What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Raven Koenes

My precious!
This morning I got a pretty good shave. Going into it I had the slightest amount of itching in one small area of my lower middle neck (my most sensitive area).

Homemade shaving oil
SE1
Proline
Wickham 1912 Cashmere
Stirling Marble
Witch hazel
Avon Brisk Spice
Cremo

View attachment 851066

Wickham 1912 is a very, very good shaving soap. It is close to SV in performance.

My usual two and three pass shave, face, neck. Simple.

Effective enough. Good DFS on neck. BBS on face. Close.

Comfortable so far.

View attachment 851067

Brisk Spice is one of my favorite scents. It is not made any more, but is available for a reasonable price on ebay. I decided to spring for a second bottle so another one is in transit.

I want my shaves to be smoother on my neck. Hey, bet you've never heard that before! However, that may be a hopeless quest until I'm comfortable with discomfort, or more skilled with the tools.

View attachment 851069

I'm thinking of switching baseplates and trying the SE2 again. It is every bit as smooth on most of my face and neck with the exception of my upper and lower lips and my chin. I'm not saying it is more efficient, but some people say it is, and I might want to find out for myself.

The SE1 is an easier tool to use though.

Happy shaves,

Jim
We look forward to your report and if you can tame the SE2. To be able to use both freely, each with their own strengths and weaknesses, will ultimately show you've improved your technique and add variety as a spice of life.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
We look forward to your report and if you can tame the SE2. To be able to use both freely, each with their own strengths and weaknesses, will ultimately show you've improved your technique and add variety as a spice of life.

Sounds like a plan. I believe I know how to make the SE2 smooth feeling on my upper and lower lips and chin, but accomplishing it is another matter, so maybe I don't know.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Sounds like a plan. I believe I know how to make the SE2 smooth feeling on my upper and lower lips and chin, but accomplishing it is another matter, so maybe I don't know.

The only razor for a month?

From what I gather, thats likely too much razor for many shaving every day, but you'd find out quickly if you dont already know.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The only razor for a month?

From what I gather, thats likely too much razor for many shaving every day, but you'd find out quickly if you dont already know.

I'm not planning to do a month with the SE2, but I believe I could. It really is a reasonably smooth shaver as long as it is up on its head. Well, that's true, but I've not mastered making it smooth on my upper or lower lips nor on my chin; that's the problem.

It is quite aggressive unless skillfully used, but skillfully used (shallow as all get out) it is fine (with the above caveat).

The SE1 is easier to use, especially on my lips and chin, but is it really entirely as efficient?

The truth is neither are as efficient (so far, but I'm still learning them) as I'd like. My guess is maybe no razor is as efficient as I'd like. Efficient - close, few passes - + smooth and comfortable is a tall order.

Obviously, there is a learning curve, and it is hard to know if you've climbed it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Hahaha. We need to invent miniature ones to dry shaving brushes!

My brushes sit upright on a shelf that's directly below the HVAC register in the ceiling. So when the heat (or AC) comes on, they get the benefit of the moving air. I think it speeds up the drying a little, or at least that's what I tell myself...

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My brushes sit upright on a shelf that's directly below the HVAC register in the ceiling. So when the heat (or AC) comes on, they get the benefit of the moving air. I think it speeds up the drying a little, or at least that's what I tell myself...

BOSC2Anything for science.jpg

Good plan. I like your thinking.

I have radiators, but I could adapt to them. I need to do some weighing of brushes to find out how dry mine get, but usually I go a few days between times I use a brush.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm not planning to do a month with the SE2, but I believe I could. It really is a reasonably smooth shaver as long as it is up on its head. Well, that's true, but I've not mastered making it smooth on my upper or lower lips nor on my chin; that's the problem.

It is quite aggressive unless skillfully used, but skillfully used (shallow as all get out) it is fine (with the above caveat).

The SE1 is easier to use, especially on my lips and chin, but is it really entirely as efficient?

The truth is neither are as efficient (so far, but I'm still learning them) as I'd like. My guess is maybe no razor is as efficient as I'd like. Efficient - close, few passes - + smooth and comfortable is a tall order.

Obviously, there is a learning curve, and it is hard to know if you've climbed it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

When I shave my upper lip ATG I tip my head to the side sharply. Shaving my right side upper lip, my head is tilted sharply to the left. With my direction of growth thats slightly XTG, but mostly ATG and its really simple. I'm shaving in pretty much a straight line right to left. Reversed for my left side.

I'm not sure how well that would work with the wider head of the AC razors, but it may help a bit.

I shake my brush out firmly, then paint a towel with it to dry it even more. It then sits on its handle in my bowl and is dry in less than 24 hours. Especially this time of year with the furnace going.

My brush is boar however. I'm kind of curious if a badger will dry as quickly.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Today my shave was deliberately atypical, but it was a good shave.

TypeO.Clone.Top.Fan.ProrasoRed.JPG

Yes, that is the famous ebarbershop Type O clone (of the Schick Type O razor). Yes, it is an exact copy except for a product mark and a minor cosmetic change. Yes, it is very well made. Probably it's made on the original equipment.

I've not used the razor in months. Here's a link to my last previous shave with it.

The Proraso Red is a newly opened container. I've not used Proraso Red until today, but I've used the Green in a tube a good bit a while back. This Red is a very nice soap indeed. I did not say nice for the price. It is nice. Period. The scent is not strong at all. The lather is good. It lathers easily in my not hard water. It hydrates well. It is slick, and it lasts on my beard. I like it a lot.

The TWIN blade is barely out of the cradle with only about a dozen shaves. It has smoothed out, but is still incredibly sharp.

I did a simple shave. N-S. S-N. Jawline R-L. A bit more neck work. Two plus passes. Not a lot of passes anywhere.

upload_2018-1-10_14-33-53.png

Result: A BBS face, and a DFS neck. No baby chasing today.

I was able to appreciate the razor's very audible feedback when the angle was right. I'd forgotten how loud the razors talks.

My shave was also pretty fast. I was not careless exactly. Certainly I am respectful of razor blades, and I know this TWIN can cut you, but I was throwing the razor about much more than I would dream of doing with my AC razors. The audible feedback helped a lot. The razor was easy to shave with.

The comfort level seems good enough for a razor I've not used in months. Not perfect, but close enough to send Christmas cards.

I'm not sure about this razor yet. Two thumbs up? Maybe. One thumb up? Absolutely.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My brush is boar however. I'm kind of curious if a badger will dry as quickly.

I don't think it truly possible to know without weighing the brush totally dry (many days drying) to establish a dry baseline, and then weighing to compare what you think is dry with truly dry baseline.

I first shake the brush to get rid of major water. Then I pat dry my brush (blotting it on the side of the knot). I dry the ends of the bristles rubbing them (splaying them a bit) against a towel. I dry the handle with a towel. I store them upright on the handle usually. I have hangers but do not use them.

Mike, the lip shaving issues only happen with the AC platform, and the only one that's not smooth on my lips is the SE2. All other razors shave my lips well. Weird, I think.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My little collection of GEM and E-R razors continues to grow. These are all photographs from the vendors. I'll have my own pictures to show down the road.

upload_2018-1-10_18-41-20.png

The Clog-Pruf I'm working on is looking good, but has developed, since I started messing with it, a tiny issue with the cap not opening sometimes unless I tap it (when it is locked down and being opened). It will function just fine with that little glitch, but I will mess around and see if I can fix it. The shine is coming along. It's going to be a pretty razor.

The above photo shows how the finish needed only a little work.

upload_2018-1-10_18-38-18.png

I have a GEM Damaskeene (above) in transit. It is the second one I've purchased on ebay. The first was returned because of a missing blade stop. I hope this one is okay. I have not done any work on old razors which are not brass, so this will be a learning experience. It may look better than the photo.

upload_2018-1-10_18-43-31.png

This beautiful 1914 is also in transit. It is coming to me from a B&B brother. I am looking forward to shaving with this razor, and to admiring how nice it looks, too.

There may be one or two more GEM | ER razors I might want later, but this mostly completes the group of razors in that platform that I want to have to shave with. I have the idea that I will like the platform.

With a few of these razors guys are using the Schick TWIN injector blades. I have those and I have the nice GEM blades from England, the coated blades. I'm way into using my SE1 and SE2 razors right now, and in no particular hurry to try the GEM platform. I'm having fun assembling my tools so I'll be fully ready when they're all fixed and clean and Barbicided, and the mood strikes me.
upload_2018-1-10_18-56-13.png

I've been reasonably thrifty in my choices. Learning to buy vintage razors has a learning curve, and requires patience.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Gents,

My first post on the forum. I've been lurking for awhile. (Long enough to get through the first 50-something pages of this thread... I'm still back in early November (in the thread) but catching up).

I thought I'd time travel forward to let you know that I'm enjoying this thread. It's not only enjoyable, it's educational, informative, thought-provoking, entertaining, and also a little costly (I have a couple of boar brushes (SOC and a Stirling), Captain's Choice 45th parallel and 1912 Wickham soap, a Fatip Grande, a vintage Gillete (ok, maybe 2), and several hundred blades in transit).

I also have, as a result of this thread, improved my shaves significantly, and want to thank you all for that.

I don't have particularly sensitive skin, but much of this information is applicable to everyone, I believe. Somewhere recently (page 50 something) someone mentioned that the parameters that lead to an efficient razor and of a smooth razor should be defineable and quantifiable and that is one of the reasons I decided to skip ahead and make this post. Makes a lot of sense to me.

For example, blade rigidity. While some (sounds like those with sensitive skin especially) benefit immensely from a rigid blade, it seems that if it benefits those folks, it would benefit all. I (believe) I understand that rigidity and blade exposure and blade gap and ... may be to some extent conflicting requirements, IF it were possible to hold all variables equal, why would one not desire a rigid blade... what advantage would a non-rigid blade have, even if your skin can tolerate it.

Anyway, just my thoughts... I suspect I'll find, in the next 45 pages or so that you'll all have solved all the problems and answered all the questions by the time I catch up.

Thank you all again for your help. I'm headed back to early November :)

But:

proxy.php

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Welcome to the forum and damnit, this guy needs an award for reading the entire thread LOL.

You-Deserve-The.png

For example, blade rigidity. While some (sounds like those with sensitive skin especially) benefit immensely from a rigid blade, it seems that if it benefits those folks, it would benefit all. I (believe) I understand that rigidity and blade exposure and blade gap and ... may be to some extent conflicting requirements, IF it were possible to hold all variables equal, why would one not desire a rigid blade... what advantage would a non-rigid blade have, even if your skin can tolerate it.

YES!

m7run.jpg

Stay tuned. Once we solve this relatively easy shaving dilemma, we may move to world events lol.

In all seriousness though, it's really nice to hear people are absorbing the information in this thread, putting it to practical use and finding the outcome worth it.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
My little collection of GEM and E-R razors continues to grow. These are all photographs from the vendors. I'll have my own pictures to show down the road.

View attachment 851437

The Clog-Pruf I'm working on is looking good, but has developed, since I started messing with it, a tiny issue with the cap not opening sometimes unless I tap it (when it is locked down and being opened). It will function just fine with that little glitch, but I will mess around and see if I can fix it. The shine is coming along. It's going to be a pretty razor.

The above photo shows how the finish needed only a little work.

View attachment 851436

I have a GEM Damaskeene (above) in transit. It is the second one I've purchased on ebay. The first was returned because of a missing blade stop. I hope this one is okay. I have not done any work on old razors which are not brass, so this will be a learning experience. It may look better than the photo.

View attachment 851438

This beautiful 1914 is also in transit. It is coming to me from a B&B brother. I am looking forward to shaving with this razor, and to admiring how nice it looks, too.

There may be one or two more GEM | ER razors I might want later, but this mostly completes the group of razors in that platform that I want to have to shave with. I have the idea that I will like the platform.

With a few of these razors guys are using the Schick TWIN injector blades. I have those and I have the nice GEM blades from England, the coated blades. I'm way into using my SE1 and SE2 razors right now, and in no particular hurry to try the GEM platform. I'm having fun assembling my tools so I'll be fully ready when they're all fixed and clean and Barbicided, and the mood strikes me.
View attachment 851440
I've been reasonably thrifty in my choices. Learning to buy vintage razors has a learning curve, and requires patience.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim
Jim! Your rad bought a tear to my eye's. Those are some beautiful GEMS. If anybody can clean them up and fix them it would be you. I've found just when you think you're done there's that one more.... I can't wait to see what you do with them. The one from a B&B brethren looks awesome already. Here I thought I was the crazy one. The one bit of advice I can offer is: BUY THEM ALL!
gj1.gif

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Welcome to the forum and damnit, this guy needs an award for reading the entire thread LOL.

View attachment 851449

YES!

View attachment 851447

Stay tuned. Once we solve this relatively easy shaving dilemma, we may move to world events lol.

In all seriousness though, it's really nice to hear people are absorbing the information in this thread, putting it to practical use and finding the outcome worth it.
Hear, hear and welcome Kogswell!

Mike, I think if someone can pour through all of our nonsense, and make sense of it, I sense a future BOSC-er in the making. :letterk1:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Hear, hear and welcome Kogswell!

Mike, I think if someone can pour through all of our nonsense, and make sense of it, I sense a future BOSC-er in the making. :letterk1:

Going by his first post he's already BOSC and may not realize it! lol

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Gents,

My first post on the forum. I've been lurking for awhile. (Long enough to get through the first 50-something pages of this thread... I'm still back in early November (in the thread) but catching up).

I thought I'd time travel forward to let you know that I'm enjoying this thread. It's not only enjoyable, it's educational, informative, thought-provoking, entertaining, and also a little costly (I have a couple of boar brushes (SOC and a Stirling), Captain's Choice 45th parallel and 1912 Wickham soap, a Fatip Grande, a vintage Gillete (ok, maybe 2), and several hundred blades in transit).

I also have, as a result of this thread, improved my shaves significantly, and want to thank you all for that.

I don't have particularly sensitive skin, but much of this information is applicable to everyone, I believe. Somewhere recently (page 50 something) someone mentioned that the parameters that lead to an efficient razor and of a smooth razor should be defineable and quantifiable and that is one of the reasons I decided to skip ahead and make this post. Makes a lot of sense to me.

Anyway, just my thoughts... I suspect I'll find, in the next 45 pages or so that you'll all have solved all the problems and answered all the questions by the time I catch up.

Thank you all again for your help. I'm headed back to early November :)

But:

proxy.php

What an honor to have someone wade through all of our posts and adventures. I know when I read back through it, which I do on occasion, I learn things, but it is so great to realize it is actually helping someone else.

To have someone read fifty pages of this thread and then decide to place their first ever post here is quite a gesture. Thanks so much.

The most impressive thing though is the quality of this first post. It is so cool to have someone understand the bottom line of so many things we've struggled with (well, I've struggled with so many things if nobody else has).

I hope the rest of the thread is also helpful and beneficial and interesting.

Happy shaves,

Jim

View attachment 851449

YES!

View attachment 851447

I don't usually do this, but +1. I think I smell a dedicated member of the BOSC here...

Welcome @Kogswell to Badger & Blade!

What an honor to have someone wade through all of our posts and adventures. I know when I read back through it, which I do on occasion, I learn things, but it is so great to realize it is actually helping someone else.

To have someone read fifty pages of this thread and then decide to place their first ever post here is quite a gesture. Thanks so much.

The most impressive thing though is the quality of this first post. It is so cool to have someone understand the bottom line of so many things we've struggled with (well, I've struggled with so many things if nobody else has).

I hope the rest of the thread is also helpful and beneficial and interesting.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I've read little things about rigidity in various other threads. I think between you, Mike @Esox, and the "Godfather of Rigidity" @rabidus, rigidity and its importance to shaving has been made much more widely known and understood. This thread has been one of the single best things for my shaving, and I have learned a library's worth of information here. I haven't always remembered what I learned (like everything in life) but it is always available if I need to refresh my memory. I've looked back through it from time to time, even searching for the type O clone posts a week or so ago. 9 pages of search results on the word "clone". Jim, this thread truly is a gold mine of information. Thanks again for it.

I don't think it truly possible to know without weighing the brush totally dry (many days drying) to establish a dry baseline, and then weighing to compare what you think is dry with truly dry baseline.

I first shake the brush to get rid of major water. Then I pat dry my brush (blotting it on the side of the knot). I dry the ends of the bristles rubbing them (splaying them a bit) against a towel. I dry the handle with a towel. I store them upright on the handle usually. I have hangers but do not use them.

For a couple of years I did the standing upside down on a brush thing. Since I hung my brushes there was a ridiculous amount of effective drying in time. My brushes drys faster upside down than standing upright in a draft- I live in a semi desert where the air is dry.

I might be wrong, but a blade with less rigidity benefits from short quick strokes cutting down the stubble without giving way and getting caught on stubble with the pull effect. So it might rest on the one using the blade- and the blade is manufactured with less rigidity as others, but the balance on the blades characteristics makes it a good effective blade when used properly. I am not sure of this, but then, maybe more forgiving, even a rigid blade when pulled slowly will pull on stubble and loose effectiveness and cause undesired results.

Advantage of the blade lies with the user- A shaver finds himself a good blade and sticks with them, others he wont find good or finds one that irritate his skin while the same blade works the best for another. Looking at blade reviews or discussions of blades there are shavers that would love a blade that another finds a nightmare on the skin or effectiveness. Then there is blade use in different razors that work in one razor but not the other.

Top Bottom