What's new

"Powder-y" Aftershaves

Things must be different in the US then as in the UK Brut was launched in 1964 and the budget range Brut 33, so called because it contained 33% of the fragrance of the original, was launched in 1968 when it transferred to plastic bottles. In 1989, following the acquisition by Unilever, Brut 33 became again known simply as Brut. It seems like a company and brand with a complicated history, but that is my understanding. To my knowledge the brand has always been known as 'low-class' as evidenced by the sheer number of working class men, including my Father, who used it. I even received it as Christmas and birthday gifts as a child, when far too young to have started shaving. Today, a 100ml glass bottle of pre 1968 Brut, splash or spray on lotion, will cost anything up to £50, if you can find it. Even the Brut 33 is now increasing in price. The modern Brut, be it from the UK, US, or India, EDT or cologne, whether it is labelled Faberge or not, is but a shadow of the original.

Brut EdT is still being made.

1/3 strength of an EdT is an eau de Cologne.

Reformulations happen as regulatory standards change and/or ingredients become cost-prohibitive or ecologically unsustainable. Practically every old fragrance out there has undergone one, at one time or another.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Brut EdT is still being made.

1/3 strength of an EdT is an eau de Cologne.

Reformulations happen as regulatory standards change and/or ingredients become cost-prohibitive or ecologically unsustainable. Practically every old fragrance out there has undergone one, at one time or another.
I accept what you say and do not disagree but am not sure what point you are trying to make. My opinion, and it is only my opinion, is that vintage Faberge Brut is stronger and far superior to any modern day version, it has a very noticable powdery dry down which is the subject of this thread, and it is also coincidentally much more expensive. This is, as you point out, not uncommon when scents are reformulated as many have been. That is all I am saying, all I was trying to say, and all I will say. Happy shaves.

Did anyone mention Avon Black Suede? You'll have to hunt for aftershave "splash" as they don't make it anymore. It's currently only in cologne and aftershave balm. To me it's quite powdery.

Black Suede by Avon is a Oriental fragrance for men. Black Suede was launched in 1980. The fragrance features nutmeg, amber, musk, oakmoss, cloves and woodsy notes.

I'm a big fan of (the sadly discontinued) Floris Vetiver. I find it to be a very crisp, fresh, powdery vetiver which made it different from others.

Top Bottom