What's new

On average how many second do you spend loading your brush?

Depends on the soap, I load longer than most because I tend to puck lather first before going to my face. If you have having trouble with getting enough water the first pace on a face lather there are a few things you can do. I had that problem too but found that you can over coming this by making a few small changes. First, use a wetter brush for the load. With a synthetic this is a bit different since they don't tend to hold water as well as natural fibres so they can end up dumping too much water on the soap at once. In this case you can just add a few drops directly on the soap as you load. If you are using a soap that doesn't like a lot of water at once, like RR soaps, then start dryer and add a few drops to the puck as you go. Second, make sure you face is wet or add a few drops of water to the brush before you begin. Again, some soaps will break if you add too much water to start so you have to know your soap. Third, add water slowly and as you build the lather you'll want to occasionally bring much of the soap back into the brush by splaying it and picking up the soap. This will allow a better hydration especially for soap next to the skin. Third, make sure the later is as wet as you need before you start, you might have to test the lather on your face with a finger but make sure it's well hydrated.

Alternatively, palm lathering is really good for knowing the hydration levels at all times so you might want to learn this technique as well.

Usually about 30 seconds for me. Sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more, depending on the soap.

With a damp and shaken brush:
Soft soap/croap 10 seconds for each pass desired, 3 pass shave 30 sec.
Hard or triple milled 15-20 seconds for each pass desired, 3 pass shave 45-60 seconds

I load for about 30 seconds but Im a chronic overloader. I could probably get by with 15 seconds or less and still have plenty of soap. Ive read that all you really want to do is load the brush until the tips of the brush are white.

i load about 15-20 seconds but I rely more on how much soap is loaded on the brush rather than on how long. I use synthetic mostly.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
It depends on a few factors:
1. The soap (duh)
2. The brush
3. How much water is left in the brush
4. The quality of water could also be a factor (although I don't have any experience with hard water)

I usually use an SOC boar or the Thater boar - which load about the same.

With MdC and a full jar - 10 seconds or less. The bottom half of the jar tends to compress the size of the brush a bit and I add a few more seconds.

Wholly Kaw - about 15 seconds.

On vacation with Haslinger's and a slightly smaller synthetic brush it takes longer.

I think the amount of water left in the brush can make a big difference. If you're using a fairly dry brush it is going to take a while.

I usually load it for about 40 seconds. But then again I shave my legs and those require more lather.
If it's too dry, I add a bit of extra water.

I'm on well water, face lather and like my brush overloaded. I also start with a shaken out brush because a drier lather works better for me. If the lather is too dry during loading, I dribble a few drops of water on the soap rather than add water to the brush. I load anywhere from 60 swirls with a soft soap using a synthetic or 22mm badger to 100 swirls on a hard soap with a 26mm badger. I don't know what it is in seconds, maybe 20-30. It's nice when I travel because just about anywhere I go, the water is softer and I can drastically cut my load time.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Usually around five seconds, maybe a little more, maybe a little less, depending what I'm using. I have no qualms about going back to the puck again later if I need to.

I've never timed it, and the flippant answer is "until I'm done loading." But I would definitely say it's under a minute. And the time fluctuates with the kind of soap and brush I use.

Here in Louisiana we have soft water, so lathering is pretty easy. Proraso white (my standard) takes about 20 secs or so.

I've been running through the TOBS sample pack and those lather much more quickly. A few months ago I tried samples (from Superior shave) of Sampson all natural and Hitton and both (especially Sampsons) lathered almost instantly.

Top Bottom