What's new

GEM 1912...Really?

Looks like I have another Beastie in my collection, my English Ever-Ready 1912. It's got the less common handle than the usual "chain-link" one that typically comes with the English versions. Gap is 0.026". Here's a pic next to an early Damaskeene.

proxy.php

proxy.php

That's a razor!!! I think it's more blade position than gap that makes a difference, blade forward on the comb=more exposure. I like those handles too, don't see those around here.

I can't edit my previous post, to add this so I'll add it here.

@rabidus - remember I once said I thought my English 1912 was one of the most aggressive SEs I owned, and shaves nothing like most other 1912s. Now I can substantiate that comment with the photos in Post #100

I can't edit my previous post, to add this so I'll add it here.

@rabidus - remember I once said I thought my English 1912 was one of the most aggressive SEs I owned, and shaves nothing like most other 1912s. Now I can substantiate that comment with the photos in Post #100

I remember!

I don't know if it was advertised or not, but it looks like there are 1912's with different levels of aggression across the board. And "1912's are mild" isn't true!

I have several with the same comb that shave different and two with a different comb that are milder.

I think it's more blade position than gap that makes a difference, blade forward on the comb=more exposure. I like those handles too, don't see those around here.
Yea, that's what I think too. On mine it seems like the blade is shifted a little forward from standard. I've used mine 5 or 6 times now and it's definitely a step up from the average 1912, not what I would call aggressive though just extra efficient.

To further add to the confusion. I have a Peerless that looks like @rudyt 's, but mine is more mild than the average '12. Not as mild as the round cap that looks like the head of @rabidus 's first little beast with a different handle though. I'm sure there are more out there, but I think it's going to be hard to tell, until you actually have one in your hands.

Yea, that's what I think too. On mine it seems like the blade is shifted a little forward from standard. I've used mine 5 or 6 times now and it's definitely a step up from the average 1912, not what I would call aggressive though just extra efficient.

To further add to the confusion. I have a Peerless that looks like @rudyt 's, but mine is more mild than the average '12. Not as mild as the round cap that looks like the head of @rabidus 's first little beast with a different handle though. I'm sure there are more out there, but I think it's going to be hard to tell, until you actually have one in your hands.

Just like any other razor, you can analyze it all day but you still don't know how it shaves until you shave with it.

If it is beast like, it will be a lot more aggressive than the Clog Pruf and Bullet tip! Be careful, light pressure...

My Streamline is very efficient but is no beast, it's in between the MMOC and Clog Pruf.
Couldn't wait for rotation day so I took the suspect Beastie for a run! Very good advice concerning the light touch as this razor leaves me with the impression that it certainly would bite if careless. Also noticed that it is as noisy as the clog proof with that much blade hanging out. Shave left me smooth and clean, I was less inclined to work away at the clean up strokes I usually do with my other razors around the chin line just in case. Thanks all.

Couldn't wait for rotation day so I took the suspect Beastie for a run! Very good advice concerning the light touch as this razor leaves me with the impression that it certainly would bite if careless. Also noticed that it is as noisy as the clog proof with that much blade hanging out. Shave left me smooth and clean, I was less inclined to work away at the clean up strokes I usually do with my other razors around the chin line just in case. Thanks all.

Awesome! :thumbsup:

Revisiting this thread was such an interesting read. Tell ya what reckless abandon is not the way I'm gonna be using my newly acquired squat head. This thing does not compare at all to my 1914, or any other, it is as described in the OP all blade. It's closer to my Ikon Tech than my standard 1912.

And I have another on the way just for fun.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Great BUT this on my head just eats the PTFE blade. Still a marvelous performer but for a little tug ATG on my head like I get from the SE2.

proxy.php

Great thread, glad I got routed over here! @jmudrick your posts are the icing on the cake. Nice catalog excerpt, and excellent photos for comparing flat v curved.

Top Bottom