What's new

On average how many second do you spend loading your brush?

I’m sure this has been asked before, but I’d be very interested to hear everyone’s experience .

I ask because I think I load my brush for too long. For example, this morning I shaved with Opuntia from Saponificio Varesino. I loaded for 35 seconds and thought that would be sufficient. I added a ton of water to the soap and my first pass was not very slick. My second pass was better and finally, the third pass was exceptional. I can’t seem to add enough water to the first and second passes to get the slickness I want. I’m thinking I should just load for maybe 20 seconds and that might improve passes 1 and 2.

Any thoughts?

Normally 10-20 seconds; I normally use a RR Big Bruce.

I face lather, so I’m always aware of my soap’s level of slickness, before the razor is ever laid to skin. If I feel I need a bit more water the next pass, usually a simple wet hand wipe of the face is enough followed by applying lather.

First of all it will depend on the water conditions where you live or are visiting. To answer your question for my situation I do the following:

1. Williams, 40 seconds with a damp boar brush.
2. Proraso and similar soaps, 60 seconds with a wet brush.

For me, it depends on the brush. For brushes with larger knots (26mm and over), 10 seconds. For smaller knots depending on the size from 15 to 20 seconds.

Another factor other than brush size soap, is how fast you twirl the brush.

Lately it’s been Barrister’s Reserve soap and a synthetic brush- so 5 seconds? Maybe 10.

If I’m using a silvertip brush and a triple milled soap- 45 seconds or a minute.

It is all about water to soap ratio and comes down to practice.

I used SV Opuntia last night!

I put a thin coat of hot water on the puck before my shower. With a squeezed Simfix SF1 Synthetic (25mm), I loaded for about 15 seconds then took it to a bowl and added water as needed. It was plenty of soap for 3 or more passes.

Average about 15 - 20 seconds. Sometimes I will use the "Marco Method". It that case I start with very wet brush and load for 45 seconds.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I face lather, so I’m always aware of my soap’s level of slickness, before the razor is ever laid to skin.

^This is a good point.

I face lather as well and only "load" my brush on the puck. About 5-10seconds for most soaps and slightly longer for harder/milled soaps. I then build the lather/adjust water on my face.

15 seconds with Mitchell's wool fat and that gives 4 latherings / passes. Now that is with hard water so I imagine soft water takes less load time.
I usually use creams but just had to try the wool fat.

Shortest is Arko -5 sec. Proraso 10 sec, longest is Williams 15 sec. (all approx)
I load until it feels/looks right. Never thought about the time.
Edit: I have soft water. Any soap lathers like crazy.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I face lather so I load the brush for about 15 to 20 seconds and then hit the face, reloading the brush if necessary.

Top Bottom