What's new

DR Harris review - Windsor scent

So I have tried a lot of soaps, as in virtually everything readily available. My favorites have changed drastically as I was exposed to different soaps, artisans and old standbys. One old standby I never tried was DR Harris. An opportunity came up to trade for a puck of Windsor so I made the trade.

The review:
I've always read good things about DR Harris so I had high hopes. The puck arrived and as with any new soap I do about 3 or 4 test lathers. I was surprised to see how much work was required to get a finished lather from this soap. The lather was ok, it wasn't overly dense nor was it overly light. Head to head I would give the nod to Valobra over any of the European hard pucks with the exception of Saponificio Varesino who stands heads above the rest.

Anyway, back on track, I shaved with it for the first time this morning. The scent is very nice, smells like Terre d'Hermes, could this possibly unseat my beloved L&L Trismegistus? So after several test lathers and having an idea of what to expect I loaded up my B3 Declaration for 45 sec. Went to my Symmetrical Pottery Dottie lather bowl and started. It behaved as expected from my tests, it took a long time to build into a servicable lather (no it's not my water).

1st pass was ok, slickness was average. I figured out quickly blade buffing was not going to be an option - residual slickness was average. Cushion was a tick above average, I had no irritation. 2nd pass went off without a hitch, much of the same. I did add a tiny bit of water to see if that would help, it didn't.

On to the head shave, at this point I noticed the lather was starting to thin out which is not a good sign. I applied the lather to my melon and it was very draggy. The lather had almost completely dried. Frustrated I rinsed my brush and bowl, loaded up some Boellis for 20 seconds and was rewarded with mounds of lather to finish my head shave. Finished up, cleaned up and there was a very noticable tightness difference between my head and face. I used Pitralon Polar after shave which is one of the best and that didn't even help my very dry feeling face - shave with Windsor only

Final thoughts:
I really wanted to like this soap, but in the vast number of soaps I've used - to ME - it is unusable. For average slickness, ok cushion, average residual slickness and poor post shave I couldn't justify spending money on it. The lone redeeming quality is the scent but with identical scents from far better soaps it diminishes the appeal more. Try Trimegistus if you want Terre d'Hermes scent, Arlington smells like Acqua di Parma - I suggest trying Stirling Piacenza, Marlborough has a strong sandalwood note - I would suggest Sudsy Soapery Sandalwood & Myrrh for better performance. All of these are the same price (or less) as a refill puck but granted won't last as long but I don't care about that. I need my shaves to not suck

This soap vs other European pucks I eluded to earlier, spend the extra couple bucks and get some Saponificio Varesino or Valobra. The only knock on Valobra is the scents available, C&S 88 and O&C are made by Valobra as is the old AoS Sandalwood soaps.

Our feelings towards a soaps performance is relative to a certain degree. If you switch from Col Conk or TOBS to this stuff it will seem like the greatest thing since sliced bread. But imo, DR Harris is just not in the same league as Stirling, Declaration Grooming, Wholly Kaw, Sudsy Soapery or many of the other artisans these days. Even what I consider average artisan soaps gave me a better shaving experience but to keep it fair and in the same realm - old standby's like SV, Valobra and even Tabac performed vastly better. YMMV as always but my Windsor puck hit the trash and I'm wishing I had the aftershave back I traded for it

Sir DEdestroyer, Great, detailed, elaborate review. May I please ask which aftershave you traded it with, maybe I have that in my arsenal for reversing the trade. You didn't trash the soap, did you? Notwithstanding YMMV, it is considered one of the best british soaps as far as I've heard / read.

Can't argue with your results. I will say I get slightly better results from the shave stick. But it still doesn't beat my favorite artisan soaps.

Sir DEdestroyer, Great, detailed, elaborate review. May I please ask which aftershave you traded it with, maybe I have that in my arsenal for reversing the trade. You didn't trash the soap, did you? Notwithstanding YMMV, it is considered one of the best british soaps as far as I've heard / read.
Yes I was pretty disgusted and it hit the trash. I traded an extra Storybook Soapworks Visions & Revisions aftershave I had

OUTSTANDING REVIEW! You are comparing Harris to some of the very best soaps available IMO.

The newly formulated DRH pucks are excellent; lather is slick, stable and protective, ime.
Personal faves: Arlington and Almond. YMMV.

OUTSTANDING REVIEW! You are comparing Harris to some of the very best soaps available IMO.
Somewhat true, I could still list atleast 20 or more soaps that are substantially better though. All the glowing reviews and mentions I've read about Harris I was certainly expecting better. Something on par with Valobra maybe, not what I got

I have Windsor and think it's the best smelling dr Harris soap....I like it but I haven't reached for it in several months.

A few others are higher up on my list (mdc citrus, AOS sandalwood, haslinger sheep)...just to name a few I reach for more often.

Maybe tonight I will make it a Windsor shave due to this thread .

Triple milled soaps generally require a slightly different technique to get the lather fully ready, finished to the softer artisan soaps.

Probably doesn't help now since the puck has been trashed.

Personally, DRHarris is a soap that stands above most artisan soaps in my rotation.

Triple milled soaps generally require a slightly different technique to get the lather fully ready, finished to the softer artisan soaps.

Probably doesn't help now since the puck has been trashed.

Personally, DRHarris is a soap that stands above most artisan soaps in my rotation.
I disagree, I use SV and Musgo Real classic pucks regularly both of which are triple milled. Both require little effort. While I don't currently own any I have plenty experience with Valobra and Tabac also triple milled. DRH is just poor soap and on the European scrap heap with GFT and Penhaligon's. I have had the pleasure of using vintage tallow Pen's and it's a crying shame what they did to that soap. But as I said in my review YMMV as always.

Interesting review. Thanks!

I’m happy with my Sandalwood pick from them. I get a great scent and lather out of it consistently for both my SR and DE shaves. I also use the leftover lather for my final cold rinse...wonderful!

Sorry you did not get good results for your liking!

Somewhat true, I could still list atleast 20 or more soaps that are substantially better though. All the glowing reviews and mentions I've read about Harris I was certainly expecting better. Something on par with Valobra maybe, not what I got

Absolutely! There are so many terrific soaps. I would add Haslinger's and MWF to the top tier. YMMV for sure!

I disagree, I use SV and Musgo Real classic pucks regularly both of which are triple milled. Both require little effort. While I don't currently own any I have plenty experience with Valobra and Tabac also triple milled. DRH is just poor soap and on the European scrap heap with GFT and Penhaligon's. I have had the pleasure of using vintage tallow Pen's and it's a crying shame what they did to that soap. But as I said in my review YMMV as always.

Well, since you stated YMMV, your disagreement is kinda redundant :)

I have all the ones you've mentioned plus a heap more as I prefer milled pucks.

SV is my best performing (I've got 4 of them) but I find DRHarris better than the others you mentioned.

Tabac rocks but unfortunately the scent gives me migraines. I love the performance and adore that scent!

The tallow pens, tallow GFT/veggie potassium first GFT and tallow C&E etc were all fantastic soaps and not many soaps can compete with those.

What I was saying was I disagree when you said triple milled soaps need different technique to get ready. I use no different process when using my triple milled pucks

Wow. 5 posts in a single day that all were written to trash a soap you didn't care for? Really? Things a little slow in your part of the world?

Wow. 5 posts in a single day that all were written to trash a soap you didn't care for? Really? Things a little slow in your part of the world?
It was a review and the following is called a conversation. I didn't trash it I said it was average and theres better options. Reviews are how we get get a feel for something if we never tried it before, kinda how it works. If you have nothing intelligent to add to the conversation other than smart remarks then keep moving on. You felt the need to comment about my comments, things a little slow in your part of the world today?

Top Bottom