What's new

What Are You Reading?

In finished Erikson's Fall of Light, a challenging but excellent read - as most of Erikson's books are.

I started something a little easier, Richard Kadrey's Sandman Slim.

Wind From The Carolinas

So far it's pretty good. It's about a family of Loyalists who leave South Carolina to set up life in the Bahamas following the Revolution. Jimmy Buffett recommended it, so I figured I'd give it a try.

I've just started on the first of that series Leviathan Wakes. I'm enjoying the heck out of it so far!

I've been watching The Expanse on SyFy, this is definitely a series I want to read.

I finished Sandman Slim. It was a fun Urban Fantasy, reminded me a little of Tad William's Bobby Dollar series.

I started Age of Myth by Michael Sullivan. He does pretty much unabashed-classic Fantasy.

"Somebody I Used to Know" by David Bell. Decent thriller overall. But I do not think I would recommend. Plot is just too convoluted and result-oriented to be "believable," and I usually have a fairly high tolerance for such things. Also, the protagonist seems beyond the pale self-absorbed, which is distracting. I have the feeling that this author could do much better and perhaps has.

Finished Age of Myth, it was a fun read. I bought Jim Butcher's The Aeronaut's Windlass. Loved his other 2 series and I'm looking forward to this one as well.

I bought Jim Butcher's The Aeronaut's Windlass. Loved his other 2 series and I'm looking forward to this one as well.

I decided to wait it out until he's finished the series so I can read them all at once. Curious to hear what you think though, as I'm a huge Dresden fanboy, and I enjoyed Alera as well.

Caleb Roehrig's Last Seen Leaving--YA, thriller. Gets good reviews, but I am about 3/4 of the way through and it seems like it has been moving very slowly for a long time. Perhaps too much teenage angst for me. I was trying to figure out whether it is "dark." Some very dark things happen, I suppose. The thriller part seems formulaic. The coming of age part is okay, except I would say that I do not feel like I "know" any of the characters except on a two dimensional basis other than the narrator and I have no particular reason to care for them. That is what I get for reading something YA, I suppose, even if it did get good reviews.

If you know a woman (who does not) you're mother, wife, niece, daughter, or any woman at all purchase this book for them. It is a must read for all women. Not to mention men, boys also. Well worth the few bucks it costs. Very insightful and will definitely make you think...
gift of fear 001.JPG

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
proxy.php
Now, I reading the classic Russian novel "Oblomov" and did you know that Tolstoy once said, "Oblomov is a truly great work, the likes of which one has not seen for a long, long time. I am in rapture over Oblomov and keep rereading it", and Dostoyevsky, among others, considered him a author of high stature
proxy.php

Works Cited: Wikipedia.org/Oblomov

reading-a-book-in-bed-png.780138
"I'm not lazy...I just really enjoy doing nothing". Current Marketing Proverb
My Friends:
So far, I've read 66pgs of this novel and I can't seem to 'put-it-down'.
proxy.php

It's 'cleverly' written in the third person narrator style (a kind of grammatical Mandarin which is supposed to preserve the true meaning and soul of the writer), but also thus far mentions cigars (pgs 42, 46, & 51), and shaving (pg 63). :thumbsup:

I think I'm gonna enjoy this book...just like Tolstoy.

proxy.php
"Reading is to mind what exercise is to the body. Joseph Addison

Last edited:
On to The High Mountains of Portugal by Yann Martel. Opening chapter has the main character walking the streets of the oldest area of Lisbon in the early morning, bringing back memories of a day in Lisbon several years ago when we walked through Alfama to Belém after landing at sunrise (We faced forward, though!). Much easier read than Blindness. To Porto in less than 2 months!

Last edited:

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Rereading "Where Eagles Dare" by Alistair MacLean. It's probably been about ten years since I read it, and when I found it in a box of books I had packed away, I had to take it for another spin.

Top Bottom