What's new

BBQ smoking

Hey all! It's been a very long time since I posted but I wanted to let you all know that I just got my first BBQ smoker. An 18.5 inch Weber smokey mountain smoker. I'm looking forward to trying it out and wanted to see if you all had ideas for first cooks.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Hey all! It's been a very long time since I posted but I wanted to let you all know that I just got my first BBQ smoker. An 18.5 inch Weber smokey mountain smoker. I'm looking forward to trying it out and wanted to see if you all had ideas for first cooks.

Welcome to Mess Hall oso. My idea for you would be to start off with some ribs, mainly because I'm hungry for them.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
+1 on starting with ribs. Once you got that down pat you may be ready for some brisket, which is not hard, but a bit more challenging.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I would vote for pork butt. It is a forgiving piece of meat while you are learning how to use your new grill.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Congrats on the new smoker. Ribs sounds like a good start. I would throw some sausages on there as well.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I agree on ribs.

And ribs.

Oh, did I mention ribs?

Along with Chris' good suggestion of sausage...you may try getting a 5 lb. chub of bologna, cut it up in about thirds, take the casing off and put it on for a couple of hours or so. Should be good and smoked before the ribs are. Good stuff.

I find that I smoke fish more often than pork.

Get a whole salmon and fillet it or smoke it whole.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Ribs are good to start with because they are relatively quick. Pork butt is good to start with because it's darn near foolproof. Chicken is good, too, since it's also fairly quick and cheap.

Look into the Minion Method when it comes to doing the long, low and slow cooks.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
+1 on starting with ribs. Once you got that down pat you may be ready for some brisket, which is not hard, but a bit more challenging.
nortac:
proxy.php
...another vote for Pork Ribs first, then Brisket. :thumbsup:

bbq-2-jpg.795653
"Always do barbecue right; this will gratify some people [and—well], astonish the rest". Mark Twain

Glad to find this. I just placed an order through my work for a Traeger Tailgater. Got a great deal or would not have ordered. Expect to have in a couple of weeks or so. I haven't used even a dinky hibachi style grill in years, so this is a huge step.

So I broke it in!! Two racks of St Louis style ribs on for about 5.5 hours. Some mesquite in the smoke gave them a nice spiced flavor. Very happy with the results and looking forward to trying more!!!
proxy.php
proxy.php

So I wanted to update you all on smoke #2 on my wsm. I'm in the middle of smoking a big pork shoulder and it looks and smells great! Looking forward to pulling this apart tonight!!! It has been on since 7am and I'll pull it off around 6 tonight.
proxy.php

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
So I wanted to update you all on smoke #2 on my wsm. I'm in the middle of smoking a big pork shoulder and it looks and smells great! Looking forward to pulling this apart tonight!!! It has been on since 7am and I'll pull it off around 6 tonight.
proxy.php

With some homemade cole slaw and fresh buns, you can't beat a good pulled pork sandwich.

Top Bottom