What's new

Who likes the "talk"?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have read a few posts on here that imply a silent shave is a better one than when you can her the razor doing it's job. Personally, I like the talk of the razor on my stubble, and it's one of the methods of feedback that tells me (audibly) that everything is working as it should. When you get to know a razor well, it develops it's own language as it were, and lets you know what's happening without having to run a hand over your face to find out. If it doesn't sound right, then I know I didn't quite get the angle right, and need to go over that area again. Maybe those of you who don't stick with a set up very long aren't as attuned to this - I don't know.

So, is it just me, or do other people like the talk of the razor during a shave?

In general, if I can hear the razor cutting, I adjust the angle slightly so I can't hear it. It makes for a more efficient shave. When I was young, I worked on the family cane field in Hawaii, and when you use too flat of an angle, the cane will shake and not cut cleanly. We were taught to slice instead of cut so that the cane falls without shaking. That is probably why I enjoy shaving with slants so much. Having said that, there are razors (such as bakelite slants) that are more prone to audio feedback because they are light. Still, I work to minimize the noise.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
In general, if I can hear the razor cutting, I adjust the angle slightly so I can't hear it. It makes for a more efficient shave. When I was young, I worked on the family cane field in Hawaii, and when you use too flat of an angle, the cane will shake and not cut cleanly. We were taught to slice instead of cut so that the cane falls without shaking. That is probably why I enjoy shaving with slants so much. Having said that, there are razors (such as bakelite slants) that are more prone to audio feedback because they are light. Still, I work to minimize the noise.

Interesting comparison with the cane field. I can understand fully what you mean with the slice there.

When you say that you adjust the angle of the razor, do you mean the tilt, or do you twist the razor around slightly so that you are not square on to the direction of travel?

Interesting comparison with the cane field. I can understand fully what you mean with the slice there.

When you say that you adjust the angle of the razor, do you mean the tilt, or do you twist the razor around slightly so that you are not square on to the direction of travel?
I adjust the tilt. Usually when trying a new razor, I will go with a medium shave angle, and if I hear noise, I go with a steeper angle until the noise is minimized. Granted, sometimes if I go too far, I am only clearing lather, but most times, especially with the newer razors that are mild and efficient, when I stop to check, I find out that it really is cutting whiskers.

I love the sound my razors make. It's like a tiny katana slicing through all my hairs. It's definitely a sure way to tell what's going on. This instant feedback makes it simple to adjust on the fly. I also use the vibration in the handle as a gauge. My RR German 37 on a Maggard MR1 handle is dog gone loud! *ching ching ching ching*

I like the sound. I find from my personal experience audible feedback occurs the same time as my best shaves. No sound generally means I am using too mild a razor for my face.

I find it vary's from razor to razor. I've had some really efficient razors singing like a bird and others quite but it doesn't always fall in line. Sometimes I use what most would call either a very efficient or aggressive razor and it's very loud and I have other razors that are just as efficient as the ones mentioned that are much quieter but still are just as efficient as the louder ones. Personally I like to hear some feedback just cause I like the sound.

I have read a few posts on here that imply a silent shave is a better one than when you can her the razor doing it's job. Personally, I like the talk of the razor on my stubble, and it's one of the methods of feedback that tells me (audibly) that everything is working as it should. When you get to know a razor well, it develops it's own language as it were, and lets you know what's happening without having to run a hand over your face to find out. If it doesn't sound right, then I know I didn't quite get the angle right, and need to go over that area again. Maybe those of you who don't stick with a set up very long aren't as attuned to this - I don't know.

So, is it just me, or do other people like the talk of the razor during a shave?

I’m with you 100%.

I just starting writing reviews of my several new razors. I feel the aural feedback is so important to the shave experience, that I make sure to describe it in every shave review. It's not just razors! Even different blades sound differently!

What is the cause of the sound some razor have?

I think it must be a minutely vibrating blade. Doesn't there have to be vibration for a sound to exist? But I'm speculating.

What is the cause of the sound some razor have?

I think it must be a minutely vibrating blade. Doesn't there have to be vibration for a sound to exist? But I'm speculating.
That's a distinct possibility.

In my limited experience:

My EJ has a less rigid blade structure; it is a pretty loud shaver.

My Piccolo has a very rigid blade structure; it's pretty quiet.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
You absolutely must have quiet.

If you are listening to music, news, or some thoughtless person speaking in the background, you are not concentrating (1) and missing out on the whole Zen focus-less-ness experience (2).

AA

I like the audible feedback. I don't listen to music when I shave for this reason. I am usually the first person up in my house, and I have a nice quiet bathroom when I shave.

Top Bottom