What's new

Rockwell 6S, Proudly forged in USA, China?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Really!!!, What difference does it make. Did you think out that response?
Of course I did.

And so far the only answer is that some folk don't want to buy Chinese products.

Not wanting to buy products made in China or Canada or Brazil or Mexico is as good a reason as not wanting to eat strawberry jam. If someone doesn't like something then avoiding that thing is fine.

But beyond personal taste no one so far has given any reason why a razor made in China would be inferior to a razor made anywhere else.

I have a Rockwell 2C and I assume based on what was said in this thread that it is made in China but until this thread I never even considered where it was made. It's an okay product from a company that provided great customer support. It is the Company, their support and their product I buy, not where the factory happens to be.

Some people like to support U.S. jobs.
Used to scoff at father urging buy american until all the jobs left. Thinking that your job is safe from offshoring is delusion. Yes it matters from the lowest to highest skill job. Strong healthy economies of any size manufacture period.

Okay, so they had a packaging error which has been resolved. I was still confused about the "space grade stainless steel" term so contacted them. They confirmed all the 6S components are currently manufactured in the USA from grade 316 stainless steel. That is one of the standard grades of stainless steel in common use so not that special. It is more used in severe environments as opposed to the 304 grade. Mystery resolved.

Haha. Like ford’s “military grade” milspec al. Haha

Rockwell make good razors no doubt about that. They have presented stellar customer service. Do they use marketing to sell their product - sure they do. Doesn't everyone in some form or another? Does everyone luv the razor - no. Do they make mistatkes? Of course they do especially being a very junior company. Does it matter to everyone where something is manufactured - nope but to some it does.

Canadian headquartered. 6S American made. 6C China. Not much of an issue. It’s fixed.

I’d love to pick up my Wolfman, Timeless, Weber or the Blackbird I just received but unfortunately the 6S (4 5,6 BP) outshaves them all.

Not being American ( lived a few years in NY) doesn't bother me where a razor comes from, as long as it performs.
One other thing to consider is how many of us are willing to buy a top razor made in the U.S.A at an X price and how many of us are willing to buy the same razor made in China at a third of the price.

Used to scoff at father urging buy american until all the jobs left. Thinking that your job is safe from offshoring is delusion. Yes it matters from the lowest to highest skill job. Strong healthy economies of any size manufacture period.
I agree entirely. Unless and until some manufacturer from another country makes something better and cheaper, and gives better customer service. Fortunately, I've found that isn't often the case, at least for the higher quality, less mass-produced items. But as for safety razors and blades, hey, Gillette is a Boston company and invented them but has long since decided to stop making those things, at least in the US, as have the other major US makers. So I have no problem giving my business to Merkur, or EJ, or Parker, or Lord, or whomever.
And I get great results from my Taiwan-made Fendrihan steel razor, which was $40. No apologies.

But beyond personal taste no one so far has given any reason why a razor made in China would be inferior to a razor made anywhere else.

I just wanted to mention that it's not necessarily about the quality of the product. I can’t speak for cigator, but I think it is very possible, as Nate B said, some people prefer to support products made in their local industries. It's not about one being inferior to the other.

If someone really passionately wants to support their local industries, they will happily pay a bit extra for something that is similar in quality, to help support.

Can you buy it on AliBaba yet ?

I don't see any rockwells on AliBaba yet.

I just wanted to mention that it's not necessarily about the quality of the product. I can’t speak for cigator, but I think it is very possible, as Nate B said, some people prefer to support products made in their local industries. It's not about one being inferior to the other.

If someone really passionately wants to support their local industries, they will happily pay a bit extra for something that is similar in quality, to help support.

Yeah they have Weishi now

yep. and they also have the Future clones, Mingshi s2000 and another by Qshave. I've read a couple negative reviews regarding the quality, but quite a few good reviews, so for under $10, I figured it would be worth a try. :) I may get a dud, but I'm willing to risk that.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.

But when I buy from Rockwell I am supporting Rockwell.

I am not buying American made or Chinese made, I am buying Rockwell.

And personal choice is always a valid part of any purchasing decision. But if Rockwell makes a decision to outsource part of their products that is Rockwell, not me.

My decision was that I wanted a to try moderately efficient example of Rockwell's products and also see how their customer service stacked up. The 2C offered me a chance to check out those two factors. As it turned out there was a problem with the first razor they sent. I contacted the seller and by the next morning Rockwell had a replacement razor headed my way. In the meantime I was able to determine that the issue was simply poorly cut threads on the cap and so was able to use a tap & die to solve the problem.

But the important thing was their customer service.

Since I had solved the issue on the original I offered to ship the second one back but was told to keep it for my troubles. It will be among the items offered during Saint Sue and the original is in my accumulation.

So what I learned that I would never have learned if I had refused to buy the 2C simply because it was made in China, was that Rockwell stands behind their products with exemplary customer service and that the Rockwell swap a base concept is simply not for me. It's an adequate but unexciting and definitely not pretty razor.

Both of those learning experiences were well worth what I spent. The customer experience will assure that I consider other products they may offer regardless of where the item happens to be made. The customer experience will assure that I will recommend the company should anyone seek my opinion. The customer service experience will assure that when that topic comes up I will point to Rockwell as an exemplary example.

I was glad to get confirmation that the 6s is a USA made razor. I prefer to buy USA made products when possible. Seems a patriotic thing to do.

With product origin resolved, I have used the 6s for my daily shave. I worked my way from plate 1 to 4 so far. Plate 1 is good for quick shave if you want a little shadow, similar with 2. Plate 3 gave a DFS, but took to many passes and touch-up. Plate 4 gave me a near BBS shave, but I must say, I find that plate 4 starts to rub my face a little raw. I get a comparable shave with my Weber as plate 4, without that raw feeling. I will wait a couple of days and try Plate 5 and 6 this weekend. Really nice razor for the money.

The OP's original post was a valid concern/question, and appears that the mystery was solved.

How fortunate some of us are to have the luxury of choice and the ability to discriminate where our dollars are channeled.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
The other have said it already, but I'll pile on too. :D :D :D

Of course it matters where it's made, especially if you're advertising US made.
Okay. But that was explained. So the advertising was simply an error.

Now other than that and personal preference, why does it matter where it was made?

Okay. But that was explained. So the advertising was simply an error.

Now other than that and personal preference, why does it matter where it was made?

Because personally I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra for something that's locally made.
In terms of quality, it might not matter at all, but supporting your "neighbors" and money going into your local state/federal account seems like a right thing to do, rather than always chasing a deal. Besides, outsourcing manufacturing cuts the cost, but doesn't always translate into less expensive product.

More less something along those lines. Now, don't get me wrong, same as most of us, I buy lots of things that are manufactured offshore, most things perhaps, but it's nice to see when companies are creating jobs locally and still managing to make profit.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Because personally I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra for something that's locally made.
In terms of quality, it might not matter at all, but supporting your "neighbors" and money going into your local state/federal account seems like a right thing to do, rather than always chasing a deal. Besides, outsourcing manufacturing cuts the cost, but doesn't always translate into less expensive product.

More less something along those lines. Now, don't get me wrong, same as most of us, I buy lots of things that are manufactured offshore, most things perhaps, but it's nice to see when companies are creating jobs locally and still managing to make profit.
As I have always said, personal preference is a valid response, but when I buy a Rockwell 2C and someone else buys a Rockwell 6S we are both supporting Rockwell.

As I have always said, personal preference is a valid response, but when I buy a Rockwell 2C and someone else buys a Rockwell 6S we are both supporting Rockwell.

Of course and everyone has that choice to make, no right or wrong.

I don't have issue of purchasing products manufactured offshore as long as company is open about it. I think OP's initial concern was just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom