for a week or so, but in the end concluded that the Braun Series 9 wasn’t able to shave close enough for my pirate beard. I am used to getting BBS shaves with a safety razor, and that sets a high bar. So I returned the Braun, and got a Panasonic Arc 5 instead. I liked it better from the start. It was a cheaper option, and it shaved closer. This said, it was still a learning curve. Electric shaving, like safety razor shaving, takes some tricks and some time to get used to.

The Arc 5 is capable of either dry shaving or wet shaving. The dry shaving with Lectric Shave is quicker, and faster, but less enjoyable and a bit less close. While it would be good for rushed mornings, for me wetshaving is more enjoyable.

Electric wetshaving is closer than dryshaving. In order to wetshave with an electric razor, the technique is different from with a safety razor. With a safety razor, you go for a fluffy, shiny lather with a brush, in order to get slickness and protection. With an electric, the protection doesn’t matter because you can’t cut yourself. I just spread the Speick shaving cream over my face and add a bit water so it's more runny. Shave away, going against the grain. I have tried using a brush but found it counterproductive.

I have a bunch of Speick sticks, so next I thought I should try them with an electric razor. While a normal lather with the shave stick and a brush did not work, I found that if I rub the stick over my skin for about 15 seconds, rub my face with a wet hand to assure the soap is evenly distributed, and shave, the shave is even closer than using Speick cream, and my skin feels healthier. The stick will last a long time as well.

Finally, I have found that by combining dry shaving/cream, dry shaving/stick, cream/stick, or all three, I actually cut my time down significantly, while increasing the closeness of the shave. Rather than constantly run my hand over my face while I am shaving to see if I have missed anything, I aim for getting 80% of everything in the first dry pass with Lectric Shave. This takes about a minute and a half. Then I switch to the combo shave stick / cream, and clean up what was missed with the Lectric Shave. All told, I am done in about 5 minutes.

As for cleaning the electric razor up afterwards, there are two options. The included cleaning stand and solution are obviously great. I used them at first, and found that when I wet shave, I have to run the razor upside down for a bit, to get the excess water out, before running the cleaning and drying cycle. Otherwise, the leftover water that is stuck in the razor can accumulate in the reservoir, and eventually leak into the cleaning station, causing the solution to dilute and flood the cleaning station. It takes all of 10 seconds to get the excess water out of the razor before starting the cleaning cycle. Or, you can just take it apart and let it dry.

A cheaper option is soap and water, followed by a lubricant. The Arc 5 has a neato ultrasonic cleaning mode where the razor vibrates at a different frequency to clean itself. Get the razor wet, add soap to the outside, and start the 20-second ultrasonic cleaning mode. Then, take the outer foil off, and rinse it with water. Then, switch the body of the shaver on briefly and rinse it with water as well. Finally, just put it on a towel to dry.

Once it is dry, I apply a 5-in-1 spray and then run it for a few seconds to ensure even application. Every couple of days I will apply an oil instead to really lubricate it. It sounds complicated but it really isn’t. It takes a total of a minute or two to do the entire process. If you are trying to save money this is a great option that honestly works just as well. After I run out of the cleaning solution packets, this is probably what I will do long term.

To the moderators: I debated between putting this in General Shaving Discussion versus Modern Shaving Systems. I eventually chose the latter, because this is related to my journey, rather than solely electric razors. If you think it should go into Modern Shaving Systems, please feel free to move it!

Last edited:
That was a very interesting read and you have opened my mind. I’ve never tried a wet electric shave and you explain everything very well. Fascinating to know that you can get better shaves with this than using a razor.

What I found in my shave journey was that although for a long time I too preferred more efficient / aggressive razors and I enjoyed feeling the blade, eventually I moved on to milder feeling razors. I found that when my technique with the razor developed enough then the mild razors became very efficient too, and I could get the same close shave more comfortably, no redness, no blood spots on the towel when I dry off. Maybe without the medical condition this might have been your journey too.

I suspect the lesson is that developing the right technique is what leads to great shaves, more than the equipment you use. In your case you developed a great technique with the electric shaver. I think we’re all here to get the best and most enjoyable shaves we can, and why can’t that be electric if we learn the best ways to use the tool?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
That was a very interesting read and you have opened my mind. I’ve never tried a wet electric shave and you explain everything very well. Fascinating to know that you can get better shaves with this than using a razor.

What I found in my shave journey was that although for a long time I too preferred more efficient / aggressive razors and I enjoyed feeling the blade, eventually I moved on to milder feeling razors. I found that when my technique with the razor developed enough then the mild razors became very efficient too, and I could get the same close shave more comfortably, no redness, no blood spots on the towel when I dry off. Maybe without the medical condition this might have been your journey too.

I suspect the lesson is that developing the right technique is what leads to great shaves, more than the equipment you use. In your case you developed a great technique with the electric shaver. I think we’re all here to get the best and most enjoyable shaves we can, and why can’t that be electric if we learn the best ways to use the tool?
Hear, hear! I was honestly heartbroken to discover that I would have to give up DE razors. Wet shaving has been a part of my morning ritual for such a long time. I think that much of it was due to my being unwilling to give up the BBS. I knew that there were guys out there who swear that they can get closer electric shaves than razor shaves. I was determined to figure out how the heck they were doing that.

The fact that there is a resource as comprehensive as shavercheck.com made it kind of easy and fun to figure out ways to improve. Ovidiu is extremely dedicated, and it shows on his website.

:a8:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I will say this at the outset - what a strange journey it has been…

I first joined B&B way back in 2009. Suffice it to say that there was less stuff to buy then, and most of it was of a lower quality.

I wetshaved with DE razors for about 15 years, and my complaint was always that in order to get a smooth, BBS shave, I had to go over the same area again and again from different angles. This resulted in irritation and redness. My beard grows thick in all directions, so to get to BBS I have to shave in multiple passes from different directions, causing red skin, irritation, and pain. After experimentation, I found that more efficient DE razors give me a better shave with less irritation, because I have to make fewer passes.

I gradually switched from an aftershave splash, to a balm, which helped. I also learned the difference between aggressive and efficient. Eventually, I could get a reliable BBS shave, with the caveat that I had to take a break every few days, to let my skin rest. DE shaving just has never been a daily enterprise for me.

Thanks to an unexpected medical issue, I recently found myself on blood thinners, and unable to use a safety razor. I had to see what electric razors had to offer. At the outset I was not that hopeful. I last used an electric razor shortly before I got into wet shaving around 15 years ago, and my experience then was that it just could not hope to compete with a safety razor. Not close, uncomfortable, unrewarding. That being said, doctor’s orders are doctor’s orders, so I started reading everything possible to figure out the best electric option for me. And I am glad I did, because the technology that goes into electric razors has improved by leaps and bounds.

When I was forced to develop my skill using electric razors, I found that there is a learning period, just like with safety razors, where your shave is improving marginally each day as you learn new things and add them to your toolbox. By A-B testing my approach, I was able to get a quicker, closer, less irritated shave, using an electric, than I could with even the most efficient safety razor. Heresy, I know, but heresy that gets me a better shave.

All told it took about a couple months to get used to the quirks of electric shaving. I spent a long time on shavercheck.com learning technique, and how not to break the bank. (That is a great resource that you absolutely should take advantage of.) The costs of starting are practically de minimis - I only bought lubricating oil, cleaning solution, and Lectric Shave to go with the razor.

I initially bought a Braun Series Series 9 Sport. My results weren’t that great. I couldn’t get very close shaves, and it just wasn’t at all enjoyable. I tried it for a week or so, but in the end concluded that the Braun Series 9 wasn’t able to shave close enough for my pirate beard. I am used to getting BBS shaves with a safety razor, and that sets a high bar. So I returned the Braun, and got a Panasonic Arc 5 instead. I liked it better from the start. It was a cheaper option, and it shaved closer. This said, it was still a learning curve. Electric shaving, like safety razor shaving, takes some tricks and some time to get used to.

The Arc 5 is capable of either dry shaving or wet shaving. The dry shaving with Lectric Shave is quicker, and faster, but less enjoyable and a bit less close. While it would be good for rushed mornings, for me wetshaving is more enjoyable.

Electric wetshaving is closer than dryshaving. In order to wetshave with an electric razor, the technique is different from with a safety razor. With a safety razor, you go for a fluffy, shiny lather with a brush, in order to get slickness and protection. With an electric, the protection doesn’t matter because you can’t cut yourself. I just spread the Speick shaving cream over my face and add a bit water so it's more runny. Shave away, going against the grain. I have tried using a brush but found it counterproductive.

I have a bunch of Speick sticks, so next I thought I should try them with an electric razor. While a normal lather with the shave stick and a brush did not work, I found that if I rub the stick over my skin for about 15 seconds, rub my face with a wet hand to assure the soap is evenly distributed, and shave, the shave is even closer than using Speick cream, and my skin feels healthier. The stick will last a long time as well.

Finally, I have found that by combining dry shaving/cream, dry shaving/stick, cream/stick, or all three, I actually cut my time down significantly, while increasing the closeness of the shave. Rather than constantly run my hand over my face while I am shaving to see if I have missed anything, I aim for getting 80% of everything in the first dry pass with Lectric Shave. This takes about a minute and a half. Then I switch to the combo shave stick / cream, and clean up what was missed with the Lectric Shave. All told, I am done in about 5 minutes.

As for cleaning the electric razor up afterwards, there are two options. The included cleaning stand and solution are obviously great. I used them at first, and found that when I wet shave, I have to run the razor upside down for a bit, to get the excess water out, before running the cleaning and drying cycle. Otherwise, the leftover water that is stuck in the razor can accumulate in the reservoir, and eventually leak into the cleaning station, causing the solution to dilute and flood the cleaning station. It takes all of 10 seconds to get the excess water out of the razor before starting the cleaning cycle. Or, you can just take it apart and let it dry.

A cheaper option is soap and water, followed by a lubricant. The Arc 5 has a neato ultrasonic cleaning mode where the razor vibrates at a different frequency to clean itself. Get the razor wet, add soap to the outside, and start the 20-second ultrasonic cleaning mode. Then, take the outer foil off, and rinse it with water. Then, switch the body of the shaver on briefly and rinse it with water as well. Finally, just put it on a towel to dry.

Once it is dry, I apply a 5-in-1 spray and then run it for a few seconds to ensure even application. Every couple of days I will apply an oil instead to really lubricate it. It sounds complicated but it really isn’t. It takes a total of a minute or two to do the entire process. If you are trying to save money this is a great option that honestly works just as well. After I run out of the cleaning solution packets, this is probably what I will do long term.

To the moderators: I debated between putting this in General Shaving Discussion versus Modern Shaving Systems. I eventually chose the latter, because this is related to my journey, rather than solely electric razors. If you think it should go into Modern Shaving Systems, please feel free to move it!

I wanted to take a moment, to thank you, for telling us about your amazing journey! We each have a story, on how we came to traditional wet shaving. For some of us, we were looking for a better more comfortable shave. For others, it was simply in regards to cost, getting away from costly cartridge razor blade replacements. And for many of us, it was both lol.

Some folks who get into DE shaving, fall back out of it after a month or so. Those of us who have been doing it for awhile, know that it really takes a year at least, to sort out buying hardware, software, learning technique, in order to get the full benefit, from DE shaving. Those who decide to get into straight razors, have an even larger learning curve still, and the prices for said razors, honing/stropping gear, are through the roof expensive, in comparison to an DE, or even SE razor.

And for the occasional few, fine folks like yourself, got forced out of DE, due to medical issues, bringing an unfortunate end to traditional wet shaving. My father was on blood thinners, so I know all too well, how its important to not even get a bad scratch, let alone cut, as one can bleed like niagra falls very easily, for those who are on blood thinners. My dad was on Coumadin BTW, incase you were wondering.

I have experience cartridge razors, DE razors, and yes, even electric shavers. I will say that DE razors are my favorite, they provide me the closest shave, as well as the most comfortable shave. Cartridge razors do not provide me the closes shave, I can get a DFS shave with them sure, but not a BBS shave. Plus cartridge razors cause me ingrowns sometimes, and the blade clogs on a consistent bases. And as we all know, the blade replacements are expensive.

I hate all rotary shavers! I have course whiskers, all rotary shavers do is yank on my hair, making me feel like I am in a torture chamber, where they want me to give up the location of the rebel base. Having said that however, foil shavers do work for me. My Panasonic Arc 4 shaver, can get me to an 80% BBS shave, but causes irritation and redness, hence, razor burn. Some of this can be minimized, when I use a shave gel from Tomb45.

I am primarily a traditional wet shaver of the DE variety now days. However, if I missed some whiskers, a quick once over with my electric shaver, will correct that oversight. Also, if I am feeling sick, last thing I will want is to do a DE shave, just too much work. Electric foil shavers are quicker, provided I don't let my whiskers grow out past the 2-day mark. I've already gone through one blade head and foil replacement in the almost 2-years that I've owned it.

A lot of people like the Panasonic Arc 5 shaver, ( You Included! ) and you know they got the Arc 6 out now. I am thinking about maybe upgrading soon, as much whiskers are a bit too course for the Arc 4, and I know that some of the reason why I have some difficulty, in the time it takes the razor to get the job done. The Arc 5 or Arc 6, should be a welcome upgrade. But make no mistake about it, I much prefer the shave I get, from a DE razor.

In regards to brushes, I got 2-synthetic and 2-ST Badger. Each have their positives and negatives, there is no such thing as the perfect brush, at least not in my experience. But based on what you are looking for, you can get some pretty decent brushes for the price, especially in the synthetic department. With bowls, they can vary wildly, weather you got stone, ceramic, steel, aluminum, or plastic. But ideal, a bowl that is large enough to get the job done, is all you really need.

When it comes to shave soaps, I love the Tallow based soaps, those from Stirling, Captains Choice, and the like. I also like shave sticks, I am a big fan of the Speick shave sticks, performance is superb, and they smell awesome! I even like Arko sticks, even though the scent is a bit on the extreme, they have amazing performance. I think thick soaps work best for DE razor, but I don't recommend thick soaps for electric shavers.

For me at least, I found my Arc 4 to clog when using a thick soap. Where as, if I used a non-foaming shave gel, performance was better for my electric shaver, without clogging. But heck, use what works I say. My only best advice is pretty much that. Find what works best for you, and go with that. Again, I am sorry to hear about your medical issues. But I am just glad you were able to successfully find a work around.

Please keep being amazing, and enjoying your shave, you deserve it! :thumbup1:

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I wanted to take a moment, to thank you, for telling us about your amazing journey! We each have a story, on how we came to traditional wet shaving. For some of us, we were looking for a better more comfortable shave. For others, it was simply in regards to cost, getting away from costly cartridge razor blade replacements. And for many of us, it was both lol.

Some folks who get into DE shaving, fall back out of it after a month or so. Those of us who have been doing it for awhile, know that it really takes a year at least, to sort out buying hardware, software, learning technique, in order to get the full benefit, from DE shaving. Those who decide to get into straight razors, have an even larger learning curve still, and the prices for said razors, honing/stropping gear, are through the roof expensive, in comparison to an DE, or even SE razor.

What a thoughtful reply! I feel I won't really be able to do your reply justice. One of the nice unintended consequences of switching to an electric razor has been that there is much, much less stuff to worry about buying. Moreover I have a bunch of stuff to sell now that will hopefully fetch a bit of money! Your comment about the learning curve is all too true. The learning curve with electric shaving is still there, it's just more compressed. Like you, it took me years to figure out what worked best for me DE shaving. It took months with an electric. And, now that I think about it, the knowledge gained from DE shaving helped with electric. I never would have known to try a shave stick and cream at the same time if I did not browse B&B.

I have experience cartridge razors, DE razors, and yes, even electric shavers. I will say that DE razors are my favorite, they provide me the closest shave, as well as the most comfortable shave. Cartridge razors do not provide me the closes shave, I can get a DFS shave with them sure, but not a BBS shave. Plus cartridge razors cause me ingrowns sometimes, and the blade clogs on a consistent bases. And as we all know, the blade replacements are expensive.

I hate all rotary shavers! I have course whiskers, all rotary shavers do is yank on my hair, making me feel like I am in a torture chamber, where they want me to give up the location of the rebel base. Having said that however, foil shavers do work for me. My Panasonic Arc 4 shaver, can get me to an 80% BBS shave, but causes irritation and redness, hence, razor burn. Some of this can be minimized, when I use a shave gel from Tomb45.

Agreed that cartridge razors lead to ingrown hairs. They are prohibitively expensive. I have always heard that rotary shavers are awful, although I have never tried one myself.

A lot of people like the Panasonic Arc 5 shaver, ( You Included! ) and you know they got the Arc 6 out now. I am thinking about maybe upgrading soon, as much whiskers are a bit too course for the Arc 4, and I know that some of the reason why I have some difficulty, in the time it takes the razor to get the job done. The Arc 5 or Arc 6, should be a welcome upgrade. But make no mistake about it, I much prefer the shave I get, from a DE razor.

I honestly thought about purchasing an Arc 6 rather than an Arc 5. But no matter how I tried I just could not justify the price increase. Shavercheck.com said the Arc 6 was practically identical to the Arc 5, so I went with the cheaper option.

Top Bottom