What's new

Merkur 37C vs Hoffritz Slant vs RR German 37

All 3 razors have visually the same heads. I used all of them but not at the the same time. By memory they work equally, but I'm not sure.

Anybody can compare?

The Merkur 37 and the Hoffritz are the same razor under different brands (both made by Merkur). The RR 37 is the closest copy of the Merkur head that I have ever come across. Many other manufacturers have copied the Merkur 37 head design with some success, but the RR version is the closest to the real thing.

Ok, what about antique Merkur and modern? I've read that the newest version is milder than previous.
I own a 39c, but it is new. I have never owned or shaved with a vintage Merkur 37, Hoffritz, or Pomco, or others. I heard from some that there were slight modifications in the design of the heads over time, but I don't know for sure.

I have a lot of experience with the modern (more mild) version of the merkur 37c as well as the RR German 37. They are not exactly the same in terms of head geometry and final shave. The actual merkur is noticeably more mild but the RR isn't more aggressive as much as it is more efficient. I've never held the old version of the merkur 37c but can for sure tell you, based off of pics, that the RR German 37 looks like the old merkur 37 and not the "new" one.

Read the first post in this thread and look at the pictures:
An updated 37C?
This post proves that there is in fact a difference between the "old" and "new" merkur 37 models and the rest German 37 head looks exactly like the "old" merkur 37.

"New" merkur on the left, "old" merkur on the right:
349669-1fb0ff91a97896675949f33766d2386a.jpg

RR German 37:
RazoRock-37-HEAD-5.jpg

No experience with hoffritz though I've heard they perform just like the "old" merkur 37

The Hoffritz (and Coles and Pomco and Luna and Brumml and ...) are like old (older) Merkur. They were, after all, produced in the days Merkur still made their older heads.

It should be a pretty easy decision:

If you are a collector then seek the one/s that you need to finish your collection.

If you are looking for a specific type of shave follow the suggestions above. Mild razor= current merkur, more aggressive/efficient razor= RR German 37.

You can try to find the prior version of the merkur but that and the RR are both zamak so would you rather pay $20 for a new zamak razor or $50+ for an old used zamak razor? Also... The RR comes with a really nice cnc machined stainless steel handle that also fits most other modern heads.

Supposedly, the vintage Hoffritz is built to better quality than the 37C. I cant comment on the RR, however. I recently scored a vintage Hoffritz on Ebay and am looking foreward to trying it out.

Speaking of which, I just saw a hoffritz slant w/ case and banks in very nice shape. Too bad I don't have $85. Someone will be very happy if they look around a bit..

Vintage Hoffritz and vintage Merkur are the same razor.
FWIW I didn't find my Hoffritz slant to have exceptional build quality or finish. In particular, I've seen a lot of examples and the finish on the handle does not hold up all that well.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

While I don't have a Hoffritz, I have a few versions of the Merkur 37 and the German 37.

Pasting a photo of side by side of the heads, if it helps to decipher head differences

Left to right

Merkur 37G - pre 2015
Merkur 37C - 2016
Merkur 39C - 2017
RR German 37
proxy.php

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

While I don't have a Hoffritz, I have a few versions of the Merkur 37 and the German 37.

Pasting a photo of side by side of the heads, if it helps to decipher head differences

Left to right

Merkur 37G - pre 2015
Merkur 37C - 2016
Merkur 39C - 2017
RR German 37
proxy.php

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Nice pic, thanks! If you could post a side by side profile shot of each one with a blade loaded that would be very helpful to many around. It would help to show the minor gap, exposure, and head geometry differences.

Top Bottom