What's new

Fragrance Samples Discussion Thread

Midnight in Paris is a wonderful fragrance and I can see why it's well received.

It is one of the few leather-forward fragrances that I do enjoy. The leather is smooth, non-rubbery. Mellow smokiness. Almond biscotti. A gorgeous flacon. Long lasting with moderate projection. I wounder why it was ever discontinued.

It is one of the few leather-forward fragrances that I do enjoy. The leather is smooth, non-rubbery. Mellow smokiness. Almond biscotti. A gorgeous flacon. Long lasting with moderate projection. I wounder why it was ever discontinued.

I wore it again this morning and I don't really care for the powdery opening, but man after a few minutes MIP hits its stride. I'll have to find a bottle of this because you're right, the bottle is super nice and the juice is great.

I was not 100% sure what Iso E super smelled like. Many people seem to enjoy it so I bought some Iso E super to try. NOW I KNOW! Its a smell I will never forget. If anyone wants it I will give it to anyone who wants to pay shipping.

I decided to try the Iso E today, and all I got was alcohol. I even tried it on a piece of paper to see if it was me, but nothing, nada

I decided to try the Iso E today, and all I got was alcohol. I even tried it on a piece of paper to see if it was me, but nothing, nada
The opening is alcohol for sure. You should get more out of it on your skin after a half hour or so. The only thing I am not sure about is how long it should rest before use. When I did mine it sat for a month or so before I used it. Yours I made up and sent out. When you make your own perfumes they really need to sit for awhile before use. This is a known issue with buying artisan made perfumes. Many of them bottle it and send it out and then suck when you get them for a month or so. A new house has been attacked for this exact issue.

Try it again after a month or so.

The opening is alcohol for sure. You should get more out of it on your skin after a half hour or so. The only thing I am not sure about is how long it should rest before use. When I did mine it sat for a month or so before I used it. Yours I made up and sent out. When you make your own perfumes they really need to sit for awhile before use. This is a known issue with buying artisan made perfumes. Many of them bottle it and send it out and then suck when you get them for a month or so. A new house has been attacked for this exact issue.

Try it again after a month or so.
This is a good read on ISO E
http://myperfumediaries.blogspot.com/2011/02/iso-e-super.html

I am going to let you all read the below and see if you can guess what I am wearing today. Feel free to post a thought or just wait in suspense.

Rick since you already know what I have new in my samples no guessing for you.

Woke up early today and decided to just go into work early. As I was getting ready I sprayed a small amount of frag on my wrist. Opening was very much lemon and bergamot. This was not a bright summer like citrus but more of a deep oily scent. This only lasted a couple of minutes and then I got a touch of oud but very light and cedar maybe some warm sandalwood. I finished getting ready a spray a full spray on my arms and one on the chest. This is a decant so the sprays are not heavy.

At one point while sniffing every 30 seconds or so I got more oud but only once. After 15 minutes I got a ton of pepper. Very spicy woodsy scent and maybe some musk. On the way to work I was still getting a lot of pepper and cedar and at one point it reminded me of Spicebomb without cinnamon.

Its been about 45 minutes now and I am getting some spice and cedar like fresh cut wood and some citrus again not a bright citrus but more of a lemon / bergamot oil. If I try real hard I can get a little oud.

More to come later.

I'm working my way through a Shay & Blue sampler. These are very nice frags. I'll put some comments up on my second run through.

I am going to let you all read the below and see if you can guess what I am wearing today. Feel free to post a thought or just wait in suspense.

Rick since you already know what I have new in my samples no guessing for you.

Woke up early today and decided to just go into work early. As I was getting ready I sprayed a small amount of frag on my wrist. Opening was very much lemon and bergamot. This was not a bright summer like citrus but more of a deep oily scent. This only lasted a couple of minutes and then I got a touch of oud but very light and cedar maybe some warm sandalwood. I finished getting ready a spray a full spray on my arms and one on the chest. This is a decant so the sprays are not heavy.

At one point while sniffing every 30 seconds or so I got more oud but only once. After 15 minutes I got a ton of pepper. Very spicy woodsy scent and maybe some musk. On the way to work I was still getting a lot of pepper and cedar and at one point it reminded me of Spicebomb without cinnamon.

Its been about 45 minutes now and I am getting some spice and cedar like fresh cut wood and some citrus again not a bright citrus but more of a lemon / bergamot oil. If I try real hard I can get a little oud.

More to come later.
Update
Through out the day I got mostly cedar and pepper. I could detect oud once or twice and the frag seemed to change or at least the citrus would show up here and there.

12 Hours in I had to climb around a vehicle in my coveralls and when I took them off I got a big wif of the frag. Now 14 hours or so it is close to the skin and more of a sandalwood scent.

My thoughts on........... Creed Royal Cedar or Royal Oud. Sorry I dont get a lot of oud. Its not a Oudy scent

Update
Through out the day I got mostly cedar and pepper. I could detect oud once or twice and the frag seemed to change or at least the citrus would show up here and there.

12 Hours in I had to climb around a vehicle in my coveralls and when I took them off I got a big wif of the frag. Now 14 hours or so it is close to the skin and more of a sandalwood scent.

My thoughts on........... Creed Royal Cedar or Royal Oud. Sorry I dont get a lot of oud. Its not a Oudy scent

Yeah, it's not oudy scent, but it's fantastic anyway. I think they try to create an Oud accord, and I personally don't find any "oud" scents live up to true oud, but that doesn't mean they/this isn't well composed. I don't get a lot of citrus from this juice, but I don't want this one to be citrusy lol. Hope I don't start picking up on it now ;-)

. . . and I personally don't find any "oud" scents live up to true oud, but that doesn't mean they/this isn't well composed.
I was thinking the same thing when I read Matt's post. I rarely smell "oud" like the little vials I have laying all around. Yesterday I sampled Shay and Blue's Oud Alif. All I got was leather and chocolate, perhaps with a bit of musk. It was a wonderful frag, but I missed anything I would recognize as "oud."

Yeah, it's not oudy scent, but it's fantastic anyway. I think they try to create an Oud accord, and I personally don't find any "oud" scents live up to true oud, but that doesn't mean they/this isn't well composed. I don't get a lot of citrus from this juice, but I don't want this one to be citrusy lol. Hope I don't start picking up on it now ;-)

I was thinking the same thing when I read Matt's post. I rarely smell "oud" like the little vials I have laying all around. Yesterday I sampled Shay and Blue's Oud Alif. All I got was leather and chocolate, perhaps with a bit of musk. It was a wonderful frag, but I missed anything I would recognize as "oud."

The Creed Royal Oud is wonderfully blended IMO as well. I do kind of disagree with the term Oud used though. Even other scents that do not smell of true Oud at least resemble it IMO. It is crazy that all (most) of the hyped Oud scents do not smell like the true Oud oil. I can understand why they are trying to use synthetics to imitate it though. With the cost and popularity of the note it just would not make sense.

Rick
I do get citrus but like I said it is not the bright summery scent at all.

Part of the problem for me is just how varied "oud" is. Some oils are heavy, barn-y funk (especially those from India), others are a light, ethereal "green" wood (especially from Borneo). Either of these spectrum ends will likely be toned down, if not masked, in the blend. Add to this the way some of these oils morph during dry down, . . . .

Part of the problem for me is just how varied "oud" is. Some oils are heavy, barn-y funk (especially those from India), others are a light, ethereal "green" wood (especially from Borneo). Either of these spectrum ends will likely be toned down, if not masked, in the blend. Add to this the way some of these oils morph during dry down, . . . .
Larry
For sure the few oils I have tried can be all over the map. I have yet to try a good barn yard scent. I am sure I would love it! I like animalic notes and they seem to work for me.

Larry
For sure the few oils I have tried can be all over the map. I have yet to try a good barn yard scent. I am sure I would love it! I like animalic notes and they seem to work for me.
Rick needs to send you Ensar's Aroha Kyaku. It is one of my favorites (I bought a full bottle); a wonderful booze-y, barn-y scent, imo. I'd send a different one, but I love the samples I have so much, and they are all out of production now. That's part of the "problem" with artisan oils: they're each one of a kind. I'll see if I have any duplicates.

Last edited:
Top Bottom