What's new

Straight Razor Identification...

Hello,

I have a really nice razor and box. The Razor is stamped "Munhar" and says "Best Sheffield Steel" on the backside of the tang. The box reads Extra Qualitat above and below the "Munhar" name, which is framed in diamond shape. The box also says "Hamidani Bombay 2" with "Made in Germany printed below it. On the top edge of the box lid it says 111, which is the number of the razor, also found on the tang.

Here's a photo of the razor and the box:

Munhar_01.jpg

The razor is a 7/8" and is very nice, no vertical stabilizers, it has a "long cut" shoulder, which are a dream to hone. I'm trying to find out which cutlery house made the razor and so far I've come up short. The razor is really nice, good steel, solid design, etc.

Any help in identifying the razor would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

-gray.

Nice looking razor!

I searched my list of Solingen brands and found nothing useful.

It was quite common for German makers to combine the first letters of two partner's names to make a brand name. Like Dorp & Voos > Dovo.

So somebody Mun... and somebody Har...

German razor maker names beginning with Har seem common. I didn't find a Solingen last name beginning Mun.

A re-scaled Munhar 111 currently on auction is described as a Solingen razor.

Nice looking razor!

I searched my list of Solingen brands and found nothing useful.

It was quite common for German makers to combine the first letters of two partner's names to make a brand name. Like Dorp & Voos > Dovo.

So somebody Mun... and somebody Har...

German razor maker names beginning with Har seem common. I didn't find a Solingen last name beginning Mun.

A re-scaled Munhar 111 currently on auction is described as a Solingen razor.
I appreciate the information. The re-scaled razor is my razor. Those scales were dry-rotted unfortunately, it was a shame to lose them. I think the new scales do the razor justice though, even if the colors aren't tradition. Whoever made this razor did a fine job, wish I could keep it.

I agree with you on the new scales. They are in keeping with the originals you show here. It looks like you do a great job restoring razors. You also write a well-spoken and informative listing.

Good luck with your sale. A clean lined German 7/8 should attract some interest. Whoever buys the Munhar will have something unique, whether it is a well-known maker or not. I am surprised not to see the coffin in the listing and photos. I would expect that to boost the bidding. Or did I miss it?

Thank you, you're very kind.

You know what, I forgot to add that it comes with the box, which is in good condition. The box will be shipping with the razor. Regardless, whoever wins it will be happy to see it when they open up their package. I have an Engels Lafayette and a C-MON, both come with the original boxes/coffins and they're in good shape. I've been debating adding a box photo, as it takes up a spot to show off the razor. Maybe a shot of both in one pic would be the way to go?

I usually try to stick to the original scale shape if I need to replace scales, but sometimes I do my own thing.

Top Bottom