What's new

How long can a Zamak razor last?

I understand those made with Stainless Steel or Brass materials can last a lifetime.
How about those razors that made of zamak with chrome plating last? If chrome plating wear out, the Zamak will corrode & beyond any repair, correct?!

The 'best' case scenario: longer than you can last. With care a good Zamak razor can last many years or decades.

Unfortunately, these are not as durable if you drop one or if there is a defect in the coating, etc.

The 'best' case scenario: longer than you can last. With care a good Zamak razor can last many years or decades.

Unfortunately, these are not as durable if you drop one or if there is a defect in the coating, etc.

Long time if taken care of. I have had my Merkur Futur for 15 years without any issues

+3

They will last a long time as long as you are careful. The biggest problem is its brittleness and longevity after breaking through the plating. Dropping it will likely result in a broken screw thread...chip the plating and the underlying zamak will corrode away from the inside. I have had my Parkers, Muhles, and Merkurs for almost 4 years and they show zero signs of wear...although I only use them once or twice a month (I blame RAD).

+3

They will last a long time as long as you are careful. The biggest problem is its brittleness and longevity after breaking through the plating. Dropping it will likely result in a broken screw thread...chip the plating and the underlying zamak will corrode away from the inside. I have had my Parkers, Muhles, and Merkurs for almost 4 years and they show zero signs of wear...although I only use them once or twice a month (I blame RAD).

So, what you are saying is that with RAD (vs being careful) a zamak razor can last a lifetime. :001_cool:

Raven Koenes

My precious!

+1! Zamak heads are a traditional construction of German razors heads contrary to popular opinion that it is a modern safety razor thing. As long as the plating lasts the head will last. The plating on brass razors can compromise as well. When that happens you can get it re-plated. On a zamak you simply replace the head. Spare heads are available on line. When you figure the cost of re-plating and buying spare parts they are probably pretty comparable, so it is six of one and a half dozen of the other. I wonder how many vintage American razors were trashed back in the day due to plating loss or other issues. I don't think many people back then said, "I love my Gillette so much I'm going to have it re-plated." They simply trashed it and went to the store and picked up another. Just my thoughts and to me zamak is no big deal.

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
+3

I used my 34c everyday for over a year with zero sign of wear. Their was a gentleman who posted he had a Merkur he's used since 1984 that likewise showed no signs of wear.

Last edited:
I have a vintage merkur from the 50s. I don't know what it's made of. If it's zamak that would put the answer at indefinitely. Whether it is or not I think the answer is still indefinitely. I'm pretty sure you could drop one tomorrow and Break it. I'm also pretty sure you could drop one once a year and have it for decades. I've dropped some several times with no ill affects.

$17ud3i.jpg

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I've got vintage German razors that have held up since pre-WWII days, no problems with Zamak.

If you're going to listen to all the Zamak haters and avoid them you'll be missing out on some incredible shavers, and that's OK ... easier bidding for me.

How long can last new car, new bike, new chair or new fork and spoon?

Probably until you crash, lose or someone steal them from you. All depends how you take care it.

Why no one ask how long can last new gillette mach 3 or fusion razor?

Why only de razor should last many years?

Zamak is a mixture of many metals which is why it's also called pot metal. In the past they'd mix together many quality leftover metals. So some of the older Zamak razor's were of a very good quality that would last for decades or longer. The ones being made today are mostly zinc which is not very durable. So once the protective surface is comprised it isn't long before failure. For a Zamak razor today I'd figure one to three years or one good drop, whatever comes first.

Zamak is a mixture of many metals which is why it's also called pot metal. In the past they'd mix together many quality leftover metals. So some of the older Zamak razor's were of a very good quality that would last for decades or longer. The ones being made today are mostly zinc which is not very durable. So once the protective surface is comprised it isn't long before failure. For a Zamak razor today I'd figure one to three years or one good drop, whatever comes first.
No Pot Metal is not the same as Zamak. There are standards for Zamak but not for pot metal. A good Zamak head will last a lifetime if taken care of. However any plating loss or damage will require a replacement. There is so much scare mongering around Zamak, but some people are easily convinced of the worse.

There are different grades of Zamak, some are more durable than others, and all zinc alloys are not Zamak,... brass is a zinc alloy!

Raven Koenes

My precious!

That's a pretty bold claim that modern zamak is worse and older zamak razors better. Can you source that claim? It seems like zamak standards give zamak different properties for differing purposes and does not necessarily mean superior or inferior products. What standard is a modern Merkur compared to vintage merkur? I would like to know are old German razors say a zamak 3 and new German razors say a zamak 7? If so does that necessarily mean inferior or are they the same standard? I've read this claim over and over that the current made German razors are inferior zamak but have never seen the proof and I've googled it. Maybe I missed it so maybe you can help. I think the real test will be in fifty years if modern Merkur's are still floating around on places like ebay in comparative numbers with production rates taken into consideration.

Last edited:
... A good Zamak head will last a lifetime if taken care of. However any plating loss or damage will require a replacement. There is so much scare mongering around Zamak, but some people are easily convinced of the worse.

$Zamak rot Jagger.jpg

$Broken Jagger.jpg

:nonod:

Top Bottom