What's new

Retirement plans.

4YI, I went to part time for ten months, then left 1.5 years ago. Helped me ease out. It is a challenge to go from working to not working. Transition helps. I consult maybe an hour a week now, online.

The problem with the work week is there is just one Saturday. The problem with retirement is there are seven Saturdays each week and not always someone to play with.

The problem with the work week is there is just one Saturday. The problem with retirement is there are seven Saturdays each week and not always someone to play with.

I look at my watch NOT for the time of day but to know what day of the week it is, or what month it is.

I retired after a heart attack 6 years ago. Best thing that ever happened to me. I'd probably still be working otherwise. I yanked a 24' trailer all over northern Canada with my kids when they were growing up. I live on a lake in cottage country now, but I miss the trailer camping. So I bought one of these. This one is special for you, @BigFoot : (It's going on an older F250 Super Duty with an 8' box)
IMG_0046.JPG
The old girl was born in 1986 and always stored inside. I really bought it for my son. They were both born the same year. Yes, it really is called a Bigfoot.

Last edited:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I retired after a heart attack 6 years ago. Best thing that ever happened to me. I'd probably still be working otherwise. I yanked a 24' trailer all over northern Canada with my kids when they were growing up. I live on a lake in cottage country now, but I miss the trailer camping. So I bought one of these. This one is special for you, @BigFoot : (It's going on an older F250 Super Duty with an 8' box)
View attachment 891914
The old girl was born in 1986 and always stored inside. I really bought it for my son. They were both born the same year. Yes, it really is called a Bigfoot.

That is awesome.

Exciting to think about @BigFoot. I have plans with my wife to buy a little retirement house and a small travel trailer. Something a half ton can pull easily. We’re going south in the winter with it. I wish you good luck in your decisions.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I had an $6500 RV storage shed, complete with sliding door built next to my garage back in 2008. My 2 boys used it to tinker around on their cars when they were teenagers. Got my last kid, (daughter) college educated and out of the house 2 years ago, so that shed has just been sitting empty unused for a few years now.

Hopefully, me and the wife, should be retired in the next 5 years with two pensions, retirement investments and our life savings. Have about $60,000 socked away so far, for our future RV purchase. House is paid for and soon to be debt free, so we will keep the house as a base camp and am only looking to be out traveling 2-4 weeks at a time. I like the idea of the Airstream Touring Coaches. I think their being pulled by Mercedes engines?

Probably be pulling my Jeep behind it.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I pretty much decided the other day that I'll probably start drawing my retirement the first of next year. I really don't think I want to tow a trailer, and I really don't want to drive one of the monster motor homes, but I would like something that I could use to get away for a few days...or weeks.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Airstream Interstates are far too small inside for my tastes.

Yeah, and I would rather have something I can park and use the towing Silverado to run around in. And I have a very good locking bed cover on the truck for extra supplies.

I've looked at the tiny teardrop trailers, and the plans to make one, but I'd like to have something I could stand up in; the raising the "trunk lid" for your kitchen is not what I want, especially in a storm. Yes...I know...they make bigger teardrops. They would be easy to tow though.

I think I'd be better served with a 16-17 foot Casita or Scamp. Airstream prices are outrageous.

Since retirement income and time are looking like a bit around the corner, I've been thinking lately. But then when I was a kid we had an aluminum camper on Dad's pickup. But then you get back to the cooking outside...and no air conditioning or heat, and not much room. And I want a generator, stove, sink, toilet, etc.

I'm getting soft.

My neighbor had the upper model 17' Casita. It was a nice trailer. The drawback for me was the smaller holding tanks.

It is the same for the smaller Airstreams....I stepped up to a 25 ft Airstream. It has the same size tanks as their largest model. I appreciate the bigger tanks. We can shower daily and pretty much live a normal life for 5+ days without dumping the tanks or taking on water.

A lot depends on where you will stay.

We like state parks. Full amenities; showers, laundry with electric, water, and waste at the sites. Being state run they are fully staffed and clean. On week days they are ghost towns.

Many times we are the only campers in an entire section.

proxy.php

You don't need big tanks when you can use their amenities. Most are easily accessible to major roads.

Google (pick a state) and "state parks".

Avoid national holidays as they will be full.

Try a few near you to get a feel.

Yep, state parks are often nice and usually empty during the week. Same for National Forest campgrounds. The problem is if you are touring, they are often times booked full on the weekends.....I just made reservations for a trip to a SP next June. They were almost booked.

I bought my trailer with the idea of not having to rely on campground amenities in mind. Several of our trips each year are to places that offer no water or sewer and sometimes no electricity.

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I was poking around and saw that an RV place about 30 miles from here has a 2012 Mountain View 140. From what little I could find out I "think" it's a 15 foot. I may run by there next week and take a look. They have it for $6,500 but NADA lists it as being worth $6,200.

2012 Mountain View 140

I had an $6500 RV storage shed, complete with sliding door built next to my garage back in 2008. My 2 boys used it to tinker around on their cars when they were teenagers. Got my last kid, (daughter) college educated and out of the house 2 years ago, so that shed has just been sitting empty unused for a few years now.

Hopefully, me and the wife, should be retired in the next 5 years with two pensions, retirement investments and our life savings. Have about $60,000 socked away so far, for our future RV purchase. House is paid for and soon to be debt free, so we will keep the house as a base camp and am only looking to be out traveling 2-4 weeks at a time. I like the idea of the Airstream Touring Coaches. I think their being pulled by Mercedes engines?

Probably be pulling my Jeep behind it.
Well done Oki. If I do half as well when I get there I'll be a happy man.. JM

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
This is the one I think is my perfect retirement camper.

2017 White Hawk 23MRB | Jayco, Inc.

Since it will be 10-15 more years till I have to buy it I should not have trouble finding used ones! Ha

That looks like a nice one. But I think that double axle is a bit big for what I want. And I definitely don't want a 5th wheel...then I'd have to buy a bigger truck.

I'm not even really sure I want one. I'd hate to spend $30,000 to $60,000 on something that would sit 90% of the time. But with the restrictions they have on hotel/motel rooms and cabins now I'd really rather take my room with me.

I may spring for a 6-7 thousand dollar one though just to get my feet wet.

OkieStubble

I bought my trailer with the idea of not having to rely on campground amenities in mind. Several of our trips each year are to places that offer no water or sewer and sometimes no electricity.

+1 I want to be able to sleep over in Walmart parking lots from sea to shining sea... :)

Am I the only one here, who has heard the rumor about Walmart and Sam's Club, possibly adding a dump station in their back parking area's for overnighter's?

OkieStubble

I was poking around and saw that an RV place about 30 miles from here has a 2012 Mountain View 140. From what little I could find out I "think" it's a 15 foot. I may run by there next week and take a look. They have it for $6,500 but NADA lists it as being worth $6,200.

2012 Mountain View 140

That's actually pretty cool for it's size. Kind of reminds me of the Airstream Nest. Which is one of Airstream's more affordable campers.
Nest | Travel Trailer | Airstream

I'm with you, not looking for a 5th wheel, but I do want something a littler bigger and more modern and driveable like a Class B.
Atlas 2018 | Airstream

Probably just a pipe dream for me also, with it's $200,000 starting price. But when I am ready in 5 years to start looking for an RV, surely there will be a used Repo out there somewhere around $80k??? :)

OkieStubble

Well done Oki. If I do half as well when I get there I'll be a happy man.. JM

Thanks dude. I kinda just raised my retirement portfolio like I did my kids. Someone awhile ago asked me, "how in the world, did you raise 6 kids?" I told them, "I dunno, I just pointed them to the fridge and they lived." ;)

Last edited:
That looks like a nice one. But I think that double axle is a bit big for what I want. And I definitely don't want a 5th wheel...then I'd have to buy a bigger truck.

I'm not even really sure I want one. I'd hate to spend $30,000 to $60,000 on something that would sit 90% of the time. But with the restrictions they have on hotel/motel rooms and cabins now I'd really rather take my room with me.

I may spring for a 6-7 thousand dollar one though just to get my feet wet.
Buying a bigger truck than my usual half ton is a deal breaker for me too. For 6-7 thousand you can surely find a nice used single axle camper.

It’s hard to find a small camper with a comfortable bed for long term use though. Keep that in mind. Our pop up has great mattresses and I love it for our long weekend trips, but it’s a chore to set it up for just one night. I don’t see myself traveling in retirement with one.

Top Bottom