What's new

My 17 Year Razor Search is Over: Strange but True!

Well my 17 year search for the perfect razor has finally ended. I have found my holy grail. It did not end with the Iwasaki Tamahagane Western straight razor in NIB condition with 1901-6 serial number (possibly the last one ever made). That would make sense. Not the case though.

My holy grail razor, is the one pictured to the right. What is it you might wonder? It is the Teck II from Razorock upgraded with a donor handle.

I. Am. Not. Kidding.

I actually got it free with an order last year, because I spent over $100 on the order. The stupid things only cost $5. I only know the actual price because I just bought 3 more to ensure I am never without one for my remaining decades on this planet. Make no mistake, it is a cheap Chinese zamak piece of crap. It is also basically magic for me.

When I pair it with a Perma-sharp Super, it's like some weird voodoo magic happens. The first time I shaved with this combo I literally checked to see if I had forgotten to put the blade in. It was that smooth for me. I had always stretched my blades to see how long I could go with them. The longest I had previously gone was 2 weeks, and it was unpleasant. With the Perma-sharp and Teck II, I was able to go for over 50 days on the same blade with effortless DFS every single day. YMMV.

I'm not a Razorock fanboy. Although I do like their soaps, most of their razors are just rebadged Chinese or Indian manufactured chromed up zamak paperweights. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I don't know why the razor gods mock me in this way, but there is no point in arguing. I think I'm done looking. I will not bother emptying Ebay of prewar NIB Gillettes in a desperate search to find something more dignified with equivalent performance. I no longer believe that a better razor for my particular whiskers/skin/technique exists. Strange but true!

proxy.php

Hey, it could happen! Congrats.
I’m pretty new to straights, but for some reason I’m really drawn to Japanese western straights. The Iwasaki is definitely a Grail. Very cool.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Perma-Sharp Super really is a fantastic blade. They last a long time for me too, I lost count at 12 shaves and it went well beyond that and stayed smooth are sharp for as long as I used it only to swap it out to try a different blade.

The RR Teck II is a copy of the post war Tech and its one razor I've recommended often. The DE1 is the same head on a different handle as I understand it. Nice to hear someone loves it!

Brother Dovo,

Lemme get this straight. Did I read it correctly? It took you 17 years to find the perfect razor, and it is a $5 made in China piece of manure. And you get 50 quality shaves per blade???

Respectfully, I suggest you return to the search for the perfect razor. It's still eluding you IMO.

Perma-Sharp Super really is a fantastic blade. They last a long time for me too, I lost count at 12 shaves and it went well beyond that and stayed smooth are sharp for as long as I used it only to swap it out to try a different blade.

The RR Teck II is a copy of the post war Tech and its one razor I've recommended often. The DE1 is the same head on a different handle as I understand it. Nice to hear someone loves it!

Definitely a case of YMMV! I know it's a bad Tech knock-off, and I know for fact that it's a piece of junk, but for whatever reason, it really works well for me. I'm not saying that it's a good razor; I just think it's kind of ironic that the razor that turned out to perform the best for me is the one that makes the least sense. It literally could not get any cheaper, uglier or more pedestrian.

It just goes to show, YMMV is for real. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Brother Dovo,

Lemme get this straight. Did I read it correctly? It took you 17 years to find the perfect razor, and it is a $5 made in China piece of manure. And you get 50 quality shaves per blade???

Respectfully, I suggest you return to the search for the perfect razor. It's still eluding you IMO.

You're probably right about that. 17 years is a long time, but I guess wasn't really looking that hard either. The RR Teck II was literally a "free gift" promo and it's hard to kick a rock around here without turning up an Iwasaki. Hard to really call that a "quest" I suppose.

Respectfully, I'll try to raise to my standards.

Thanx for your response, brother Dovo. There are so many good inexpensive razors out there for you to consider. And they shave well too!

Gillette Tech
Star DE
The vast family of Gillette Super Speeds
Gillette Old Type
The Gillette Good Will
Gillette NEW
The very large family of Schick injectors
The Gem SE's such as the 1912
And many many more!

Good hunting!

It took me about 6 months to find the perfect shaver.

My first was a Merkur 34c which was just a little too mild for me.

I then purchased a Merkur Progress and found it to be my perfect shaver. Set to 1, it's very much like the 34c. Set to 2, it's a little more aggressive than the 34c, exactly what I was looking for.

Now you've got me interested. Can anyone compare the Teck II / Baili with Gillette's post-war Tech? I have the latter and really like how smooth it is but it is just too inefficient. Same goes for the Ikon X3. The R89 does a better job but sometimes gives me weepers.

Now you've got me interested. Can anyone compare the Teck II / Baili with Gillette's post-war Tech? I have the latter and really like how smooth it is but it is just too inefficient. Same goes for the Ikon X3. The R89 does a better job but sometimes gives me weepers.
I'm the same way with the Gillette Techs. I like that they're smooth and safe, but they take a little too much work for me to get the same shave that I get with a Super Speed, or almost any other Gillette. I would really love to try an English Open Comb Tech!

I get it!

My zamak Tech shaves me better than my nice brass Techs do. Like you, I have a few zamak extras just in case.

Thanx for your response, brother Dovo. There are so many good inexpensive razors out there for you to consider. And they shave well too!

Gillette Tech
Star DE
The vast family of Gillette Super Speeds
Gillette Old Type
The Gillette Good Will
Gillette NEW
The very large family of Schick injectors
The Gem SE's such as the 1912
And many many more!

Good hunting!

Your list is a good one. Better than good, excellent. And in particular I'm delighted to see you mentioned the Gillette Super Speeds and the GEM's. Vastly vastly under-rated IMHO. Wonderful razors.

I've recently been just stunned by how good my Rocket HD has been performing. I know it's not a $5.00 razor, but these razors even in great shape don't sell for anything like the new crop of high cost razors. And what a sterling performer, especially with a Feather blade.

Congratulations. My search ended with my 46/7 Aristocrat. For me, it's not about the stuff; it's all about the shave. Enjoy your shaves! :001_smile

I just finished RazoRocktober using the DE1 (same head as Teck II with different handle) and I'm at 26 shaves on a GSB blade. It's smooth and almost as efficient as my German 37 slant.

Top Bottom