What's new

Need help identifying travel razor

I recently acquired a neat little travel razor on ebay with its own case. The description of the item was that it was made by a company called Koenig in Germany. The razor disassembles into 4 pieces and stores in a metal box not much larger than a matchbox. The underside of the open comb says "KOENIG GERMANY". Small lettering near the hinge of the box says "Made in Germany".

I looked around the web for more information on this razor but turned up totally empty. I don't know the age of it, but it came loaded with an old Schick blade. Overall the razor is in good shape except some sand-grain sized bits on the top of the head where the plating is corroded. It's so light that you wouldn't notice it without runing a finger across.

I've attached a couple of pics from the ebay listing as I'm still learning how to use my wife's new SLR camera. Not a bad find for $5.75! :biggrin:

Any idea what I've just bought?

My limited information has the Koenig brand razor being manufactured starting in 1920 in Germany. And my information also mentions that the manufacturer may have actually been Gillette! I'm including a shot of one with a slightly different handle design.

proxy.php

Maybe Tom can chime in with Waits' info, if any exists.

Guido, you already have more than Waits has on this razor. Waits has the exact same picture that you posted. (Same wear patterns on the fabric on the inside of the lid.) Beyond that, it only says, "Koenig - - - Mfr. unidentified. Germany. Gillette type, comb guard, 2-stud cap, two-piece telescoping handle. In 1-3/4 square x 5/8 inch thick metal case."

I find nothing at all in my other references.

Regards,
Tom

Here's another with what looks like the same handle as in the original post. It is listed as a Fraenkel with no info on manufacturer or date.

proxy.php

These do lead credence to a theory that they were being produced by a common manufacturer under differing brand names. Gillette could have very well been behind both of them.

Although, here is a slant version branded as Weserhutte. All of these are identified as being from Germany. Now I'm beginning to thing that some other manufacturer could be behind them, or that they copied the styling. Note the handle design.

proxy.php

It also appears to be very similar to the Hoffritz's from the 1950's. That would also explain the slant version I posted earlier.

Manufacturer: Hoffritz, Inc. 19 W. 34th St., New York City. Items made in Solingen, Germany

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Other brands found but I'm not including pictures are Lessmann, Merit, Robhoppe, Wild, Wotco, amefa, Loew, Enn Werke, Hinne, Jeresco, Hanott, PF, Moldenhauer, Zorro, Luxus, Menalsco, Morehouse, Liebler, Befa, SWB and Solters.

:eek:

All of which had almost identical sets. And yes, I am sick. I just went through 391 German razor brands. :tongue_sm

I'm not worthy! :ouch1:

Seriously, that was way more info that I expected to get about this obscure little razor. You're the man! :)

I'm not worthy! :ouch1:

Seriously, that was way more info that I expected to get about this obscure little razor. You're the man! :)

:lol:

You have just witnessed my obsession. Seriously, though, I have seen several Hoffritz sets, but have never seen any of the others and never knew they existed until you brought yours up. It now seems likely that Hoffritz was probably behind the manufacture of all of them.

I just bought a razor of the same variety and the head says Gillette and Made in USA. The case says HPW Made in Germany. I just got it, so I don't know if the head is the original one, but it fits perfectly in the case

If all, or most, of these look alike razors were produced by the same company, could it have been Merkur? The Merkur travel razors being sold on e-bay look an awful lot like these.

Top Bottom