What's new

Bay Rum alternative

I recently finished my bottle of Stirling Bay Rum and thought I would try to find an alternative to it to use on occasion and thought from all Bay Rum descriptions I've read in the forum here that Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum was the answer... Although it does have a good scent to it, it just doesn't hit me like the Stirling did. Are there any other Stirling fans out there that has found something that is "VERY" close to it?

Oops, sorry worng thread, I was reading a different thread looking for cheapest priced Bay Rum. I cant really comment because have not used it myself

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Also available in a smaller size. Link. I might look for it at Sally's or my other local beauty supply store. The reviews on Amazon are pretty good.

I like the Pinaud Clubman bay rum okay, and use it, but it does not smell or feel like the Stirling bay rum. I love the Stirling bay rum aftershave and also the balm.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Just don’t get masters unless you wanna bring back childhood night terrors of the dentist office. I sprinkle that stuff around my foundation to keep the vermin away.

Yes, not in scent as much as performance. Both very nice. Scent will be tough to match.
Thanks... I was afraid that Rod's scent would be very distinct from others but just thought since I hadn't really seen any reviews out there that talk about similarities, that there probably isn't one and I should probably just order more from Stirling. I don't think that the Clubman VIBR is going to work out that well for me as I wasn't much impressed after using it yesterday morning. The scent didn't last very long at all and wasn't, to me, as spicy scented as the Stirling. Maybe I will pick up some Master's and Superior to make some Bootlegger's but it seems like an awful lot to just give it a try though... I'll have to think about it...

I have not tried Stirling's Bay Rum. I do know that PAA's Atomic Age Bay Rum has great performance, and I could call it spicy. I also have Clubman VIBR. PAA's is much spicier.

Good luck with whatever route you go!

Thanks... I was afraid that Rod's scent would be very distinct from others but just thought since I hadn't really seen any reviews out there that talk about similarities, that there probably isn't one and I should probably just order more from Stirling. I don't think that the Clubman VIBR is going to work out that well for me as I wasn't much impressed after using it yesterday morning. The scent didn't last very long at all and wasn't, to me, as spicy scented as the Stirling. Maybe I will pick up some Master's and Superior to make some Bootlegger's but it seems like an awful lot to just give it a try though... I'll have to think about it...
There are quite a few bay rums out there. I suggest you look at some samples. Several of the folks who make the bay rums will sell samples and Maggard‘s does a nice job with samples. I wouldn’t go buying expensive bay rums until you try them.

I will look into samples that are out there. I have already looked into who sells samples and who doesn't. I will say that while cooking dinner tonight I had to put some bay leaves into what I was cooking which got me to thinking to compare the scent of the leaves to the Pinaud VIBR I just received and it is my opinion that is has a much more forward Bay leaf scent than Stirling's which is very much Clove, Cinnamon, and other spice based... I'm not really a fan of the Bay leaf forward scent. I will also add that when I used it yesterday I expected it to be much warmer than what it was from what I've seen posted prior to getting it. It was no different than any other alcohol based AS that I've tried. The Stirling, if you don't shake it up, will be very warm when it hits your face, but VIBR was almost no heat at all...

Heads up to @OkieStubble as he has offered up a sample of Bootleggers for me to try. Stand up right there... Thanks...

I will look into samples that are out there. I have already looked into who sells samples and who doesn't. I will say that while cooking dinner tonight I had to put some bay leaves into what I was cooking which got me to thinking to compare the scent of the leaves to the Pinaud VIBR I just received and it is my opinion that is has a much more forward Bay leaf scent than Stirling's which is very much Clove, Cinnamon, and other spice based... I'm not really a fan of the Bay leaf forward scent. I will also add that when I used it yesterday I expected it to be much warmer than what it was from what I've seen posted prior to getting it. It was no different than any other alcohol based AS that I've tried. The Stirling, if you don't shake it up, will be very warm when it hits your face, but VIBR was almost no heat at all...

Heads up to @OkieStubble as he has offered up a sample of Bootleggers for me to try. Stand up right there... Thanks...
He’s a master of the mix! You are in for a treat!

Try my "Tribute to Bay Rum". 4 Parts Superior 70 BR (really inexpensive) and 1 part Vintage Avon Tribute (easy to find on ebay and the like). Nice clean bay scent, with a touch of citrus. Lasts about 30-45 minutes on my skin, not offensive to others.
I mixed up an 8 ounce batch and store it in an old Avon Bay Rum jug bottle. If I need to freshen up I can slap some more on.

I've had a couple more shaves that were topped off with the VIBR and would say at this time it just won't be used much in my rotation as I am extremely disappointed in the scent overall. Its just too bay leaf forward and the scent is gone in 10-15 minutes... I was really hoping for what has been described by most as very clovey scented which I get none of and it having that burning effect when its applied. I have had zero burn from this, in fact I think my Proraso green has more burn to it over this!! Not that that is a bad thing at all but almost every AS I have used has had it.

I am still waiting for the Bootlegger's sample to get to me but I think this bottle will be either PIF'd or listed in the BST for trade or sale... It's just that disappointing... I do love me Clubman Original though. I used it the other day and the scent lasted a good 24hrs and smelled exactly like the barber shop I went to when I was younger.

Top Bottom