What's new

GEM 1912...Really?

I used mine a couple hours ago. Yea, I would say I found one. Seemed more like a '14 than a '12. I used the same blade as the round cap on Sunday. I could have done a little cleanup after 1 pass and been as close as Sunday after 2 and a fair bit of cleanup. Felt silky smooth too, maybe better than the '14. Two passes and a tiny bit of cleanup and I'm as close to BBS as I ever bother get. Feels like a shave that will last all day and then some. I have to say the handle is fantastic, I think I have a new favorite '12. Sorry little travel ER with the short chain link handle.

I used mine a couple hours ago. Yea, I would say I found one. Seemed more like a '14 than a '12. I used the same blade as the round cap on Sunday. I could have done a little cleanup after 1 pass and been as close as Sunday after 2 and a fair bit of cleanup. Felt silky smooth too, maybe better than the '14. Two passes and a tiny bit of cleanup and I'm as close to BBS as I ever bother get. Feels like a shave that will last all day and then some. I have to say the handle is fantastic, I think I have a new favorite '12. Sorry little travel ER with the short chain link handle.

:thumbsup:

Yep, that's what fooled me, it's so smooth you don't realize how close it's shaving. Glad you experienced that too, it's a magic razor! :thumbsup:

Yep, that's what fooled me, it's so smooth you don't realize how close it's shaving. Glad you experienced that too, it's a magic razor! [emoji106]
Sadly, I won't be experiencing the magic anytime soon.

The flap that keeps the top shut and the blade pushed against the stops has no pressure. The vertical spring piece that pushes on the flap is bent outwards so it doesn't hit the flap and the blade is not held tight against the stops.

I'll need to grind off the two rivets that hold the two pieces of the head together, bend the vertical tab back, then rivet the head back together.

Sadly, I won't be experiencing the magic anytime soon.

The flap that keeps the top shut and the blade pushed against the stops has no pressure. The vertical spring piece that pushes on the flap is bent outwards so it doesn't hit the flap and the blade is not held tight against the stops.

I'll need to grind off the two rivets that hold the two pieces of the head together, bend the vertical tab back, then rivet the head back together.

Good luck on the fix, hope all goes well.

Good luck @rudyt I'll be interested to hear how it goes. I have a Damaskeene with close to the same issue On mine I believe the spring has lost it's springiness. I was able to get some back in it by just popping the cap and bending it, but it's still pretty weak. Someday I plan to drill the rivets on it too.

Good luck @rudytOn mine I believe the spring has lost it's springiness. I was able to get some back in it by just popping the cap and bending it, but it's still pretty weak.
Did you bend the spring or the "flap" that contacts the spring. The spring is the vertical tab thingey that you see *under* the head. That can't be bent to increase tension because there's not enough room between it and the back of the razor to reach the plastic limit (i.e. the point at which the spring deforms)

I bent the part that attaches to the back. It made it usable, but I feel it could be better. Here'a a pic. When I did it the cap was off so the top part of the spring was able to go forward enough to give me room.
dscf7664-jpg.589427

Can you slip a thin stainless wire behind it, as far down as possible, to use as a fulcrum to bend the spring over?

I bent the part that attaches to the back. It made it usable, but I feel it could be better. Here'a a pic. When I did it the cap was off so the top part of the spring was able to go forward enough to give me room.
dscf7664-jpg.589427

Very clear.

My son used "The Squat", he said his face hurts. :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

I'll let him use something milder. :thumbsup:
It's not for the weak or faint of heart!

I picked one up off of the BST, it's not a squat head but it has the curved cap and same handle and shaves the same.

IMAG0433_1.jpg

Hey Guys, Picked up a 1912 lately and although it isn't a squat head I'd like to parade it by some people who have some experience with this razor to see if you think it qualifies as a beastie ;)
DSCF1507 (Small).JPG
DSCF1504 (Small).JPG
DSCF1506 (Small).JPG

Hey Guys, Picked up a 1912 lately and although it isn't a squat head I'd like to parade it by some people who have some experience with this razor to see if you think it qualifies as a beastie ;) View attachment 813445 View attachment 813446 View attachment 813447

Looks like it could be beastie! How does it shave?

I have one that's not a squat head(post 94) with the same handle, I haven't done a side by side but it seems to have the same specs.

I haven't tried it yet, I like to rotate from one razor to the next with each blade change but it is next!
I have used a clog proof and really love the bullet tip razor so I hope it is at least on par with them both.
Out of curiosity, I haven't found a Streamline that I can afford but couldn't help but notice the similarity between the two razors cap wise. Wonder how they compare wrt to blade exposure...might be a reasonable alternative.

I haven't tried it yet, I like to rotate from one razor to the next with each blade change but it is next!
I have used a clog proof and really love the bullet tip razor so I hope it is at least on par with them both.
Out of curiosity, I haven't found a Streamline that I can afford but couldn't help but notice the similarity between the two razors cap wise. Wonder how they compare wrt to blade exposure...might be a reasonable alternative.

If it is beast like, it will be a lot more aggressive than the Clog Pruf and Bullet tip! Be careful, light pressure...

My Streamline is very efficient but is no beast, it's in between the MMOC and Clog Pruf.

Looks like it could be beastie! How does it shave?

I have one that's not a squat head(post 94) with the same handle, I haven't done a side by side but it seems to have the same specs.

Really? I thought it looked like a "smoothie". Either way it's a great razor! :thumbsup:

Looks like I have another Beastie in my collection, my English Ever-Ready 1912. It's got the less common handle than the usual "chain-link" one that typically comes with the English versions. Gap is 0.026". Here's a pic next to an early Damaskeene.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom