What's new

Tabac- top tier?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
The one bad thing about the smell of Tabac soap, is not having the Tabac AS to splash on after it.

The only thing better than Tabac, is more Tabac. :)

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Tabac is highly rated for a veryt good reason. Now it's up to you to discover for yourself if it's one of YOUR top soaps.

I guess I am the 1 out of the 24 posts that says no it is not. JMO but for me it lacks some glide and I don't like the feeling right after the razor pass, there is no slickness to it and leaves the just shaved area tacky. I do like the smell though. I am going to give it a couple more tries to work out the lather thing as the last time I used it I bowl lathered and worked in a lot of water and it seemed to be better.

I guess I am the 1 out of the 24 posts that says no it is not. JMO but for me it lacks some glide and I don't like the feeling right after the razor pass, there is no slickness to it and leaves the just shaved area tacky. I do like the smell though. I am going to give it a couple more tries to work out the lather thing as the last time I used it I bowl lathered and worked in a lot of water and it seemed to be better.

Made with enough water, Tabac is one of the slickest soaps around--one reason it's favored by the straight razor folks.

Tabac makes impressive-looking lather after only a few seconds. But it's not done yet. :w00t:

Made with enough water, Tabac is one of the slickest soaps around--one reason it's favored by the straight razor folks.

Tabac makes impressive-looking lather after only a few seconds. But it's not done yet. :w00t:

Sure it makes nice looking lather but I don't shave on looks. I need performance in a soap not looks. It does seem to lather easy which is a plus but still need the performance in a soap and for me it seems to be lacking it. I am going to going to give it a couple more tries to work on the lather to see if I can get an improvement on it.

It is not my intention to ruffle feather when it comes to this soap. I just answered the OP's question honestly. I bought into all the hype and bought 2 tubs of the stuff and that was a mistake on my part. One of those "couldn't pass up a deal" things. As I said it was JMO.

Sure it makes nice looking lather but I don't shave on looks. I need performance in a soap not looks. It does seem to lather easy which is a plus but still need the performance in a soap and for me it seems to be lacking it. I am going to going to give it a couple more tries to work on the lather to see if I can get an improvement on it.

It is not my intention to ruffle feather when it comes to this soap. I just answered the OP's question honestly. I bought into all the hype and bought 2 tubs of the stuff and that was a mistake on my part. One of those "couldn't pass up a deal" things. As I said it was JMO.
Use more product. Couple that with adequate water. Don't buy into load times, 20 seconds, 30 seconds is a fallacy and misleading especially for new members in my opinion. Just keep loading and lightly adding water as you load. Tabac likes water. Build your lather on the puck before taking it to your face. A good brush will up your game too. I know your not asking for advice though it is clear that you are frustrated so I felt compelled to chime in. Honestly, if you are lacking performance with Tabac it is highly likely you are doing something wrong or just need a slight adjustment. Good luck!
Sorry for the derail. Yep top tier, scent uninspiring.

Last edited:

I think the point was getting the right product to water ratio to get the slickness it definitely has, not how it looks. Load lots and get the right amount of water in there and it should be slicker than snot on a hot day.

I don't think you ruffled any feathers with your opinion. It is just that all soaps do not lather up the same way and possibly a little experimentation might help. Hope it does anyway.

Bob

Compared to what? ABC? C&S, SMN? Nuavia? Not even close.

I have paid a lot more for a puck of soap and gained very little in actual performance. If you rank soaps by cost then Tabac would loose. To me Tabac is a better soap than anyone needs to get a great shave with.

Bob

I have paid a lot more for a puck of soap and gained very little in actual performance. If you rank soaps by cost then Tabac would loose.

The OP question asked nothing about value, in which case cost/shave would need to be evaluated along with technical performance.

The Law of Diminishing Returns effects all products sold. To be in the same tier as the others, it would need the appropriate incremental improvements at the greater cost. Increasing increments of performance always cost proportionally more at the top of the performance pyramid.

You don't pay $500,000 for a Rolls Royce to get you to the grocery store any quicker than $5,000 Yugo, yet the ride might be a lot better.

Definitely a top tier soap, but I can only use it during the fall and winter. For some reason the scent doesn't appeal to me during the hot months.

Top Bottom