What's new

GEM 1912...Really?

It has the 1912 patent date but is not mild at all. It doesn't look damaged at all. Has a curved cap. My dry test revealed it true colors and the shave was aggressive. The comb is never in play using it shallow. It was very smooth but it was all blade. The comb is different from my other 1912 razors. The comb doesn't extend as far as the others past the blade edge. I opted to not shave my head with it, face only, and picked up the milder MMOC instead for my head shave.

The handle threads is the same as the 1914.

@rudyt @spidey9 What say you?

IMAG0383_1.jpg
IMAG0382_1.jpg
IMAG0380.jpg
IMAG0380_1.jpg

The whole head looks different, is that a "squat" head? Show the back of all three please. :001_smile

I don't have one at the moment but it looks like yours from the other thread with nothing on the back, no GEM stamp. The space between the handle threads and the comb is less than the other two 1912 razors I have.

Could it be bent or damaged in some way? It doesn't seem like it should be more aggressive than the MMOC.

The blade edge is more closer to the edge of the comb than my other 1912 razors. The comb doesn't offer any safety. I don't find it more efficient than the MMOC, just not as safe. It is as efficient as the MMOC though.

The handle (which I was admiring) looks like an "EveryReady" that someone PIF'd about a week ago. So I'm wondering if it is a British made variant?

The handle (which I was admiring) looks like an "EveryReady" that someone PIF'd about a week ago. So I'm wondering if it is a British made variant?

It's stamped Made in the U.S.A. on the inside. I got it because I liked the handle, didn't know it was going to be so tiny!

"The one I have says GEM on the back, I've never seen a blank one."

I've seen blank ones from time to time, they turn up ocassionally.

That handle is typical of the later model GEM SEs from the mid to late 1920s. I have a late model Damaskeene with that exact handle. Late model Damaskeenes say "Use GEM Damaskeene Blades" inside instead of "Use Only With GEM Damaskeene Blades". That razor is more aggressive than my early model Damakeenes. I'll check tonight at home how far out the blade sticks out from the guard.

As @TobyC also mentioned, there are two main head configurations. 99% of them are the normal head, but there are a few that came in a sleek travel case that was much lower profile than the normal ones. That might be what you have. I have never seen one in real life so I can't tell you if it's supposed to be more aggressive or the same.

This is mine. (pic from @JJH83)

IMG_0122.JPG

Beautiful razor, beautiful shave, didn't find it aggressive at all. I was able to zoom around my face with reckless abandon. Splashed on some Captains Choice Bay Rum aftershave with no sting.
This is a squat head razor, and the handle is 2 3/8 inches long, which I like on a single edge razor. Perfect! :thumbsup:

I was able to zoom around my face with reckless abandon.

I zoomed also with reckless abandon and was rewarded with nice sting from my Adidas Dynamic Pulse AS. I haven't felt sting like that from the MMOC yet.

My blade sits on the edge like yours also. I found it more efficient than my other 1912 razors.

Top Bottom