What's new

"Powder-y" Aftershaves

Interesting about the stirling barber shop. I'm on a huge Stirling, TOBS kick right now in which I'm clearing everything out and will only use those brands. I'm trying to find a nice fruity aftershave if anyone has any suggestions? Something that goes with the grapefruit and lavender/plumeria scents.

To me the word 'powdery' goes with the talc that the barber used to put on my neck after a haircut when I was growing up. That talc was Clubman!

So I guess my concept combines 'powdery' and 'barbershop.' To me that means: Clubman, but also Floid, Proraso and Fine American Blend. But this is very subjective and YMMV.

The "powdery" scent I'm describing is exactly like the Clubman talcum powder. It certainly has a baby power scent to it. I don't get that from Fine - American Blend (that's much more like Barbasol to me). I certainly get it from Clubman and Floid Vigoroso.

Stirling Barbershop I find quite powdery.
Barbasol Brisk has a bit of powder.
And Clubman of course.
I never got powder from Fine AB...

I don't get powdery from American Blend either. And I don't understand the Barbasol thing either. It doesn't smell anything like barbasol to me.

I don't get powdery from American Blend either. And I don't understand the Barbasol thing either. It doesn't smell anything like barbasol to me.
I have a bottle of Barbasol and am not a fan. It's thick and heavy on the skin and makes my face look oily and shiny. The scent is ok but not much more than that.

Oh, they're talking about a Barbasol aftershave(which I don't think I've ever smelled)? I thought I read somewhere that it was supposed to smell like Barbasol shaving cream, which I don't think it does.

The Stetson! Just wore it today and it's wonderful. It's definitely in the same ballpark as Wild Country but I'm sensing a little leather in there. Not sure if I'm imagining it just due to the era that it's from, but I like it. I want to find some cologne but I'm slightly curious to know if the newer version has changed any.
June2017 094.JPG

Oh, they're talking about a Barbasol aftershave(which I don't think I've ever smelled)? I thought I read somewhere that it was supposed to smell like Barbasol shaving cream, which I don't think it does.

If they're talking the balm, I'm sure it's some sporty body spray type scent. Barbasol Brisk splash smells like Skin Bracer.

I'll pitch a curveball.........

Honeybee Gardens Bay Rum

It's got a very subtle "Bay Rummy" scent, but the first whiff whenever I use it always reminds me of Mennen Skin Bracer
It's also very soothing

I bought it "blind" because after a bad experience with Pinaud Clubman Bay Rum, I wanted a Bay Rum that didn't smell too clovey - HBG Bay Rum was more of an interim, my Bay Rum of choice is now Suavecito

HBG Bay Rum is a great aftershave in itself and has a scent of it's own that isn't strictly a Bay Rum - just a great scent

As an afterthought another surprisingly powdery scent is Old Spice Musk from India
My Musk of choice is Jovan Musk, but I love the Indian Old Spice Original and Fresh Lime, so it was hardly surprising that there was an Old Spice Musk shaped hole in my bathroom.

Although the musky scent is there, I find the sweetish powdery scent to be more obvious

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, Royal Copenhagen aftershave has a powdery scent. I had a bottle of it and some of the spray cologne. I still have the cologne and it is definitely powdery smelling. I believe the aftershave splash smelled the same. My dad liked it so I gave him the bottle of aftershave. It is very inexpensive stuff, You can get an 8oz. bottle from Walmart online for $12.83.
royal copenhagen-1.jpg

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Do any of you know what makes this powder-y fragrance and do you have any recommendations for other powder-y scented aftershave splashes?

Powdery notes in aftershaves are usually thanks to the interaction and dry-down of aldehydes with other ingredients like Heliotropium Arborescens for instance, which is one of the more common.

In the beginning, aldehydes add brightness and sparkle to an aftershave. As the scent progresses, they add a softness and rounded 'powdery' quality.

This is where the old school, barber shop scent is purposefully recreated, for back when one would not only get a splash of aftershave from the barber for a 'finish', but also, a good dusting down of talc with a brush.

Powdery notes in aftershaves are usually thanks to the interaction and dry-down of aldehydes with other ingredients like Heliotropium Arborescens for instance, which is one of the more common.

In the beginning, aldehydes add brightness and sparkle to an aftershave. As the scent progresses, they add a softness and rounded 'powdery' quality.

This is where the old school, barber shop scent is purposefully recreated, for back when one would not only get a splash of aftershave from the barber for a 'finish', but also, a good dusting down of talc with a brush.
Heliotropium Arborescens-- "the tree that turns [its leaves] to the sun." I hate it when scientists combine Greek & Latin words in the same botanical name. Pick a classical language and stick to it!

When I want that barbershop powder scent I follow my shave with a cheap bay rum and a little shake of Clubman talc. I buy the "bath talc"- it isn't as fine as the regular barber talc, but it has the same original Clubman scent. Perfect!

Good info!

Top Bottom