What's new

My Grande Journey

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Not sure I want to go ATG on anymore growth though...

The longer I go between shaves the shorter my buffing strokes. AT ~56 hours my strokes are at most 3"s long and generally half that, so trying to work through almost twice that growth on a head shave might be asking a lot of any razor.

One quick WTG pass will get it to an easily manageable level.

Directly ATG at ~48 hours growth though is surprisingly easy with a rigid design and the right blade.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
riqyx.jpg

I've just had my most satisfying shave yet. If it gets better than this, I dont know how.

IMG_2808.JPG

Brit clone. Fresh Feather.

Pre de Provence 63.

Maggard synthetic.

I cant remember when I shaved last. Well over 50 hours ago.

N-S. S-N. ATG. One clean up.

I shook out my brush and started loading. This soap is different from others I've used. I usually go by my brush getting harder to move over the puck as it loads up with soap. That didnt happen with this soap.

I loaded about as long as I do Stirling soaps, which isnt long, 15-30 seconds max. Into my bowl to build the lather and it seemed very thin and I almost went back to the puck but I didnt. I just let it build, and build and build. It never got thick. I didnt add any more water. It never got heavy like Tabac or even Stirling can.

Lather up and the scent hit me literally in the face. Its a wonderful light yet deep and smoky scent. Even lathering my face it seemed thin, but it was glistening like no other soap I've used. In my bowl under the LED lights in my bathroom the lather was almost pearlescent as was the wet puck after I rinsed it.

This razor I quite like. Its always given me a very nice, close and comfortable shave, but it takes 3 full passes and clean ups.

This blade I havent really liked, until tonight.

Start N-S. Smooth, so smooth, and the slickness was surprising. No issues and a nice, close, supremely comfortable first pass.

S-N more of the same, with buffing ATG under and up my chin, both cheeks and sides of my mouth. This slickness was very telling while I was buffing.

ATG and more buffing, but not a lot needed really. More of the same. Wonderful scent, incredible slickness.

One light clean up at a downwards 45° over my swirls and done.

I have that "I dont feel like I've shaved" feeling. My skin has no warmth or redness. Its cool and supple and feels like I've had a good rub of CC balm, but I didnt even rinse my face. Just a quick wipe with a damp hand towel.

I dont know whether it was this razor that took the harshness out of these blades for me or the soap, but I felt none at all.

This soap is slicker than Tabac with a thin lather. Its slicker than my Stirlings. Its even slicker than my CC creams. One thing it is not, is thick and heavy. If you like a soap with loads of cushion, this isnt a soap that offers that.

If you find a thinner, extremely slick lather offers enough protection, as I do, this is damn good stuff.

I guess theres a reason its been a favorite of so many for so long. I wont be without my 63, ever.

On a side note, as I was shaving and reveling in the scent, it occurred to me that it smells similar to Proraso Red. When I finished shaving I popped the top on my Red and breathed both deeply a couple times. The Proraso Red smells nice, but its a heavy, thick, somewhat sharp scent. The PdP 63 I'm thinking of as also a Sandalwood type scent, but far lighter, deeper, smokier and much more refined. Its like the snooty French cousin to Proraso Red.

An hour later and I can still smell it. Life is good.

Last edited:
This soap is slicker than Tabac with a thin lather. Its slicker than my Stirlings. Its even slicker than my CC creams. One thing it is not, is thick and heavy. If you like a soap with loads of cushion, this isnt a soap that offers that.
Therefore, I had to purchase this! Here we go again.:001_rolle

I discovered that predeprovence.com only sell in the US. After giving up on it yesterday I did several searches for options today.
I ended up ordering from good ol' iHerb. The product plus shipping to the UK came to £11.68 ($15.19) along with a loyalty credit of 80p ($1.04) on my next purchase. That's nicely below the UK Customs Duty threshold of £15.

From your description I believe that I'm going to love PdP 63 Mike. Cheers! :001_smile

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Therefore, I had to purchase this! Here we go again.:001_rolle

I discovered that predeprovence.com only sell in the US. After giving up on it yesterday I did several searches for options today.
I ended up ordering from good ol' iHerb. The product plus shipping to the UK came to £11.68 ($15.19) along with a loyalty credit of 80p ($1.04) on my next purchase. That's nicely below the UK Customs Duty threshold of £15.

From your description I believe that I'm going to love PdP 63 Mike. Cheers! :001_smile

I read quite a bit about it before I ordered it. Those that like it, love it. Those that didnt mostly had lather issues. After using it I can see that. It seems difficult to load, and if you like a thick lather with a lot of cushion, it very well may be difficult to load and live with.

If on the other hand you like a thin extremely slick lather, that to me has a highly refined scent, you might find it a very good fit.

Its the only soap I have that I want to use. That says something.

Its not expensive, but it smells and feels expensive.

I'm very curious to read how you'll compare it to MdC Cal.

Ah. I see. I was referring to the nature of the shave and the lather, not to the particular soap. My mistake. It may happen . . .

The next time you happen to go past Pasteur's...

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Brit clone. Feather, flipped.

PdP 63.

Omega boar!

48 hours since last shave.

I'll keep the shave bit short.

Standard 3 pass, one clean up.

Spectacular.

Moving on to the boar brush.

I thought it only fair to try my others brushes with this soap too, but I might skip using my Silvertip with it.

This soap is hard, I think. I loaded my soaked Omega the same as I did the synthetic for the same amount of time. Then I went to my bowl and whipped, and whipped and whipped.....and whipped some more. WHY IS THE LATHER NOT BUILDING???

Back to the tub and loaded again the same amount of time, brush well splayed applying more pressure to the puck, then back to the bowl. Whipping, whipping, whipping. Growing old here... Then, finally, I had a bit of lather on the side of my bowl. I looked at my brush and it was well loaded with lather of what Jim might call "spackling" thickness. Far too dry.

I rinsed the puck and the "No.63" is still easily visible on it. Yep, its hard.

I wet my face and started lathering up. It was thick, far thicker than the last lather and still too dry, but I shaved first pass like that anyway. Slickness upon slickness. Nothing but slick and smooth. It looked too thick. It felt too thick but it shaved beautifully.

Finish that pass, wipe and wet my face again and really worked the brush this time using all the water on my face. Same thick viscosity, same superb slickness, very little cushion.

Third pass and more water again. Now I was where I was last shave as far as viscosity goes. Same incredible slickness, same lack of cushion.

Only on the clean up pass did it start thinning out, but it still had the same slickness. There was very little to nothing left in my brush when I rinsed it out.

I can see why people dont ....get what they might expect, from a lather standpoint using this soap. This soap does not expand or explode in heaping mounds of lather, but it doesnt need too. It easily creates enough lather to shave with, but its not going to be thick and heavy like Tabac or Stirling unless you make a drill attachment for your brush to load it.

It is however, far superior in slickness to any other soap I've used. I personally find that much slickness very protective. If a flock of Canada Geese lived on a rubber mat in the rain, that mat wouldnt have this much slickness.

I finished with a very close BBS and again, no redness or warmth to my skin and not once did I even feel the Feather blade using more pressure than I ever have with a Feather blade.

One other thing I noticed tonight. Either the scent, or my nose has changed. I didnt get the deep smoky Sandalwood type scent from it tonight. It's still mild and refined, but more lemony up front. I didnt honestly pay much attention to the scent, I was having too much fun shaving away like a lunatic in the slickest stuff on Earth, with a Feather blade.

A Feather blade. The blade I really dont like and find almost unbearably harsh. Three and a half passes, with buffing. Zero irritation.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm definitely looking forward to receiving my PdP 63. Thanks for the heads-up Mike. :thumbup1:

You're welcome Cal

I've only had two shaves with this soap but already I see and feel a difference in my skin.

24 hours after my first shave my skin still felt soft and supple as if I'd used a moisturizer, which I didnt. Again today after last nights shave my skin feels like that but I can also now see a difference.

My skin is smoother, clearer and looks better. I said right after my first shave with this soap my skin really likes it and its now obvious it does.

I'm still not sure how big a part a razor as mild and gentle as that Brit clone is plays in this, so for my next shave I'll use the R41 with a fresh Feather and find out.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
R41 - Fresh Feather.

PdP 63.

Maggard synthetic.

47 1/2 hours since last shave.

Standard three pass N-S, S-N, ATG. One clean up ATG.

The lil monster Maggard loaded up quickly. Like 15 seconds quickly.

Lather up and start N-S. Lots of blade feel, but no surprise there. Just slightly shallower than neutral, no issues, easy peasy. No harshness either.

Lather up again and S-N with some light buffing ATG under my jaw and sides of my mouth. No issues again. The one thing I did different was shave the fase of my chin L-R XTG. Its easier with this razor lacking support. Directly ATG there I'm pushing my luck on the second pass. I still felt no harshness.

Third pass buffing ATG along my jawline and lower. Up the face of my chin, sides of my mouth and along my upper lip. Easy, no issues, no harshness...

The clean up was done with simple strokes overlapping at 45° downwards towards my opposite chest. I had very slight redness after that but it was gone after I toweled off.

I'm left with a very nice BBS shave and no redness or warmth to my skin.

At no time during the shave did I feel the usual harshness I have with these blades over the last year. This was my third shave with this soap and Feather blades. I assumed if I'd feel any harshness I'd feel it using the R41, but the Feather felt more like a Nacet or Astra SP. Lots of blade feel, not as smooth as a Gillette 7 O'Clock blade but plenty smooth enough.

I have no idea whats in this soap that agrees with my skin so much, but it works whatever it is. The lather still didnt have what I'd call cushion, but its got slickness in spades.

Right now feeling my face, my skin feels like I've rubbed hand lotion into it. Smooth, soft, supple and again it seems clearer or something. I've never really had skin issues, but my skin looks healthier somehow.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Something's working right, Mike.

R41 Fanboy. FOAM'R.41.png

I can't get that soap right, but it sure sounds great for you. I mean here you are getting a really nice shave with a Feather blade and the R41. What't the world coming to?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
View attachment 902036

I've just had my most satisfying shave yet. If it gets better than this, I dont know how.

View attachment 902037

Brit clone. Fresh Feather.

Pre de Provence 63.

Maggard synthetic.

I cant remember when I shaved last. Well over 50 hours ago.

N-S. S-N. ATG. One clean up.

I shook out my brush and started loading. This soap is different from others I've used. I usually go by my brush getting harder to move over the puck as it loads up with soap. That didnt happen with this soap.

I loaded about as long as I do Stirling soaps, which isnt long, 15-30 seconds max. Into my bowl to build the lather and it seemed very thin and I almost went back to the puck but I didnt. I just let it build, and build and build. It never got thick. I didnt add any more water. It never got heavy like Tabac or even Stirling can.

Lather up and the scent hit me literally in the face. Its a wonderful light yet deep and smoky scent. Even lathering my face it seemed thin, but it was glistening like no other soap I've used. In my bowl under the LED lights in my bathroom the lather was almost pearlescent as was the wet puck after I rinsed it.

This razor I quite like. Its always given me a very nice, close and comfortable shave, but it takes 3 full passes and clean ups.

This blade I havent really liked, until tonight.

Start N-S. Smooth, so smooth, and the slickness was surprising. No issues and a nice, close, supremely comfortable first pass.

S-N more of the same, with buffing ATG under and up my chin, both cheeks and sides of my mouth. This slickness was very telling while I was buffing.

ATG and more buffing, but not a lot needed really. More of the same. Wonderful scent, incredible slickness.

One light clean up at a downwards 45° over my swirls and done.

I have that "I dont feel like I've shaved" feeling. My skin has no warmth or redness. Its cool and supple and feels like I've had a good rub of CC balm, but I didnt even rinse my face. Just a quick wipe with a damp hand towel.

I dont know whether it was this razor that took the harshness out of these blades for me or the soap, but I felt none at all.

If you find a thinner, extremely slick lather offers enough protection, as I do, this is damn good stuff.

I guess theres a reason its been a favorite of so many for so long. I wont be without my 63, ever.

On a side note, as I was shaving and reveling in the scent, it occurred to me that it smells similar to Proraso Red. When I finished shaving I popped the top on my Red and breathed both deeply a couple times. The Proraso Red smells nice, but its a heavy, thick, somewhat sharp scent. The PdP 63 I'm thinking of as also a Sandalwood type scent, but far lighter, deeper, smokier and much more refined. Its like the snooty French cousin to Proraso Red.

An hour later and I can still smell it. Life is good.
Mike, Your reviews of Pre de Provence 63 has inspired me. Maybe not in the way you are expecting here? You already know my love of all things Italian. I just ordered a puck of Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti. I've been wanting to try it for years. Perhaps, we could have a French vs. Italian shave off? I know SV is 10 dollars more, so already with PdP the French get points for price. The SV was $25.00 for 150 gm. Have you tried SV if so how do you find it compares (anybody)? I will have pictures and reviews. As of now I have Wickham 1912 on the way along with the SV. I can't wait to see how they compare. SV Dolomiti is my way of skirting around my MdC issue, hopefully, lol.

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Mike, Your reviews of Pre de Provence 63 has inspired me. Maybe not in the way you are expecting here? You already know my love of all things Italian. I just ordered a puck of Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti. I've been wanting to try it for years. Perhaps, we could have a French vs. Italian shave off? I know SV is 10 dollars more, so already with PdP the French get points for price. The SV was $25.00 for 150 gm. Have you tried SV if so how do you find it compares? I will have pictures and reviews. As of now I have Wickham 1912 on the way along with the SV. I can't wait to see how they compare. SV Dolomiti is my way of skirting around my MdC issue, hopefully, lol.

Sounds nice, Rave. I have two SV soaps but not the Dolomiti and am going to be interested in what you think about it. Also the 1912 of course. They're both very excellent soaps in my view of them.

Which 1912 do you have in transit? Almost all of their scents appeal to me, and most of their scent descriptions convey something to me (unlike many scent descriptions). I have Magnum and Cashmere and like both scents. Neither are the least bit unpleasant nor weird. Neither are too subtle. Both have scents I would guess are about the right strength for most guys.

To me, 1912 has the best residual slickness and glide. SV is no slouch in any department. Both are in my top tier which has only four soaps (and room for more).

Top Bottom