What's new

What Are You Reading?

Night of the Chalk,by Samuel Gately.

A very good action-oriented fantasy. No tiresome "coming of age" or "epic quest" tropes, and no thinly - veiled political statements. Just a straightforward action tale, written very well. Refreshing.

I liked it enough I will probably buy the sequel.

I decided to wait it out until he's finished the series so I can read them all at once. Curious to hear what you think though, as I'm a huge Dresden fanboy, and I enjoyed Alera as well.

Finished it during lunch today. I really enjoyed it. I liked the world, the magic, the dialog, and the foreshadowing of what the rest of the series should offer. If I can't have a Dresden book with every release, I don't mind getting a Cinder Spire's book in its place.

Wind From The Carolinas

So far it's pretty good. It's about a family of Loyalists who leave South Carolina to set up life in the Bahamas following the Revolution. Jimmy Buffett recommended it, so I figured I'd give it a try.

If Jimmy recommended it, I'm in! :001_cool: I'm going to order it.

At my 12yr old daughter's request - currently re-reading "Two Years Before the Mast", by Richard Henry Dana. I love his descriptions of a sailor's life in that era, and especially his portrait of 1834-'36 California.

I've never read any Jim Butcher, but he seems to get a good wrap around here. Is there any place I should start with his works?

He has 3 series:
The Dresden Files (currently ongoing @ 15 books): Set in modern day Chicago about a Wizard/Detective named Harry Dresden. 1st book in the series is Storm Front. This series really gets good around book 3.

The Codex Alera (finished @ 6 books): Set in a more traditional fantasy world based on Ancient Rome. All humans have at least 1 elemental familiar spirit they are able to summon or an ability to tap into. All except 1 boy, who has no powers.

The Cinder Spires (currently ongoing @ 1 book): Set in a fansasy world based on Victorian area Europe. People live in floating Spires and there are airships.

The Dresden files are Jim's most popular books. He's building towards the end of the series. I think what makes it really stand out is how it build upon the past books. Lots of reoccurring villains, lots of genres blended together (vampires, biblical inspired creatures, faerie, Greek and Norse mythology, etc.

I am all caught up on Jim Butcher's Dresden and Spires serie, which kinda lead me to the current series of books I am reading; the Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne

Very similar to Dresden in that it is an urban fantasy but centered on the last Druid, Atticus O'Sullivan, who has been spending the last couple of years running a bookshop in Tempe, AZ. He pissed off the Tuatha De Danann about 2,100 yrs ago and has been hiding out ever since

The series starts when they figure out where he is and involves the Fae, witches, vampires, werewolves, Norse gods, Native American gods and even a visit or two from good ole JC himself

Told in the first person, the character Atticus is very funny and has great conversations with his dog, Oberon

I am all caught up on Jim Butcher's Dresden and Spires serie, which kinda lead me to the current series of books I am reading; the Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne

Very similar to Dresden in that it is an urban fantasy but centered on the last Druid, Atticus O'Sullivan, who has been spending the last couple of years running a bookshop in Tempe, AZ. He pissed off the Tuatha De Danann about 2,100 yrs ago and has been hiding out ever since

The series starts when they figure out where he is and involves the Fae, witches, vampires, werewolves, Norse gods, Native American gods and even a visit or two from good ole JC himself

Told in the first person, the character Atticus is very funny and has great conversations with his dog, Oberon

First 4 books or so were REALLY good. The last few haven't had quite the same level of humor and the story line has gotten a tad repetitive. Hoping for a good finale this fall/winter.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have to admit something- I am considering a Kindle Voyage. I am being lured by the convenience of it all. Now that the house is paid off, I want to do some traveling. I love physical books, but having multiple titles in one unit is alluring.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I'm about halfway through Émile Zola's Thérèse Raquin. I bought it about seven or eight years ago after reading Germinal, but never got around to picking it up until a couple of weeks ago.

I have to admit something- I am considering a Kindle Voyage. I am being lured by the convenience of it all. Now that the house is paid off, I want to do some traveling. I love physical books, but having multiple titles in one unit is alluring.
I read pretty much everything on my phone now. It's just too convenient to be able to pull it out and read anywhere.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I read pretty much everything on my phone now. It's just too convenient to be able to pull it out and read anywhere.
The problem, for me at least, with phone or IPad is that it is too easy to stop reading and pop onto the internet to find out what's up. I get distracted too easily :)

I ended up with a Kindle Paperwhite. When my Nook Simpletouch died. To me, the spec difference between the Voyager and Paperwhite didn't offset the price difference.

I love having a dedicated ereader. I do read on my phone (waiting on line, too lazy to get up off the sofa, etc), but when I use the Kindle I immediately appreciate the larger screen, the e-ink display, etc. I'm also on the bookbub mailing list so I get notified of the Free, $.99, $1.99, and $2.99 sales every day. I currently have 15 books in my queue because I saw the sale and picked it up. It's awesome to be able to switch to a different book on a whim.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I ended up with a Kindle Paperwhite. When my Nook Simpletouch died. To me, the spec difference between the Voyager and Paperwhite didn't offset the price difference.

I love having a dedicated ereader. I do read on my phone (waiting on line, too lazy to get up off the sofa, etc), but when I use the Kindle I immediately appreciate the larger screen, the e-ink display, etc. I'm also on the bookbub mailing list so I get notified of the Free, $.99, $1.99, and $2.99 sales every day. I currently have 15 books in my queue because I saw the sale and picked it up. It's awesome to be able to switch to a different book on a whim.
I like the adaptive light sensor and the button (as well as swipe) to advance pages. I like the idea of the screen automatically changing depending on my lighting conditions.

Ernest Hemingway ----- "A Moveable Feast" ----- My third time through this classic.
Parisian cuisine, wine, and people ----- a perfect escape from everyday life !

I'm reading Ken Follett's A Place Called Freedom. Not his greatest work, but better than average, I would say. Also working on Bill Hybel's Too Busy Not To Pray and in the car I'm listening to Salvatore's Dark Elf Series. I finished Homeland and now I'm on to Exile. Again, not his best, but still enjoyable.

Top Bottom