What's new

Fragrance Samples Discussion Thread

I really wanted to like Tobacco Oud, but found it too sweet. Probably just as well, given the price.
It performs pretty well. 8-10 hours and I got 12 on my clothes with light projection. I could see why you think it is too sweet. Although I would not call it sweet like some vanilla or candy like sweetness.

It performs pretty well. 8-10 hours and I got 12 on my clothes with light projection. I could see why you think it is too sweet. Although I would not call it sweet like some vanilla or candy like sweetness.

Yeah, it's not too sweet for me either. That said it has some note in it that is just off putting, it's in the opening of it and I can't quite put my "nose" on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Today
Mancera Holidays

I received six samples of the newsiest scents from Mancera in a drawing from Beverly HIlls Perfumery. This is the first one I am trying.
I have only had it on for a few hours so I will have to come back and update later.

The opening is BIG on Tiare and Coconut for sure. It does remind me a lot of coconut scented sunscreen from my childhood. Pretty creamy and smooth! I am getting a fair amount of vanilla but it is not overly sweet. Right not it does remind me a little of Intense Tiare from Montale. I do not recall getting any bergamot in the opening at all.

Smooth Creamy Coconut. A little floral and sweet. Great unisex beach scent.

More to come later after another wearing. So far now 5+ hours in I am enjoying it. Maybe a touch fem for me but it is a nice hot weather beach scent. Only if you like coconut though

Today
Mancera Holidays

I received six samples of the newsiest scents from Mancera in a drawing from Beverly HIlls Perfumery. This is the first one I am trying.
I have only had it on for a few hours so I will have to come back and update later.

The opening is BIG on Tiare and Coconut for sure. It does remind me a lot of coconut scented sunscreen from my childhood. Pretty creamy and smooth! I am getting a fair amount of vanilla but it is not overly sweet. Right not it does remind me a little of Intense Tiare from Montale. I do not recall getting any bergamot in the opening at all.

More to come later after another wearing. So far now 5+ hours in I am enjoying it. Maybe a touch fem for me but it is a nice hot weather beach scent. Only if you like coconut though

Well, this one is out lol

Today
Mancera Holidays

The performance was pretty good. I would say about 8 hours with good projection and I could still smell it 15+ hours later. The drydown is pretty strong on the coconut with a floral background. Not my typical scent but I do enjoy it!

Mancera Black Gold

From the Mancera website

HEAD NOTES

Citrus Fruits, Nepalese Oud, Fresh Lavender, Cinnamon & Nutmeg.

HEART NOTES

Egyptian Jasmine, Violet, Rose, Marine Notes & Leaves of Patchouli.

BASE NOTES

Vetiver, Woody Notes, Leather Notes, Amber & Sensual White Musk

I did get a nice citrus opening but it was very short lived. It then changed to a slightly sweet almost chocolate scent. This was also kind of short lived and had an almost fruit and rose note kind of like Roses and Chocolate from the same house. Maybe five more minutes and I got a Herod like vibe. This again seemed short lived. Now after some drydown of about 3 hours its a nice leather with some oud and maybe even a little fruity. I was expecting a beastly scent but I am not getting that right now. I really do like it so I will have to try it again soon and go a little heavy on the trigger next time.

Mancera Black Gold

From the Mancera website

HEAD NOTES

Citrus Fruits, Nepalese Oud, Fresh Lavender, Cinnamon & Nutmeg.

HEART NOTES

Egyptian Jasmine, Violet, Rose, Marine Notes & Leaves of Patchouli.

BASE NOTES

Vetiver, Woody Notes, Leather Notes, Amber & Sensual White Musk

I did get a nice citrus opening but it was very short lived. It then changed to a slightly sweet almost chocolate scent. This was also kind of short lived and had an almost fruit and rose note kind of like Roses and Chocolate from the same house. Maybe five more minutes and I got a Herod like vibe. This again seemed short lived. Now after some drydown of about 3 hours its a nice leather with some oud and maybe even a little fruity. I was expecting a beastly scent but I am not getting that right now. I really do like it so I will have to try it again soon and go a little heavy on the trigger next time.

Hmmmmmm, I'll have to try this one for sure! Thanks, bud :)

Today
Dior Bois d'Argent
I love the quality of this line from Dior but I only seem to like a few enough to wear them. This one might be another one that I enjoy but wont wear again.
not my description but
Aromatic juniper berries, smelling dry and fresh, cypress and cold – powdery iris create the top of the composition. The heart is sweet – woody with an intensive aroma of incense, contributed by Somalia myrrh, patchouli creating winey, woody aroma, characterizing chypre fragrances. The base adds up warmly and sensual with vanilla, musk, amber, woody notes, honey and leather scent.

The opening is mostly myrrh and iris. I like myrrh a lot! But the iris in this is way to strong for me.

Today
Dior Bois d'Argent
I love the quality of this line from Dior but I only seem to like a few enough to wear them. This one might be another one that I enjoy but wont wear again.
not my description but
Aromatic juniper berries, smelling dry and fresh, cypress and cold – powdery iris create the top of the composition. The heart is sweet – woody with an intensive aroma of incense, contributed by Somalia myrrh, patchouli creating winey, woody aroma, characterizing chypre fragrances. The base adds up warmly and sensual with vanilla, musk, amber, woody notes, honey and leather scent.

The opening is mostly myrrh and iris. I like myrrh a lot! But the iris in this is way to strong for me.

I usually stay away from juniper, but this one sounds interesting.

Updates
The juniper is pretty far in the background so you might be okay with this one.

I will say it performed fairly well BUT! It is way into the drydown before the iris dies off and leaves a nice incense vibe. I may give it another shot to see if it grows on me.

Interesting. I like juniper-forward scents, but I would say they have not really "caught on."

I know I have had a sample of Dior Bois d'Argent, but I do not remember having much of an impression of it one way or the other.

Its been awhile since I posted. Mostly because I have not gotten much reaction from anyone other than the few of us that participate often. I figured I would add a new review and see how it goes. So here we go

Today
I have had a near full bottle of this scent sitting around for awhile. I got a partial in a swap and I was waiting for the fall. Its cooler out today and hey why not. I mean, I have been forgetting all about temperature appropriate scents and just going with what I like. 90f and Interlude? why not.

So I put out the bottle last night and went for it this morning after a nice shave with a Slant, La Toja Sensitive and a brush that I made. Finished it up with Lucido aftershave. Which rocks by the way

Incense Flash from Tauerville
Retails for $63 for 30ml. By no means a steal but not bad for a niche scent. Strange that I would buy something at that price but hesitate to buy a 100ml bottle at $165 .
Notes
Fragrantica
The fragrance features incense, leather, woody notes and musk.
Luckyscent
Leather, musky woods, ambergris, incense

My nose
The incense is BIG dry and strong. I don't get much woods or musk but it is noticeable if I try. The ambergris also seems to be there if I really try hard to find it.

This kind of reminds me of the Dev series from Olympic Orchids but not as thick. This is not sweet at all and opens and little sharp. This is VERY smoky and dry.
I have been wearing it for a few hours now and its still going pretty strong. I like it but I do not love it. I will probable pass on a sample from it to someone I think might enjoy it and then try to swap the remainder.

We shall see! It may change with the dry down.

What do you think? Should I bring these back on a regular basis?

Top Bottom