What's new

Tabac- top tier?

I don't consider Tabac to be a top-tier soap ... the shaves I get from it are average, usually CCS~DFS at best.
I can't remember Tabac ever giving me a BBS shave.

I use it for the scent, and only during cold weather.
And I enjoy the whole range of products,
going whole-hog with the soap, cream, ASL, EdC, deodorant, etc.

I recently picked up on a new line called Tabac Gentle Men's Care.
The gift box I bought included travel sizes of EdC, spray deodorant, and body wash.

I've only used it a few times, but I really like this new line from Maurer & Wirtz.
Its the same great performance as the original, but in a milder scent that can be used year-round.

The scent is not at all like Tabac Original.
It reminds me of another product that I use regularly, but I haven't figure out which one.
I'll be posting reviews on these products on B&B sometime in the next few weeks.

Thinking about this, the OP question and staunch defense of the product by some has me wondering.

Top tier, the best of the best, need no defense. They stand on their own. Staunch defense of any product, any consumer product in any area of consumption, should not be needed for the best of the best. The elite stand on their own.

just saying ...

The OP question asked nothing about value, in which case cost/shave would need to be evaluated along with technical performance.

The Law of Diminishing Returns effects all products sold. To be in the same tier as the others, it would need the appropriate incremental improvements at the greater cost. Increasing increments of performance always cost proportionally more at the top of the performance pyramid.

You don't pay $500,000 for a Rolls Royce to get you to the grocery store any quicker than $5,000 Yugo, yet the ride might be a lot better.

Yup, the old law of diminishing returns is heavily at work with shaving soaps for sure, as well as with most other things. The trouble with ranking shaving soaps and creams into tiers is that there are no standard test for different properties of the product so it is down to an individuals opinion. That opinion varies with what that person has experienced with that particular product, hoe good they are at making a decent lather and their skin type/condition. It's because of that the most I'll say about a shaving soap/cream is that I think it is good or not to my liking. Personally, I am lucky that the shave I get from using Arko, Tabac or MdC are all good and close enough to each other to make me wonder if spending more is worth the game.

I do not think the OP would be disappointed at all with the purchase of Tabac unless the scent is not to their liking. You could add that qualifier to most shaving soaps/creams. It is up to the individual to figure out if they want to pay much more for really very little gain.

Bob

Use more product. Couple that with adequate water. Don't buy into load times, 20 seconds, 30 seconds is a fallacy and misleading especially for new members in my opinion. Just keep loading and lightly adding water as you load. Tabac likes water. Build your lather on the puck before taking it to your face. A good brush will up your game too. I know your not asking for advice though it is clear that you are frustrated so I felt compelled to chime in. Honestly, if you are lacking performance with Tabac it is highly likely you are doing something wrong or just need a slight adjustment. Good luck!
Sorry for the derail. Yep top tier, scent uninspiring.

It kind of looks like I ruffled some feather since I am getting feedback that I really don't need. It looks as though some just can't take the negative feedback to there so called "precious soap" and have to reply in defense of it. I was only answering the OP's question honestly. Some soaps just don't work for some people and this just might be on. I don't need any advice on how to load, or how long to load, or how much water to add. No I am no expert at lathering. I have an excellent brush. I did say I was still going to give it a try and work on it. The 3 shaves I have had so far with it, the 3 experimental lather(no shave) it does lather great. I bowl lathered and kept adding water but this soap only holds do much water before it turns to milk just like any soap. So far to me the performance just isn't there. But will try again.

I think the point was getting the right product to water ratio to get the slickness it definitely has, not how it looks. Load lots and get the right amount of water in there and it should be slicker than snot on a hot day.

I don't think you ruffled any feathers with your opinion. It is just that all soaps do not lather up the same way and possibly a little experimentation might help. Hope it does anyway.

Bob

Again, no the point of this thread was asking if this soap was top tier! And again "THIS IS JUST MY OPINION" I really don't think it is. But apparently my opinion doesn't matter when I say that it seems the performance just isn't there. I am still working on it and I will give it a few more tries. I do know that not all soaps lather the same and I do adjust how much I load. I never have gone by time just by the sound of the soap makes and how much soap is gathered on the brush. I have a number of soaps I have tried and some take about one to two dozen swirls and some I have to load I would guess over 2 minutes. If I can lather Williams I think I know what I am doing even though I am an amateur at this soap thing.

Thanks.

Thinking about this, the OP question and staunch defense of the product by some has me wondering.

Top tier, the best of the best, need no defense. They stand on their own. Staunch defense of any product, any consumer product in any area of consumption, should not be needed for the best of the best. The elite stand on their own.

just saying ...
Really? Are there any soaps that are so universally acclaimed that they need no defense? Just looking at the "never again thread" makes me think even the best have people that won't buy them again.

just saying ...

I have no idea what you are saying. But I don't need you to clarify.

Again, no the point of this thread was asking if this soap was top tier! And again "THIS IS JUST MY OPINION" I really don't think it is. But apparently my opinion doesn't matter when I say that it seems the performance just isn't there. I am still working on it and I will give it a few more tries. I do know that not all soaps lather the same and I do adjust how much I load. I never have gone by time just by the sound of the soap makes and how much soap is gathered on the brush. I have a number of soaps I have tried and some take about one to two dozen swirls and some I have to load I would guess over 2 minutes. If I can lather Williams I think I know what I am doing even though I am an amateur at this soap thing.

Thanks.

It is just opinion. Believe me... it really is.

Lathering Williams isn't hard... :001_huh:

Nor is eating stinging nettle... but not everyone is a goat.

Thanks Gentlemen. Our OP asked about Tabac- let's keep things on topic.

Yup, the old law of diminishing returns is heavily at work with shaving soaps for sure, as well as with most other things. The trouble with ranking shaving soaps and creams into tiers is that there are no standard test for different properties of the product so it is down to an individuals opinion. That opinion varies with what that person has experienced with that particular product, hoe good they are at making a decent lather and their skin type/condition. It's because of that the most I'll say about a shaving soap/cream is that I think it is good or not to my liking. Personally, I am lucky that the shave I get from using Arko, Tabac or MdC are all good and close enough to each other to make me wonder if spending more is worth the game.

I do not think the OP would be disappointed at all with the purchase of Tabac unless the scent is not to their liking. You could add that qualifier to most shaving soaps/creams. It is up to the individual to figure out if they want to pay much more for really very little gain.

Bob

Exactly. Without getting into detail in my first reply this is what I was getting at. To me, I would not consider this a top tier soap. If I, repeat "I", were to compare soaps I have used I would be ranking VDH Luxury far above Tabac because it is working for me. I know I just opened another can of worms saying that. But it is JMO. The only way to find out if you consider it top tier in your book is to try it and find out where it ranks in your book. You may like it. A lot of people don't like the scent but like the performance of it. Funny thing I am the opposite, I kind of like the scent as it reminds me of the Old Spice deodorant I used 30 years ago only a tad stronger, but so far I just don't like the performance. Judge it for yourself.

Thanks.

Yup, if you can lather Williams you should be able to lather anything. Personally, I give Williams a pass even though I can lather it too. Just not worth the bother when there is Arko handy.

No, your opinion is worth pretty much what all opinions are worth in that there will be differences of opinion over any product. Your opinion is right for you in your experience with Tabac.

I do question my own opinion of any product when it runs counter to what the majority of users report. I do try and take a second look at it and see if I am somehow responsible for the failure. After some experimentation, if I still can't make it work then I move on and accept it does not work for me.

Bob

Exactly. Without getting into detail in my first reply this is what I was getting at. To me, I would not consider this a top tier soap. If I, repeat "I", were to compare soaps I have used I would be ranking VDH Luxury far above Tabac because it is working for me. I know I just opened another can of worms saying that. But it is JMO. The only way to find out if you consider it top tier in your book is to try it and find out where it ranks in your book. You may like it. A lot of people don't like the scent but like the performance of it. Funny thing I am the opposite, I kind of like the scent as it reminds me of the Old Spice deodorant I used 30 years ago only a tad stronger, but so far I just don't like the performance. Judge it for yourself.

Funny you should say that about VDH Luxury Soap. I just recently tried that that soap in unscented and found it to be pretty good really. again for me. Yea, after you read all the opinions on a product in the end you are left with trying it out to see for yourself. That is where being able to buy samples can be a life saver.

Bob

Last edited:
I'd say it was a top tier soap: by reputation, value, performance and so on. However, the more i think about this the less I know what exactly defines top tier.

Perhaps, it's enough to say that I'll use it and replace it when it runs out and recommend it as one of the must-tries.

At less than $9 shipped from Amazon it is the Tallow based gold standard of price/performance. I give Tabac a 9/10 even though I don't care for the scent. Slickness is a 9.5/10 for me when properly hydrated.

Top Bottom